Author Topic: help me choose a 44 Mag  (Read 1800 times)

Offline ken2222

• Trade Count: (23)
  • A Real Regular
help me choose a 44 Mag
« on: January 24, 2007, 02:58:06 PM »
I'm leaving my .357 to go to a 44 Mag. for several reasons one is range. I've shot 2..a 686 S&W 6" and a Taurus Raging bull.  I have found a good deal on a 6" SS Anaconda Magnaported in great shape...but it is a 6" for $675.  Went to my dealer today and he has a Ruger Super Redhawk 7.5" w/ simmons SS scope for the same money new. I understand the difference in quality but I'm really interested in a 100-150 yrd Hunting Hand gun. Dollar for dollar, which way would you go. And don't say buy the Colt just for resale, cuzz it'll probably never leave my side ;D but think the 6" too short to do what I want it to do. What'd you guys think? I'd like to do something in the next day or so... Thanks, Ken   

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: help me choose a 44 Mag
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 03:30:21 PM »
pass on both of them and find a 629
blue lives matter

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 03:37:45 PM »
Yup I'd agree with that. My 6" 629 is my iron sight gun and my 7.5" FA83 is my scoped gun. I'm still unsure what I'll do with the 5.5" Ruger Custom gun I won at the deer hunt at White Oak.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline ken2222

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 04:27:32 PM »
why the 629? I'm absolutely gonna scope it...Bill, you said the 629 was your open sight gun...I can't see my game at 100-150 yrds with open sights....will a 6" 629 do it at that range. is it drilled for a rail? Thanks guys..need all the info I can get. I'm trying to find that info on the net as I write.   Ken

Offline LEO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 01:41:46 AM »
I have a 629 and a Ruger Super Blackhawk hunter, I really like them both.  My 629 is one of the later models that has the upgraded durability features, it also came from the factory drilled and tapped for a scope base, all new K,L,N, and X frames are now.  The 629 currently has a 2x Burris scope mounted on it, the Ruger is open sighted.  I was going to put a dot sight on the Ruger but the one I bought will not work due to ring spacing so I am going to switch the scope to the Ruger and put the dot on the Smith, I just didn't want to do this in the middle of hunting season, I would rather spend my free time hunting rather than tinkering at the range, we have all summer for that.  Both guns are exceptionally accurate, at 50 yards the Smith will shoot into about 1.5 inches, actually I should say with me at the controls it will, a better shooter might do better, the Ruger will shoot into about 3 inches at 50 but there again once it is scoped I expect much better, because at 25 it is just a ragged hole.  I have had the Redhawk 44 also it shot well and was rugged, I traded it on something I wanted worse at the time.  I have also had regular Super Blackhawks and they generally shoot good but they are harder to scope than the hunter model which uses Ruger rings.  I would avoid the Colt if you are wanting a using gun.  I would go to the local gun shop and handle as many different models as I could and if you have buddies with 44 shoot as many as I could to see what worked for me.  Good luck

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 02:42:05 AM »
my experience... i had a ruger super blackhawk hunter that would do 2 inch groups at 100 yards, off the bench, scoped with a nikon 2x.   that was using nosler 240 jsp's at around 1250.    i now shoot a freedom arms 44, unscoped.   i can drill a beer can dead center at 50 yards everytime with it.  this gun is scary.  all that being said,  if i was going to get a pistol to shoot over 100 yards,  i would get either a contender scoped or an encore.    my worthless opinion is that once you put a scope on a handgun,  it becomes something else.  and if you are going to scope it,  that is the route i would go.    thompson center really shines for what you are talking about. 

