Author Topic: What is your slug gun set up?  (Read 12044 times)

Offline NYH1

• Trade Count: (0)
What is your slug gun set up?
« on: January 29, 2007, 06:56:18 AM »
I'm putting together a Remington 11-87 Premier 20 ga. I ordered a 21 inch full rifled barrel with the cantilever scope mount, it should be here next week! The barrel has the matte finish so I'm going to get it blued once I know it shoots good. Going to put a Leupold 2-7x33mm VX-I Shotgun Scope on it.

My father is trying to put together Benelli Nova 20 ga. It has the 26 inch field barrel. He's trying to get a 24 inch fully rifled barrel with the cantilever scope mount. From everything my dad and I can see Benelli doesn't make a cantilever barrel for their 20 ga. The guy at Gander Mountain says he can get him one so he's holding out for a few more weeks. If he can't get the cantilever barrel (and we don't think he can)  he's going to get either a Browning pump or Remingtom 11-87 Sportsman in 20 ga. If he go's with the 11-87 he'll get the same slug barrel as me. He's also going to use the same Leupold scope.

We're going to try Winchester Partition Gold slugs, both 2 3/4 and 3 inch, Remington Ultra Bonded Core-Lokt 2 3/4 inch slugs and Federal Barnes Expander Tipped slugs
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: What is your slug gun set up?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 09:52:34 AM »
I have a Beretta A391 Xtrema 2 with a cantilever mount and rifled barrel. I have a Leupold VXI 2X7X33mm Shotgun scope and I am shooting Lightfield 12 gauge slugs. Great accuracy and shoots like a dream.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 11:18:08 AM »
I only hunt in shotgun-only areas a few times per year, but I like my setup. It's a plain jain Remington 870 with Hastings canitlever fully rifeld barrel. I have a 1.5-4 x Bushnelll scope on it, and I shoot Winchester Partition Gold sabots, although I may try the Hornady polymer tips. The setup is accurate, and anything that I've hit has either bowled right over, or gone just a few yards.  Slug guns and ammo has come a long way in the past few years, and I don't think that we a re handicapped anymore like th eold bird gun and pumpkin ball days.

Offline NautiBuoys

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 12:09:49 PM »
Ithaca 37 12 guage with 20" cantilevered rifled barrel, and an identical 20" cantilevered smoothbore barrel, both topped with Leupold 1-4x matte VX-II scopes. Although the rifled barrel is more accurate, the s/b holds its on and drops 'em like a stone. Plus a lot cheaper to shoot, but the real reason is I hunt public land and if I hit 'em, they drop.

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 12:55:32 PM »
I use a Browning Gold with an Ithaca aftermarket barrel. I am pleased with the accuracy of this combo

Offline wink_man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 01:17:58 PM »
Coming from a state that doesn't allow centerfire rifles for deer(New Jersey), me and the kids have several slug guns, almost as many as rifles, but not quite. We go to your state(New York), so we can use rifles. But in all fairness to a slug gun, there are places I hunt in New York that, while rifles are permitted, I prefer a slug gun due to the dense cover. I've hunted the Balsam swamps above Roundout Reservoir where the cover is so dense a smoothbore slug gun with Weaver pivot mounts is the gun of my choice. Despite what was said in a previous post here, while i've never shot pumpkin balls, I've used foster slugs since the 60's, and any scoped smoothbore slugun we have is capable of sub 4 inch groups at 100 yards, so I personally see no advantage for me in a rifled barrel and the newer slugs unless I were to find somewhere where shots beyond 100 yards were the norm, and thats just not currently the case for me. But we have rifled barrelled slug guns just in case we do. List of slug guns we have is as follows:

Remington 1100 20 gauge, 21 inch smoothbore slug barrel, Bushnell Banner 1.5X4.5 variable in a Weaver Converta Mount.

Ithaca 37 12 gauge, 19 inch(I think) smoothbore slug barrel, Bushnell Banner 1.5X4.5 variable in a Weaver Converta mount.
2nd barrel, Hastings 24 inch cantilever fully rifled barrel with a Redfield Widefield 1.75X5 variable

Remington 870 12 gauge, 20 inch smoothbore slug barrel, Bushnell Banner 1.5X4.5 mounted in Weaver Pivot Mounts for a Remington 760 rifle(I drilled and tapped this receiver for this mount).

Remington 870 12 gauge, 24 inch Mossberg cantilever fully rifled barrel, Weaver V4.5 scope, 1.5X4.5 variable.

Winchester 1300 12 Gauge, 22 inch fully rifled barrel, Redfield Widefield 2X7 Variable mounted on receiver, not cantilever.

