Author Topic: Wolves  (Read 870 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Wolves
« on: January 24, 2007, 10:51:38 AM »
Just read in the paper where the State Of Alaska has been ordered to pay the legal cost of Friends Of Animals.  FOA who won a court case against the state last year over aerial Wolf Control has said it will use the money to continue their court battle against the state, to stop all Wolf Control.

And here we are with Wolves running out our ears.  They are multiplying faster than we can shoot them from the ground. We even have had wolves come into villages and grab kids. They wreck havok with a dog lot, they will come in and kill every dog if no one is around.  Many mushers have lost whole teams to wolves, yet these idiots and the people that feed them money think we need more wolves.  Some of our Moose and Caribou herds are in such poor shape now from wolf predation, that it will be decades before they recover, if we are allowed to do something about the wolf predation. The great hunting that got Alaska so much attention in the 50s and 60s was due to the heavy wolf control program done in the 40s is no more.  Back then some aerial hunters would take 150 to 200 wolves a day.  And trappers using chemicals got many more.  (I strongly agree with the ban on chemicals, but not hunting of any kind).  They made a dent in the population but a few years of not hunting them and they are right back.  You can't kill them off completely, and no one wants to.  We just want to lower their numbers that currently are out of control.

There just is not that many hunters out there hunting wolves, and they are hard to hunt.  They are the smartest animal you will run across.  They will run from most preditor calls, the only ones I have had success with are Wolf howls, Cayote howls, and Fawn Bleats in the spring.  I've had some success with feeding Ravens, sometimes then sometimes they run.  Any sign that a human has been there and they avoid that area.  They will use a snowmachine trail because it is easier than breaking a new trail themselves.  But anything out of place such as a stick to guide them to step on a trap and they will back up 100 yards or so and go around.  They will take animals out of traps, they seem to know it is safe once an animal is caught.  But you will not get them close to a cubby or any other trap set, it's like they have a sixth sense that tells them the trap is there and active.  If they hear a snow machine come into a valley they quitely fade into the brush, then head straight out of that valley.  If they hear an airplane they will hide in the brush till the airplane is gone, even in areas where they have not  been hunted by air for decades.  They equate any engine noise to man, and they know man is the only thing out there for them to be afraid of. 

To find a pack of wolves I scout till I find tracks going into a valley.  I run up the next valley with a snow machine till I get up near the head of the valley.  There I get off and walk to the top and look over without skylining myself.  I sit down and glass the area.  If I see ravens in the air circling an area I start working closer, till I can see what they are circiling.  Sometimes it can be wolves, cayotes, foxes, or even an eagle.  If it's wolves or cayotes I will try and get close, by going back over the top and working my way in the direction of the pack.  Once there I will again cross over and get a good position to shoot from.  This is why I need a good long range rifle, and good camoflage.  Sometimes the range will be 300 or 400 yards, other times it will be 600 or 700 yards.  And with snow covering everything between me and them, there is nothing to hide behind to get closer.  I have to take the long shot, or be seen.  I have learned to watch the pack to determine the Alpha male and female.  Then wait till they are the farthest away from me.  Shoot the Alpha male first, the pack will run from the loudest noise, the bullet strike, sometimes in my direction.  The Alpha female will lag behind, she will stop and look back for the Alpha male, giving me a good standing shot.  The rest of the pack will stop and wait for her, but when I shoot they will again run away from the noise.  If they are running parallel to me I keep shooting.  If they are coming toward me, I then wait till they get closer, once the Alpha animals are gone the pack will disinergrate, so let them come closer, the better the odds of getting them all.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. 

There is a pack of over twenty four animals (counted from airplanes)right now working the Wood River area.  I have run across their sign a few times, gosh there is a lot of animals there.  But they always go into the steep mountains, up into sheep country, where I can't follow on a snow machine.  I know they are ruining the sheep herd in that area, but so far I or no one I know of has been able to get close enough to them to do any damage.  I'm hoping the trapper in a nearby area will take on the challenge.  He is a much younger man than I, and the most experienced wolfer that I know of.  At two to four hundred dollars a pelt, that could be a chunck of change for him. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Wolves
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 11:26:31 AM »
As far as  I am concerned there is no good use for any wolf and they should be eradicated. Since they are the treehuggers and animal rights folks poster animal makes me even more so want them eliminated.  ;)
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline NONYA

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 02:58:58 PM »
s-s-s
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 07:36:27 PM »
Friends Of Animals have a biologist that works up here.  He is on their payroll and slants all his research to fit their agenda.  His name is Gordon Haber.  He flies a helicopter and a super cub, and is based in Cantwell.  Dr Haber (as he prefers to be called) has the frequencies that fish and game use when they radio collar a wolf, and he goes out frequently flying around looking for sign that a trapper or hunter has killed a wolf so he can make propaganda pictures, and write stories about how hunters are decimating the wolf packs.  He is paid big bucks for this by Friends Of Animals. 