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 05:42:22 AM »
I've hunted with S&W .44 mags both scoped and unscoped in the past. I've killed a couple of deer with one scoped out about 100 yards. When you start talking about 150 yards with the .44 magnum I have to ask are you POSITIVE you are up to the task? The gun is but are you? That's really pushing it in my opinion for MOST of us with one. I've personally never attempted a shot on game with it at that range. If I know I'll be hunting where the shots will be that long I take a more appropriate gun along.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline ken2222

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 09:14:08 AM »
Am I up to the task?....I have had great groups from a .357 mag Taurus at 100 yrds, scoped. I have not shot any distance beyond that simply because I felt the .357 didn't have enough left to do the job. My thoughts on going to the 44 Mag is that I've read that it is CAPABLE to 150yrds. I do my deer hunting in Michigan from about 75yrds and in so would always feel good about those distances as I have cleany killed two whitetails at 70 and 73 yrds with iron sights on my M66 .357 but will not attempt it again do to the "luck" factor...those were both shots I really shouldn't have taken but had my son backing me up to be humane. The purpose of moving up to the 44 is really to take care of my future needs. I will be testing my new Handis and will eventually be heading west, south or north for some bigger game. It would be nice to know I have a capable hand cannon at my side. That said, I am trying to thin the safe a bit and feel I only NEED one hunting hand gun. I don't really have a clear budget but thought the Colt to be such a good deal that the price sort of became the base. I am picky about accuracy so that , durability and cost are the keys...Can't find a 629 to shoot but it doesn't feel as good to me in my hand. I realize the benefits of different grips but have so few to compare. I guess I'll do more searching and see what other advise is offered here. I DON'T have to do this tomorrow so .....Thanks  Ken   ps  a single shot pistol will not satisfy my needs so that is not an option.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 09:25:46 AM »
glad to hear your shooting well with the 357.  keep in mind,  there is one heck of a difference between a 357 and a 44.  i shot a 357 for the first time in years last year,  and after being used to shooitn the 454, the 44, and various other big bore pistols,  i thought the 357 misfired.  i checked the gun,  fired again,  and thought it was a squib load again.  checked the gun,  same thing.  i was just amazed at the lack of recoil from the gun.  not saying you cant,  but i will agree that i would never take a shot at game over 100 yards myself.  jmho   

if you want the most accurate revovler out ther,  cruise for a used freedom arms.  the blackhawk hunter was good,  but not even close to the f.a. i have. 

Offline KN

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 10:18:43 AM »
I have both, and while the Super redhawk is nice I find the Anaconda to be much nore accurate, have a much better trigger and is much better ergonomically than the Ruger. For me there is no contest. I'd pick the Colt.   KN

Offline ken2222

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 10:22:43 AM »
I've heard enough about the F A ....I'm gonna go look at 'em. And yes ...the recoil is notable. I shoot my Kimber 45s indoors every week, I definately know when I'm on the end of the 44....I do believe I am capable of shooting the 44. Perhaps I will reconsider that 150 yrd shot. I thought it was too far but keep hearing folks "boast" of 135-200 yrd shots. HA !  I'm rethinking this whole program thanks to you guys. !! Thanks and please don't stop adding your thoughts.  Thanks  Ken

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 10:37:16 AM »
to be honest with you ken,  i hear alot of people say things too;  but i have seen damn few able to perform where the rubber meets the road.  i am a very good shot, but i just cant see me shooting over 100 yards with a revolver.   fyi,  i picked up my f.a. 44 on gunbroker for just over $9oo.  i have seen many out there for around that.   if i were going to get a 44, it would be either a smith  or a f.a.

Offline Broom Rider

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 12:01:56 PM »
I suggest a S&W 629 with the 6.5" barrel. The new ones that are drilled and tapped have a nice assortment of bases available for them. Accuracy is second only to an FA. I have a couple S&W 29's that will shoot about as good as my FA will, but they are a bit exceptional compared to the others I've had. All the new S&W's with the accuracy/endurance package will shoot quite well and when scoped, their performance will leave a smile on your face.
Lynnie, NRA Life Member

