Author Topic: Changes in Ohio's hunting laws  (Read 2926 times)

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
Changes in Ohio's hunting laws
« on: January 28, 2007, 03:42:21 PM »
What would you like to see? Be reasonable.
For Deer....
I would like a longer Blackpowder season earlier in the year, before the Holidays.
I would like to see Black Powder cartridges become legal in lever actions and single shots.
I would love to see an end to the road hunting that has become the norm here in the NW corner

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
Re: Changes in Ohio's hunting laws
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 05:47:30 PM »
The only thing that I want to see changed is to be allowed to use rifles chambered for straightwalled cartridges for deer hunting.  I feel it fills the niche between pistols and muzzleloaders. 

Amos
"You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight"

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 06:17:41 PM »
A longer ML season before Thanksgiving sounds good to me too. 
there should be some CF calibers that would be a good compromise too since we already use ML and pistols.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline stimpylu32

• Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 03:15:59 AM »
HT

I too would love to see the BP in cases legal , it is no diffrent than the inline MLs and a whole lot safer than the 3 shot pump guns with slugs that the boys around here throw everywere come deer season .  ???

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline a45gunslinger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.zippyvideos.com/8333718701028686/000_0452/
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 02:01:02 PM »
I for one, can't honestly think of anything that I'd like changed....at the moment. I live in michigan but hunt down with you folks. I'm very impressed with the way Ohio manages it's wild life. - Kevin

Offline BrianM

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 02:40:41 PM »
I would like to see more game wardens employed ! Then maybe we can get rid of some of the poachers ! Also would like to be able to use rifles chambered for straight walled pistol cartridges to hunt deer .

Offline Doesniper

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 02:39:39 AM »
Why don't you all tell your DNR what you really want, and not what you think they might be willing to give you. If you ask for nothing but straight wall cases in rifles, thats all you'll ever get. If you want to be able to hunt deer with center fire rifles ask for that. Safety isn't an issue of what kind of gun you use. It is an issue of what kind of hunter you are. If you keep thinking of some guns are bad for hunting deer, and some are ok, you will be falling into the mind set of the anti-hunting/anti-gun crowd. It is about people, not their equipment.

Offline BIG Dog454

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 05:10:22 AM »
I would like to see them open urban areas to the early special ML season, that is now only Salt fork, wildcat hollow etc.

Offline m-g Willy

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 10:38:19 AM »
I would like to see rifles( at least the ones chambered for whats legal for pistol for deer) be allowed for deer.
And allow flintlock muzzle loaders during primative(.bow  compound bow  cross bow .) deer season .
With the new inline muzzle loaders it's more like shooting a high power single shot!
Who, where and how can we get some changes in the laws made?

Willy

Offline stimpylu32

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 12:17:20 PM »
Willy

Here is a link ot some info on that subject .

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,108591.0.html

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline buckeye hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 06:08:58 PM »
I would like to see out of staters pay more and residents pay 1/2 as much.   The state of WV DNR allows residents to buy sportsman's packages for a reasonalbe price. why can't we have the same?   

Offline a45gunslinger

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.zippyvideos.com/8333718701028686/000_0452/
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 11:19:38 AM »
why take it out on us??? I think I paid $170.00 + last year for my tags & license.

Offline stimpylu32

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 12:16:19 PM »
I have to go with gunslinger on this one , any out of state hunter will pay their fair share to have privlage to hunt in ohio . i have hunted in other states and feel that the laws in ohio are more than fair in regards to non-res. hunters .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline buckeye hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2007, 05:45:26 AM »
My point was that they may be fair to nonresidents, but they are certainly unfairly unreasonably too high for residents.  If the ODNR wants to raise more money take it out of the pockets of nonresidents, not residents.   Isn't that logical?   Our resident hunting licenses are over the top compared to what surrounding states make their residents pay to hunt.   The simple law of economics says that you should let the market set the price for your product.   I wonder why there are fewer bonus tags being sold to residents?  My guess is that the ODNR has either forced residents to quit hunting early or "sneak" game home without being tagged.    I state my point again if the ODNR can't live within their means, rob out of state hunters and leave us over taxed buckeyes alone!  By the way I have already expressed these sentiments to ODNR officials in Columbus.  Their response?  A very smug unelected representative e-mailed me and basiclally said live with it or hunt elsewhere and that's exactly what I have done.  When will the rest of buckeye outdoorsmen belly up to the bar and take a stand like we did when they puprosed to make us buy season passes to use our state parks?   

