Author Topic: need help  (Read 548 times)

Offline Illhunter

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
need help
« on: January 23, 2007, 04:43:13 PM »
i am wanting some help i am looking for some suggestions on a handgun that would be mostly something i would carry for snake and other animals while hunting or helping my wife with her geneology searching in the overgrown graveyards and that i want something liteweight and accurate want suggestions on calibers and revolver or auto any help would be appreciated

Terry

Offline Jerry Lester

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: need help
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 05:39:32 PM »
A Ruger Single-Six convertable, or 357 Blackhawk(both in a shorter barrel like 4 5/8") would likely be just right. Personally, if you're mainly using it as a snake/small critter gun, I'd go with the Single-Six.

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 07:04:12 PM »
If I read your post correctly,I am guessing your experience level is not extensive,if that that is true I would recommend a 4in 357 Mag revolver,Colt S&W or my favorite Ruger.Easy to carry and with light 38 Special loads a kick to shoot and with Mag load plenty powerful.Also there are snake loads available,they may or may not work for you  HTH   Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 08:49:54 PM »
A .410 shotgun seems like the quick answer and better than a pistol for the purpose you have described.
I may be reading a LOT into your needs--but others seem to see the same things I do.
Give us a headsup if we are missing the mark.
IF you are not a person who shoots some or has any amout of familiarity with guns--and that is what I am seeing--a .410 in a pump, lever or breakdown single shot would serve the purpose.
I say this because a shotgun is an easy aim on these small moving creatures and would not have the carry to worry too much about the carry of the shot.
Lets have some more information and see if we can do a better job of helping.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline JKump

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 02:26:01 AM »
Get yourself a NAMED (Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Taurus, etc.) brand revolver in 22 caliber.  Load it with snake shot or regular bullets you choice.  This weapon would be a good starter weapon that both you and your wife could use and they are fun as hell to shot. ;)
Everyone has a game plan, until they get punched in the mouth.

Live everyday as if it is your last!  Because someday you will be right.

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
  • Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    • The Mountain
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 03:18:08 AM »
I will go along with what all the others have mentioned. A Ruger single six is a good pistol for chores like that and it comes with a .22 caliber cylinder and a .22 magnum cylinder. William mentioned a .410 and that is good and a little New England Firearms (NEF) youth shotgun is great to carry like that. I would go with a 20 gauge though since 20 gauge shotgun shells are a lot cheaper to buy than .410 shotgun shells.  :D
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ahab

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 04:07:03 AM »
A long stick works well to shoo the snake out of the way and doesn't cost anything. ;D
NRA Endowment
Arizona Bighorn Sheep Society member
Arizona Antelope Foundation member

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 05:14:41 AM »
Look thru some of the surplus places that advertize say in shotgun news, they have some really good buys on S&W .38s, most all you need for small critters.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 06:02:38 AM »
Take a look at the taurus .44-410.  I personally havent handled the revolver, but I hear it has been a fairly good shooter.  Take a look at the taurus forum to see more about it.  It is a revolver which shoots the .410 shell, and a .45LC, good little carryer for snakes.  Also, Any .45 with the .45 shotshells could work too.  I shoot them out of my .454 sometimes... dont used them for hunting anything like birds, cause they dont have the power, but for snakes they are an option.

And as mentioned above, I dont agree with Jkump about the .22 shot shells.  Those things are made for small rats and mice.  You put a .22 shotshell up against a snake of any size, you are going to have an angry snake.  The regular old .22 is a choice though.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline Illhunter

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 12:21:51 PM »
well i am not overly knowledgable i have done some shooting  so i do know some i want something small that i could carry kind of a sidearms for the woods and wandering around overgrown cemeteries  doing family research i would like the 410 but a shotgun is to big for my purposes a stick is ok but depending on the snake might make it mad so something in a pistol is best for my purposes thanks alot all for the help

Terry