Winchester 1300 12 gauge, 22 inch smoothbore slug barrel, Bushnell Banner 1.5X4.5 variable mounted on receiver, not cantilever.
2nd barrel, 22 inch fully rifled barrel, Redfield Low Pro Widefield 2X7 variable scope.  
Garry
'Life is to short to hang with an ugly woman, or hunt with an ugly gun' - Garry
'It's not that our liberal friends are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't' Ronald Reagan
Just ask an American Indian what happens when you let immigration get out of hand.

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 01:22:39 PM »
   Old Rem. 1100- old Hastings barrel- old original BRI slugs, new 4x32E pistol scope mounts on the barrel. Little recoil and have shot some one hole groups at a 100yrds.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline deerslayer79

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 02:00:07 PM »
12ga ultra slug hunter ,lightfield hybred exps,bushnell trophy 3x9,I use it to make 5 shot cloverleafs @ 125yds,and shoot deer.
beer,check ammo,check gun,DAMMIT,I knew I forgot somethin!!

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 04:47:32 PM »
20g ultra slug hunter Leupold varix2 2x7 Lightfield slugs from 25 ft up
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline Sabothunter

• Minnesota Hunter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 06:08:28 AM »
I like simple stuff, you can called me old fashion or what ever ::). I have a browning 12ga. A-5 with their 24" buck barrel (smooth bore) with rifle sight. I'm shooting brenneke short mag, getting clover leafs at 50 yards and 2-3" groups at 100 yards. This gun has never missed a deer under 100 yards and I don't shoot any deer over 100 yards anyway.
Practice make perfect!!!

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 06:21:20 AM »
Any one shoot any 150-200 yard targets with the mentioned slug guns?

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 11:59:26 AM »
12 guage remington 11-87, fully rifled barrel with cantilever scope mount, grey laminated stock and topped with a nikon prostaff 3-9 X 40
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 08:12:51 AM »
I have a 12ga 870 with a catilevered hastings barrel topped with a 4X32 simmons scope, and a 870 wingmaster 24"smoothbore with rifle sights, but my favorite is a topper deluxe slug 12 ga. It is in my opinion one the best slug gun I've ever used for shots under 100 yards. It has a factory porting job that tames the recoil and it weighs about 6 lbs.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Will_C

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007, 09:01:41 AM »
I have a Remington 11-87SP with a cantilever barrel, topped with a Leupold VariX-II 1-4x scope. I killed 15-20 deer with that set-up between 1994-2003, but it has been retired. I switched to a Encore muzzleloader in 2004, and in 2005 we were allowed to use rifles in this part of NY. I have not picked the slug gun since.
Will

Offline DRM

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2007, 03:31:02 PM »
I don't hunt often with my slug set up. Just set it up to take advantage of some slug gun only pig hunts which it has worked very well.  I have a Benelli Nova; got an Ithaca Cantilever barrel 1:28 twist, use a Bushnell Banner scope 1.75-4 x 32, it has 6" of eye relief and is made for a cantilever.  I am usually a Leupold guy but I have been very happy with the added eye relief while mounting the scope on the cantilever.  I have tried several slugs, (see thread) http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,107805.msg1098313766.html#msg1098313766 and for now have settled on the Winchester Platinum Tips.

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2007, 01:45:32 AM »
Any one shoot any 150-200 yard targets with the mentioned slug guns?

Cheese

The way deer are pushed in my area I would just be wasting lead shooting at a running deer at that range

Offline NYH1

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2007, 11:36:23 AM »
Well it looks like my father and I have a change of plans. The nit wit my father has been dealing with the last month and a half at Gander Mountain was wrong. As we thought Benelli doesn't make a barrel for the Nova 20 ga. with the cantilever scope mount. He's going to get his money back. I'm going to give him my 11-87 Premier 20 ga. (he just bought the rifled barrel w/ cantilever scope mount for it anyway's) and he's going to buy me a 11-87 Sportsman 12 ga. with either a 28" field barrel or 21" rifled with the cantilever scope mount. I'll get whichever barrel doesn't come with it later on. Being that I'm going with a 12 ga. instead of the 20 ga. I'll use my Leupold VX-II 2-7x33mm Shotgun Scope instead of getting a new VX-I Shotgun Scope.
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline Boxhead

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2007, 08:14:38 PM »
Mine is a rather unique Ugartechea SXS 12 gauge factory slug gun that was regulated to shoot the Rottweil Brenneke M.P. slugs dead on top of the front sight at 50 meters. It does this very well keeping mutiple pairs inside 2 1/2" or so. It has 25" barrels, measures 42 1/4" overall, weighs just under 7 pounds and swings just like my upland SXS shotguns. I have taken deer and hog with it, Here's a few photos.

Offline Sabothunter

• Minnesota Hunter
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2007, 06:35:57 AM »
Boxhead-

That's a nice double shotgun you got there. To shoot slugs accurately makes it even nicer.
Practice make perfect!!!

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2007, 10:04:41 AM »
Boxhead

Very ineresting gun.

Is that rifled or smooth bore?

How old is it?

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2007, 11:01:25 AM »
Mine is a rather unique Ugartechea SXS 12 gauge factory slug gun that was regulated to shoot the Rottweil Brenneke M.P. slugs dead on top of the front sight at 50 meters. It does this very well keeping mutiple pairs inside 2 1/2" or so. It has 25" barrels, measures 42 1/4" overall, weighs just under 7 pounds and swings just like my upland SXS shotguns. I have taken deer and hog with it, Here's a few photos.

Very nice. I like that a lot.  ;D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2007, 01:59:09 PM »
Sweetest looking slug gun I've ever laid eyes on......I bet it lays the hammer down on whatever you're shooting at.  I don't have any slug guns, don't need any for where I hunt, but I'd like to have that one just because it is AWESOME.   8)

Offline Lawful Larry

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2007, 05:29:05 AM »
In my state of Virginia, we have different rules by county.  I hunt in both rifle and shotgun only counties.  For the shotgun I use a Remington 870 Express Magnum with a short fully rifled barrel with open iron sights.  I put a 2.5x Tasco shotgun scope.  I bought it last year and have taken two deer with it so far.  She is very accurate with Rem. Copper Solid sabot slugs.  I can get three shoots touching at 50 yds. and three shots inside 2.5" at 100 yds. 

Here in the dense woods and swamps of Virginia, this shotgun serves me well.  Here she is:

Just another voice in the crowd!!!

Offline NYH1

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2007, 07:09:55 AM »
HERE is the shotgun I have on layaway. It's the 12 ga. I'll top it off with my Leupold VX-II 2-7x33mm Shotgun Scope.

Offline wink_man

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2007, 07:31:47 AM »
HERE is the shotgun I have on layaway. It's the 12 ga. I'll top it off with my Leupold VX-II 2-7x33mm Shotgun Scope.

Very nice New York Hunter, should be an excellent combination with that Leupold scope. Best of luck with your new weapon. Just curious, did you get any specs on rate of twist in the barrel? I know Remington used to use a 1 in 35 twist, but I have heard they went to a 1 in 28 twist for the newer faster sabot slugs, yet can't fine any info to confirm that, even on Remingtons website. Just curious. 
Garry
'Life is to short to hang with an ugly woman, or hunt with an ugly gun' - Garry
'It's not that our liberal friends are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't' Ronald Reagan
Just ask an American Indian what happens when you let immigration get out of hand.

Offline Lawful Larry

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2007, 07:57:27 AM »
I know Remington used to use a 1 in 35 twist, but I have heard they went to a 1 in 28 twist for the newer faster sabot slugs, yet can't fine any info to confirm that, even on Remingtons website. Just curious. 

I was told that I have the 1 in 28 twist in my 870 Express Magnum.  Don't know if that gives it any more accuracy, but mine is a tack drive with Rem. Copper Solids in 3".
Just another voice in the crowd!!!

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2007, 02:48:22 PM »

I just bought the same gun last year only with a laminated thumbhole stock. It has been very reliable and very accurate, I wish you the same luck. The only wierd thing about it is it wouldn't group sabot slugs very well but will cloverleaf bernekke slugs at 50 yaards, almost one hole.

I guess finding what she likes to shoot is the fun part right?
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline NYH1

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2007, 06:07:39 PM »
Thanks guys! As far as the twist rate I've heard both 1 and 28, and 1 in 35. I'll call Remington to find out.

Offline NYH1

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2007, 07:02:50 AM »
According to the help section on Remington's web site their 12 gauges have a 1 in 35 twist and their 20 gauges have a 1 in 24 twist.

I'm going to try Winchester's Partition Gold, Remington's Ultra Core-Lokt, Hornady's SST and Federal's Barnes Expander Tipped Sabot Slugs. Hopefully one of these slugs with group well.  ;D

Offline 1187VX2

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2007, 07:28:42 AM »
I have what you're buying (except mine is the special purpose and the scope is a 3-9), but I'd say you're really going to like it.  The only potential issue is the trigger.  I did send mine to Timney to be worked over - and they did a wonderful job with it.

Mine really likes the 400 gr Win. platinum tips and the 3/4 oz. Barnes expanders.  It wasn't crazy about the Win. partition golds and really didn't like anything from Hornady.