Offline Hairtrigger

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2007, 09:23:27 AM »
I feel the $20 for a resident is more than fair

Offline buckeye hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 04:53:31 PM »
I agree $20 dollars would be a great price!   Where in Ohio can you hunt whitetails for $20?   It is $19 for the basic license and $24 for the tag.   That makes it $43 total for a resident to hunt one deer.   WV residents pay $33 sportsman's package to hunt (small game, one deer with a bow, one with a rifle, two turkeys in the spring or fall) fish and trap.   Can someone tell me how much it would cost an Ohio resident to purchae tags to kill 2 deer, 2 turkeys, fishing license and furbearing permit?   Folks we are getting ripped off!   

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2007, 05:46:25 PM »

Have you looked at the prices for Ky? They are no where near what WV has,
Lets see, 22.50 for the combo tag in Ky. or 15 for just hunting,
25 for a deer tag,
15.50 bonus anterless deer tag, (per deer)
20 for spring turkey,
15 for fall turkey archery,
15 for fall turkey firearm (Yes you have to buy one for each method!)
Then there is the trout stamp if you want to fish for them,
migratory bird tags of different flavors,
10 to just get your name in the elk tag drawing, plus what ever the elk tag is this year.

Out of state lic for the year is 115, plus 50 for the deer tag. The 5 day lic is not valid for use with a deer tag it says.

So we are not in that bad of shape compared to some. Not as good as others, if we want it to change we will have to take it to the DNR and let them know about it.

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline Hairtrigger

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2007, 12:06:43 AM »
I agree $20 dollars would be a great price!   Where in Ohio can you hunt whitetails for $20?   

Land owners permits are free!

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2007, 05:48:11 AM »
Amen Hairtrigger...you only need a marker, piece of cardboard, and a strip of duct tape if you own land.
"You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight"

Offline Turk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2007, 11:44:51 AM »
Ok guys compare the cost of going to a professional sports game, cartn. of cigs., 12 pack of beer, eating out etc. etc. etc. to the cost of a licenses and the length of time to can enjoy use of them.  There is no free lunch.  I'm 60 years old and can't believe the deer, turkey, geese etc. etc.  As a youngest growing up in the country it was a big deal seeing deer tracks if you were lucky.  When I started waterfowl hunting in the mid 60's it was a again a big deal to a goose today I can usally if I want shoot my limit.  Turkey which I NEVER thought I'd see in my county are quit numerous today a guy asked to hunt his farm you know those darn turkey he has around 80 of them running around his farm.  My last disucssion of this subject was with a guy the smoked 2 packs of camels a day I wounder what that costs a year?  I'm personally thankful for our states Div. of Wildlife and the job they do.  Take a fishing lisence and compare the cost to how many times you can use it in a year. 

Concerning out of state hunters I think the fee's should be comparable with states around us.  I go to Kentucky and Penn. to hunt and would wouldn't be happy paying a big bucks to hunt there.

Turk
In God I trust all others bring data.
If you know you're going to a gunfight take a rifle.
Life Member 1/50th Infantry Association (Vietnam)
Member of the 173rd Airborne Association
Life member NRA & ORPA

Offline Hairtrigger

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2007, 01:31:51 PM »
It makes no sense to me.
You take a week off work, pack gear, sight in rifle, tent and food, gas to drive out of state, maybe hotel instead of tent. Not to mention the money tied up in a rifle and scope.
Then complain about the cost of a game tag.  I look at it as a hobbie... cheeper than golf or flying or old cars or ....... 
My guns are worth as much or more than when I bought them.
Simple solution, take the family to a water park instead... spend the money on the whole family instead of just yourself.
Just tired of hearing about it when it is a CHOICE

Offline BrianM

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2007, 02:00:28 PM »
I think there should be a seperate season for crossbow  and archery seasons . The use of a crossbow is not bow hunting .

