Author Topic: Scope Kiss, LOL...  (Read 1090 times)

Offline Danegeld

• Trade Count: (0)
Scope Kiss, LOL...
« on: January 27, 2007, 03:07:00 PM »
Several years ago, around 1990 a buddy and I went into the South Dakota BlackHills to shoot our rifles one summer afternoon.  He'd picked up some old army surplus 7.62 (.308) FMJ ammo which even had some tracer rounds in it.  We both had weapons which would digest this stuff so off we went.  I had my .308 Remington Model 7 with a Redfield WA 3x9 scope and he had an M-1 Garand which was chambered for the 7.62x51 stuff.  We both fired the Garand but I was a little concerned about using the ammo with my Remington, didn't want to shoot the rifling out of the barrel cause this stuff was HOT.  Well stupidity won out over sanity and before long I was chambering one of the old rounds into my little Model 7 and took rest over some sand bags.  I snuggled up close to the scope and was holding on extra tight as those surplus rounds packed a wallop.

Whoom, BAMMmmmm, Flash and it was over.  My buddy was looking at me and laughing his tail off.  I felt a warm sensation running down the side of my nose and realized what had happened.  Never again, never again...

I still have the Model 7 and it shoots .308 ammo with the best, tight little 1.5' groups at 100yds or so, but I will NEVER shoot that old surplus crap thru it again.  Has this or something like it ever happened to you?

Take Care
Ben

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
Re: Scope Kiss, LOL...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 01:37:39 AM »
I have a friend that is new to guns. He has decided he likes big bores.
He purchased a Marlin lever in 450 and put see thru (yuk!) scope rings on it.
The scope got me!
When I was getting into shooting I purchased a Marlin lever action in 44 mag. I put a 4X scope on it with regular mounts. That scope never got me but it nailed a couple of friends. I think they picked up the rifle and thought there would be little recoil as it was chambered for a pistol round.

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 08:50:29 AM »
Over twenty years ago I was still hunting on a snowy day.  I snuck up behind a deer in some short pine trees who was getting fidgety. I couldn't see all of the deer under the pine boughs.  I had a Mossberg 12 gauge slug gun and I was bent over severely under the pine boughs looking at that deer's butt about 60 yards ahead of me.  I felt the deer was getting ready to take off, so I put the shotgun up in that goofy contorted position I was in - bent over at the waist, leaning forward, and struggling to peer through the scope and get a shot. Didn't even have the butt against my shoulder - too intent on that deer.  I spined it right under the tail and it dropped like lightining hit.  But, I felt like Mike Tyson caught me under my eye and to the side of my nose.  I picked up some snow to clean off some off the blood  - looked like I was in a bar fight. 
Not the first time I 've been smacked under the eye and bled, well, first time with a riflescope though.  Soon forgot about it.
About six months later, I got a bad toothache alongside my nose.  I went to the dentist who x-rayed my teeth.  He came back kind of smiling and asked me who I got in a fight with.  I told him, I hadn't been in any fights and asked him what he was talking about.  He showed me that one of my from teeth had been fractured across the top, about 1/4" from the tip of the root, and the nerve had died.  It couldn't be fixed - had to be pulled, and then dug out that piece of root.  The fractured root lined up perfectly with where that scope smacked me. 
The 3-tooth bridge was an expensive lesson.  The deer sure was good eatin' though.
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 09:06:23 AM »
You ain't shot much if you haven't been kissed at least once by a rifle scope.  ;D   The scope on my .280 Handi left an impression on me one time (literally) when I was scrunched down behind the seat of an atv that I was using as a make shift rifle rest.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 09:37:08 AM »
Have been smacked many times but never cut yet.  I wear recrational style prescription glasses, they take the brunt of the hit. 

Last fall while at the range my neighbor showed up with a new barrel for his encore, 416 Rigby, and a box of factory loads.  One of the first things people notice about Mike is that he has a scar over his right eye, and you know right away it is from a scope.  I was standing beside him and watched the scope hit him.  Saw the blood dripping down his nose.  I cleaned it off and took a look, saw he needed stitches.  Took him to the Army Hospital, just a few miles away, where they sowed him up, right over his old scar.  Some people never learn.  It's more noticiable now than it was before.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 05:16:24 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only member of the crescent moon club here.
I call it invading the scopes air space ;D

Pat
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline S.S.

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 07:36:38 AM »
EYEBROW HIDES MOST OF MINE.... You shoot a scoped .45-70 long enough, eventually you will get  "christened" by it.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Awf Hand

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 07:54:54 AM »
I was sitting behind a friends match rifle when the light trigger and recoil surprised me.  The scope was a Unertl 15x and they don't offer much protection from scope face.  It looked like I lost a fight to a cookie cutter. :'(
Just my Awf Hand comments...

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 11:05:22 AM »
My step dad did it when I was little.
A nurse yelled out "another scope shock" as soon as he walked into the ER.

Offline sqeeter91

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 10:03:31 AM »
AHHHHH, Just like everyone else, I remember my first, warm wet kiss! It was from a cute little Rem 788 in 243. She was a plain Jane, but felt good in my hands. I learned REAL fast how to handle her,and we had a great relationship for a long, long time.
                                                                                                                       Marc
Whether the target is paper, a can, or whatever. The objective is the same- Put it where the hairs cross.

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 04:16:03 PM »
That's why I use one of these:

http://www.quakeinc.com/optic7.html
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 03:21:02 PM »
I've been smacked a couple of times, but never any blood drawn.  I am now VERY aware of my relationship to the eyepiece when I shoot any gun.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 06:24:10 PM »

No..not really, but I had a friend in the Army that got an " M1 thumb"...LOL
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 09:07:30 AM »
That is pretty darn painful too.....

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 10:12:08 AM »
I got it on the bridge of my nose. I was in a tree stand and the angle I had to shot at, put the gun in an unnatural position and I got bit on the bridge of my nose. It was a 12 gauge sluggun. Blood run down my nose and eyes watered.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Paflyfisher

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 05:08:23 PM »
Browning BLR in a .358. The scope didn't get me, but that D%$N red button on my scope cover laid my nose open.

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2007, 05:48:58 AM »
That pobably hurt worse than getting smacked by the scope itself.......