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 12:27:14 PM »
i have read testimony re: the Anaconda saying it was accurate and saying it was junk.   which is really true?     if i was buying a 6" double-action (or approx' that length) i'd consider the 629 Classic, or the Model 29 Classic.   a 6" barrel in a .44 mag' with the proper bullet is good for 150 yds' on a whitetail if the animal is properly hit.   But.....it is a stretch to think you won't be trailing that whitetail.    at that range you probably want a hardcast-lead bullet that will provide an exit wound to give you a good blood trail.    at 100 yards or less i'd agree with J. D. Jones and others who prefer JHP's from a .44 for hunting whitetails......because of bullet velocity. 

i'd consider scoping a Ruger Super BlackHawk Hunter with the factory-supplied rings (i believe).   but that's because i like single-actions with finger-grooved Hogue Mono-Grips for the help with accuracy.    you did not mention single-action revolvers as an option.   

the guys shooting silhouettes at the IHMSA meets would probably tell you, as a guess, that a Super RedHawk is as accurate as an Anaconda.    i used to read about those competitions, but haven't done so lately.    i only know that my RedHawk will probably shoot with anything out there, especially dollar for dollar; and that a 'Taylor-Throating' procedure on Many revolvers will improve accuracy considerably.    that means you don't need to buy a Freedom Arms at $900!

but, those are just my opinions.

take care,

ss' 

Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline ken2222

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 01:17:07 PM »
The reason I planned on a DA is that I've owned nothing but DAs...I do however shoot SA most of the time..even hand cocked in anticipation of the second round on the two white tails so REALLY don't need a DA just hate not to have it I guess. If I am going to limit my handgun shots to 100 yrds...why not 41 Mag? I handload anyway...You guys have been a great help. It really isn't THAT simple is it. Just looked at the F.A.s...WOW...$$$$

Offline Broom Rider

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2007, 01:33:40 PM »
This is a great handgun but it can't get me off my S&W addiction.

Yes I have a lot of 44's..............something like 20 or so 44 mags and a bunch of 44 Specials.
44 is one of my favorite calibers.
Lynnie, NRA Life Member

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 02:05:30 PM »
to be honest, i'd thought of the .41 mag'; but i shoot .44's     however, the .41 mag' certainly has a great reputation as a deer and black bear firearm.   

the Ruger website probably has a decently-arrayed .41 mag' in S/A, possibly a 'Hunter' model (?), that you can scope.    maybe that's actually a little bit of an advantage since the .41 mag' generally shoots flatter than the .44.

i looked at www.sixguns.com/range/index.html and compared Taffin's use of the .454 Super RedHawk and the Colt Anaconda in .44 mag'.    not the same; but not exactly apples and oranges.    the 4x scope on the 'Super' may have somewhat negated the comparison, but it did shoot a smallest group of 5/8" at 25 yds' while his open-sited .44 Anaconda at 25 yds' gave him 1 1/8" as his smallest group.   BUT, the 'Super's recoil may also be a factor here --- with it being a .454 Casull.

it'd be real hard for somebody to sell me an Anaconda over any Ruger i've ever shot.    i've only worked with one Anaconda, and it was a beautiful-looking piece; but that isn't what i buy a revolver for.   

take care,

ss'   
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline southern utah

• Contributor
    • http://www.jsi-guns-hunting-firearms.com
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2007, 04:32:34 PM »
Ken here ya go. Good price
http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/511103904/m/8181011591

WTS/T S&W 44mag 629 SS 8 3/8" w/Burris 2-7 power scope. This thing has been pretty much a safe queen since I got (around 1997-8 timeframe). I was meaning to hunt with it, but just cant seem to put down the rifle. I probably have fired 200 rounds thru it. It has the rubber grips. Would consider trades (am looking for Kimber 84M Rifle, nice binos or scopes) Email me for pics. $600.

Offline ken2222

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2007, 04:38:49 PM »
I have to register to look...is it worth looking? The more I read the better I like the .460.....now what??? ::)

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2007, 03:30:00 AM »
opinion only,  but i think you would be headed the wrong way with that route.  take it from a guy who made the same mistake.   i would look at either the 44's or the 41.    you get much bigger and it really gets to be too much too fast.   

broomrider,  i LOVE your style..

Offline Broom Rider

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2007, 12:34:34 PM »
Thanks, I posted pics of more of them in the Double Action section in a thread that requested pics of guns.
Lynnie, NRA Life Member

Offline southern utah

• Contributor
    • http://www.jsi-guns-hunting-firearms.com
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2007, 03:33:52 PM »
Ken. info added above

Offline ken2222

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2007, 04:23:24 PM »
 'SU....thanks for that info! I sent you a PM...

Offline ratgunner

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2007, 04:40:20 PM »
Yup I'd agree with that. My 6" 629 is my iron sight gun and my 7.5" FA83 is my scoped gun. I'm still unsure what I'll do with the 5.5" Ruger Custom gun I won at the deer hunt at White Oak.
G.B. could you post pics of that custom White Oak Ruger ?Did you test or review it yet ?Thanks.
"Non Gratum Anus Rodentum"

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2007, 03:27:41 AM »
RUGER, RUGER OR RUGER. Any of those three. ;D
shot placement is everything.

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2007, 03:30:47 AM »
Well, I always like to add a bit of controversy. I still like my Dan Wessons. Shot them for over 20 years in IHMSA silhouette, and the interchangable barrels were always nice.(10'' for the match's, 8'' for hunting) Read on a couple of posts here, they quit making the .44's thou, if they did, you would have to find a used one. It's to bad if CZ did decide to quit making revolvers, we've got plenty of company's making .45 auto's, but the strenght and accuracy of the revolver is what they were known for!!  Gypsyman  We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!! Remember-(12/7/41)-(9/11/01)
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2007, 03:50:46 PM »
If you were thinking about the .460, also take a look at the .454.  You can match up the RB, super redhawk, FA with the .454, so youve got some choices with that caliber, plus itll reach out and touch at 200 yards.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2007, 03:25:05 AM »
First I had problems with my Colt Python in 357mg.  6" barrel and the bar that turns the cylinder I found to be really weak and the cylinder timing was off on a brand new gun.  On the other hand I could ping small rocks on the berm at 100yds it had rifle accuracy.  The pythons from the 70's era were like this.

My first 44mag was a Ruger super blackhawk with a 7 1/2" barrel. It was a strong revolver.  Then i bought the first ruger redhawks in both 5 1/2" &  7 1/2" in stainless in 44mg. Both revolvers shoot awesome but i like the longer 7 1/2" barrel much better the extra weight upfront handles the 44mag loads better with less recoil.  I have pachmayer grips om most of my handguns and the presentation pachmayer grips on the redhawk fits my hand perfectly. I like the ruger revolvers(security six/redhawks) because there are no screws to come loose with shooting the magnum loads.  Right now i would go for a Ruger Super Redhawk with a 9 1/2" barrel in either 44mag or 480 ruger.  I think the 9 1/2" barrel would be even better handling with the hotter loads.  I been browsing for a used one lately too.  My local gun shop just dumps these revolvers cheap when he gets them because the auto's are more popular. A 454 casull in a ruger super redhawk with a 9 1/2" barrel is another great choice too.  I wonder how long its going to take ruger to manufacture a super sized super redhawk in 500s&w and i'm sure it will be a real looker too.

Offline olywa

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2007, 06:23:23 PM »
I don't wanna live in a world where I only have have one 44 Mag. I use a 4 5/8" SBH with 240gr hard casts over Unique for general woods carry. When it's time to hunt deer I grab my scoped 14" Contender with 210gr Gold Dots stoked hot. I may have to add a new 4" Redhawk soon...
Courtesy is as much a mark of a gentleman as courage.
   -Theodore Roosevelt

Offline ken2222

• A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2007, 03:13:38 AM »
Mornin' Folks! I had a S&W 629 8 3/8" SS w/ Burris 44 Mag fall in my lap THANKS to  " Southern Utah "! I should have my hands on it by the end of the week...turns out he lives just north of me! Thanks to all for the help! I will probablt look into a .45 Colt in the very near future too!  ;D   Ken