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2007, 03:52:31 PM »
     I used a compound bow for years but now I got arthur in my shoulder and use a crossbow. The hunt is the same. I think the DNR has done a good job with the game but I don't trust them. They send are money to Canada to buy land,if they want to buy land they should buy more right here in Ohio. We got to be carefull there not going to give you more but there taking away, three shots when the gun is made to hold five or seven. It's just a matter of gun control most deaths arn't from the fifth to seventh shots but the first. We don't need more game wardens we need better ones!
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline RangerRiz

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2007, 02:39:20 PM »
    I would like to see them allow us to hunt with rifles.  They could restrict the counties if they are worried about stray bullets.  They could make tree stand restrictions for hunting with a rifle in different counties like they do in Virgina or N. Carolina i believe. As for restricting x-bows because that is not bow hunting that is garbage. I have not bowhunted before and if i do it will be with a bow; however, if you want to get pickey it is not bowhunting if you ues a release, arrowrest, fiberoptic sight, compoundbow,.......... it is not premative unless it is wood and stone.  When bow hunter start talking like that i have to wander if it is ignorance of x-bows or greed of not wanting more hunters in the woods.  Even with all the x-bow hunters in the woods in Ohio the Agriculture department wants the DNR to reduce the deer heard buy another 300,000 to 400,000. So i dont think they are hurting anything.
God did not create all men equal, Colt did!
ROLL TIDE!
Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions

Offline encore4me

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2007, 12:38:54 PM »
I would love to be able to hunt with my 45-70 (straight wall cartridges).
I would like to have a early muzzleloader season for the whole state sometime during the rut.
I would like to be able to purchase a lifetime hunting/fishing license.
I wish the state of Ohio would release wild hogs so we could have good hunting year round. ;D
Just a few of the things I would like to see, especially the wild hogs.

Matt

Offline stimpylu32

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2007, 07:52:41 AM »
Matt

I would love to be able to use my 45/70 here , as for the hogs i don't see that ever happening , every state that has hogs has run in to the same problem , they get out of hand and start to do more and more damage .

Having no natural predators the hog will take over an area then just expand to do more damage . we are just starting to get some here in the NW part of the state but they are on private land and the owners will not let them be hunted . ( bad move )

Having grown up on a hog farm i have seen first hand the damage that just a few can do .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2007, 06:14:11 AM »
I would definitely agree with Stimpy on the hogs- other states are polluted with them and they breed so many that they can overrun an area in a short time.  We have reports of some in SE Ohio now, I think Zaleski State Forest has a huntable number now.  I may try to go down there next month and see for myself!

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline mountainman_66

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2007, 04:51:35 PM »
Div. of Wildlife restricts CF rifles in ohio for one reason alone......they dont want every buck that gets SPOTTED on opening day to get SHOT on opening day, as happens in PA.
I know, you can make the argument that modern ML rifles and scoped rifle bore shotguns that spit out polymer tipped spitzer bullets (Hornady SST comes to mind....) are nearly the equal to most modern CF rifles, but thats just how Ohio wants it.
In  PA, prior to the changes made by the controversial Dr. Alt, 80% of ALL bucks  in the state (spikes, forkies, 4-points , B&C class bucks....EVERYTHING!) was dead and in a freezer by the end of rifle season.  Many contend such a high rate of "success" is partly due to the reach of centerfire rifles. Im not so sure that we want that here.  My opinion on the matter is just that, an opinion.
That said, how much control the Division has  to be tempered by the  fact that Sportsman have taken on the full burden of Wildlife management in ohio and should have a clear and strong  voice in Columbus. We pay for it, we should get a say.

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2007, 02:29:22 PM »
Well it used to be an orange hat now it's a vest. It used to be load your gun up all the way now your duck hunting deer.I doubt if to many hunters ever got hit by the fourth or fifth shot, usually the first shot. What's all the orange for so another hunter can see you, no so the game warden can see you. IMO the DNR don't listen to the hunters at all and are too politically correct! Did the hunters ask for these laws, none that I know of.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline mountainman_66

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2007, 01:39:12 PM »
Im glad to see the we are allowed to carry CCW now..........
the division's officers fought that one big-time.