Last year after Haber wrote a story about how hunters were killing some of the wolves he had been studying and had set  his research back so many years.  I wrote a Letter To The Editor, telling everyone that if they wanted to find wolves in the Cantwell area to just keep a lookout for the yellow Super Cub flowen by Haber, and to follow it.  He would lead you right to a pack of wolves since he had the frequencies to track them from the air.  Young people started watching to see when Haber flew, and on those days they were waiting for him.  Haber would fly out and go straight to a pack then circle around them trying to get a count of how many there was in the pack.  A Super Cub does not fly that fast, expecially when the pilot is watching the ground looking for signs of wolves.  The snow machiners were able to follow him to the area and locate the wolves.  They effectively killed enough that it caused Dr Haber to stop flying.  Friend Of Animals had learned that their so called research was providing a means for hunters to locate wolves.  Dr Haber stopped flying.  Everytime I or my friends see him we ask when he is going to start flying again?  He never answers.   
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 07:49:01 PM »
Friends Of Animals have a biologist that works up here.  He is on their payroll and slants all his research to fit their agenda.  His name is Gordon Haber.  He flies a helicopter and a super cub, and is based in Cantwell.  Dr Haber (as he prefers to be called) has the frequencies that fish and game use when they radio collar a wolf, and he goes out frequently flying around looking for sign that a trapper or hunter has killed a wolf so he can make propaganda pictures, and write stories about how hunters are decimating the wolf packs.  He is paid big bucks for this by Friends Of Animals. 

Last year after Haber wrote a story about how hunters were killing some of the wolves he had been studying and had set  his research back so many years.  I wrote a Letter To The Editor, telling everyone that if they wanted to find wolves in the Cantwell area to just keep a lookout for the yellow Super Cub flowen by Haber, and to follow it.  He would lead you right to a pack of wolves since he had the frequencies to track them from the air.  Young people started watching to see when Haber flew, and on those days they were waiting for him.  Haber would fly out and go straight to a pack then circle around them trying to get a count of how many there was in the pack.  A Super Cub does not fly that fast, expecially when the pilot is watching the ground looking for signs of wolves.  The snow machiners were able to follow him to the area and locate the wolves.  They effectively killed enough that it caused Dr Haber to stop flying.  Friend Of Animals had learned that their so called research was providing a means for hunters to locate wolves.  Dr Haber stopped flying.  Everytime I or my friends see him we ask when he is going to start flying again?  He never answers.   

Good one I like the fact that his flying backfired on him.  ;D ;D ;D
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 09:40:49 AM »
sourdough,  you are my new personal hero of the week.   bless you buddy. 

Offline WmRoy

• A Real Regular
    • Gun Collectors Forum
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 01:17:32 PM »
My Grandfather was a federal hunter and hunted wolves all over the USA.  I wonder if he ever got up to Alaska?  He died long before I was born.  I'll have to ask the Old Timer (my Dad) the next time we visit on the phone.  Grandpa used to raise and train wolf hounds.  He sold them all over the world and sent several all the way to Australia.  I wonder what they were using them to hunt down there??  I'll have to ask about that too..........

Offline 379 Peterbilt

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 01:57:04 PM »
Sourdough ,

That was a good wolf hunting read you posted. It pains me to see the stuff DoW get away with in the courts. One would think that sound biology could prevail, as opposed some the "feelings" of emotional charged people, predominately women and schoolgirls I suspect. What really kills me when debating these mental midgets is trying to explain how many many more moose calves would live to see their first birthday. They hate facts getting in the way of things though.

NONYA said it well, imo

SSS 

Offline PlacitasSlim

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 10:56:41 AM »
We have had some problems down here with the ones released into the Gila wilderness. They are not afraid of humans and come right into campsites. It is a violation of federal law to shoot them and the feds push it. A couple years back, a guy in Arizona shot one that was attacking his dogs and was promptly arrested (chewed one dogs leg off). He was only cleared after stating that it was because it was threatening his wife that charges were dropped. He still had large legal bills and spent time in jail. Since then I have heard the 3 S rule applies.
1. Shoot it
2. Shovel it to hide the radio collar
3. Shut up about it.

Offline NONYA

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 11:42:36 AM »
put that collar on a southbound bigrig. ;D
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm