Author Topic: What is your slug gun set up?  (Read 12045 times)

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
Re: What is your slug gun set up?
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2007, 10:11:29 AM »
There are trigger springs available for the 870's and the Remington rifles that give a lighter pull.  They cost about $10 on ebay, when they are on there.  They are called a Patriot spring kit, put out by a company in Ohio.  They don't do much about the creep, though.  I put one in my 7400 and it helped a lot.  I also drilled and tapped the trigger guard and put a screw in it to reduce the overtravel, kind of like an Encore has.  Made a pretty decent pull, about 3lbs or a little less.

Offline NYH1

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2007, 06:13:08 AM »
I have what you're buying (except mine is the special purpose and the scope is a 3-9), but I'd say you're really going to like it.  The only potential issue is the trigger.  I did send mine to Timney to be worked over - and they did a wonderful job with it.

Mine really likes the 400 gr Win. platinum tips and the 3/4 oz. Barnes expanders.  It wasn't crazy about the Win. partition golds and really didn't like anything from Hornady.
1187VX2, thanks. I called Timney a while back to see if they made triggers for the 11-87's and they told me no. I wish they would have told me they could "work it over". I guess I'll have to call them again!  ;)
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2007, 08:43:39 AM »
  I also drilled and tapped the trigger guard and put a screw in it to reduce the overtravel, kind of like an Encore has. 

I like that idea.

I did send mine to Timney to be worked over - and they did a wonderful job with it.

Also good to know. 1187vx2 Did you just send the trigger group or the whole rifle?
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2007, 09:45:16 AM »
The screw works just like I hoped it would. Overtravel is my biggest issue with a trigger.  I can deal with creep, a heavy trigger, or a rough trigger, but too much overtravel makes my groups look like a shotgun pattern.  I would say that just getting rid of the overtravel on my 7400 reduced my groups by 30% on average.  Getting that trigger spring helped a lot too.  My groups probably shrunk almost in half by doing the screw/spring.  I don't think it was the gun itself with any problems, it was my ability to shoot it better with the alterations.

I just drilled and tapped the guard and got an 8x32 allen head screw from Lowe's.  I think two of them in a pack cost a buck or so.  I think it was an inch long??  Then I put the screw in and kept turning it in until the sear wouldn't drop, then backed it out just enough to let everything work like it should.  I marked the screw, pulled it out, and cut it to length with a Dremel tool. 

If you decide to do it, make sure you use enough oil on the tap, as the guard is aluminum, and you don't want to mess it up.  I oiled the screw when I first put it in too, to unsure that I didn't strip it out.  I also put drop of green loctite on it, just to keep it from backing out due to the vibrations of the gun.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2007, 12:44:09 PM »
I just read everyone's posts and I can hardly believe I'm the only guy with a savage 210F.  I live in Indiana (shotguns only state) and there is an oportunity for a 125 -150 yard shot.  I haven't taken anything with it yet, but it's the most accurate slug gun I've ever fired.  I've got the same leupold 2-7 that a lot of guys on here have got.  My first trip to the range with this gun left me with bullet holes touching at 100 yards and I was instantly a savage guy from that point.  I went that route because it's what I call my Indiana rifle.

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2007, 02:10:51 PM »
If I had to use a slug gun, it would probably be the Savage 210 or a single shot like the H&R or the Encore.

For those interested in lighter trigger springs for the Remington 870, 1100, 11-87 shotguns, 7400, and 7600 rifles, here is the info:

Patriot Deluxe Trigger Tune-Up Kit
Barnes Custom Gunsmithing
3050 U.S. RT. 50
Albany, OH 45710
740-707-1300
DON@BCGUNSMITHING.COM

The one I put in my 7400 rifle pulls just at 3lbs, using a Shimano fishing scale (real scientific, ain't it?).

Offline NYH1

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2007, 02:44:40 PM »
kyelkhunter3006, thank!  ;D
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline 1187VX2

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2007, 07:30:01 AM »
I don't know that Timney makes a trigger for the 11-87 - I sent mine (trigger only) to:

Allen Timney Gunsmith
13524 Edgefield St.
Cerritos, CA 90703
Tel: 562-865-0181
Fax: 909-877-4713

Probably somehow related to the Timney's that sell triggers, but not sure how.  He has a website out there somewhere listing what all he does & pricing, I just haven't tried to find it again.

Offline Shawnee Gene

• Avid Poster
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2007, 10:07:30 AM »
I have a Mossberg 695 with a Williams peep mounted and a Swift 1.5x4.5 shotgun scope for the long shots.  Ammo is Hornady SST for deer and Remington Buckhammers for hogs and bear.  I also had a trigger job done.
"Wheel guns are Real guns!"

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2007, 10:12:58 AM »
savage bolt gun , 12 ga. 24 in. rifle bbl. leupold vx-2 2-7 and lightfield 3in. impact disgarding sabot slugs ( red box )
hard gun to load but worth the effort !
have owned and used browning gold rifled , winchester 1400 non rifle , browning a-5 non rifled , several 870's with tubes flush and extended , one 870 with a hastings bbl.and one with a factory rifled bbl.
WE hunt in  some counties where we can only use shotguns , we have some where only buckshot was legal ( we have a set up for that also ) , anyway the savage is far ahead of the rest and the others worked ok . The savage is just that much more accurate , if anyone gets one check out the tarhunt site on how to shoot a slug gun it helped me alot !
Yes i wish i could afford a tarhunt bolt gun !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2007, 10:56:36 AM »
Hey SHOOTALL,
         I have the exact setup, but I just put mine up for sale.  I have shot several 870's and none of them came close to my 210F.  Only reason I'm getting rid of mine is because my state just started allowing some handgun cartridges to be used in rifles, so I'll be jumping ship as soon as my phone rings.  I doubt it'll go soon, but it might.  It's a heck of a set up and those savages are great shotguns!  Too bad I never got to use mine on any game.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2007, 02:21:27 AM »
Don't blame ya for jumping ship , I use the savage cause I have to ! It is a great slug gun but big ! I wish we could use handgun ctg. rifles where slugs are allowed , I have a colt lighting clone in .45 colt , it is light , dead on and fun to shoot !
Va. lets each county pick what wepons we can use , the county I live in will let ya hunt turkey with a rifle of any cal. but deer must be hunted with a shotgun or bp gun ! some make ya be 12 ft. off the ground others 15 ft . to use a bp gun but a slug is ok on the ground ! GOOD LUCK ON YA NEXT HUNT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline bearit

« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2007, 11:03:36 AM »
 Ithaca 20ga. storm lite.....leupold vari-x II 2x7 on warne QR rings.....federal 3" barnes slugs.....shoots holes touching @ 50yds.......about @' at 100yds......bearit....

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2007, 03:55:16 PM »
SHOOTALL,
      Sounds like you all have similar rules to what Indiana currently has (hopefully being changed soon).  In Indiana a guy can take a 300WM encore pistol (or any other kind of high power rifle cartidge in a pistol) and hunt legally while rifle are not allowed at all for deer and only shotguns and muzzleoaders are legal.  The laws just didn't make sense.  There was a high power pistol loophole that guys were using.  Now that they'll allow pistol cartridges in rifles there's sure to be more guys getting rid of their shotguns.  I love my shotgun, but it abuses me with ammo prices and recoil!

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2007, 04:12:34 PM »
Remington 1100 black parkerized, and black stocks, Remington rifle sights on 22 inch barrel (front sight is a fire sight), screw in chokes, 7 round magazine extension. With modified screw in choke will shoot inch and a half groups at 50 yards, using Federal Maximum slugs (2 3/4"). Some might think it heavy, but excellent hog gun in the brush, down here in North Central Texas. In fact I think it would be good in the brush anywhere on the planet. JMHO
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline cherokee75

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2007, 04:23:52 PM »
Remington 870 Express Mag 12 ga. with 4x32 Simmons Pro Diamond scope using Hornady sabots or my trusty 1100 with smooth bore and iron sights with Rem. Sluggers.

Offline MI.sabot

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2007, 05:17:29 PM »
12 ga H&R Ultra Slug Hunter with a 2x7x33 Luepold atop it.
Shooting one ragged hole at 50 yds with 2-3/4" 1 oz. Federal Barnes Expanders.

Also have a the same set-up but in the 20 gauge.
Just can't seem to get the same accuracy out of the 20 as I can with the 12 ga.

One of them is going to stay and the other is going to go.
Still a work in progress, but at the moment I'd rather tolerate the weight & recoil of the 12 ga for its acccuracy and consistency..

H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline Lawful Larry

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2007, 02:00:53 AM »
I live in a state DFG that caters to different county rules on hunting.  So I have different guns for different counties.  I use a Remington Magnum Express with a Tasco 2.5x shotgun scope.  The picture below shows a different scope that I got rid of for the Tasco which has a quicker sighting system while still hunting.  I use the Remington Copper Solid sabot in 3".  It is deadly on game.

Just another voice in the crowd!!!

Offline prairiedog555

• Contributor
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2007, 12:30:57 PM »
I have never used a slug gun, but I hunt in really dense wooded areas in Kansas pushing deer, rarely over a 80 yd shot, usually less.  I am really familiar with my 870 20ga.  it is light and fits me well.  I might just use slugs, I bet it really starches a deer.  And I hunt right out of town so it should lessen the chance of hurting anyone.
Do I need to buy a rifled barrel or just a rifled choke tube?  How much difference in accuracy?
And is 20ga OK or should I use 12ga?  Do slugs really drop, I mean if you sight in for 50yd how much drop at 100yd.  Which slugs are best?  Sabot or ?

Thanks

Offline 182a

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2007, 12:52:41 PM »
I have a 870 super mag with a 21" rifled barrel. I switched from a scope to a 44 mm red dot a few years ago.  Much easier if the deer is running and you can use both eyes. 

Huntsman1

« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2007, 01:16:46 PM »
Mine's a; Win.1200, with 24" smoothbore deer barrel in 12 gauge  w/Win choke and a Carlson Rifled choke tube and open sights. I cast my own slugs using a Lee Drive Key 1 oz. slug mould. I'm comfortable out to 70yds. I have'nt taken any deer yet with this set-up.
I'd put a scope on it but can't find a reliable or reasonably priced mount for it.

Offline deerhunter10

« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2007, 09:07:55 PM »
I have 2. A Remington 1100 synthetic 12 ga with a rifled barrel that I put a saddel mount on( took the cantaliever off, to much flex) topped with a Leupold 2-7x33 and an 870  gloss/satin finish( I don't like wood but this one is pretty and sealed) in a 20ga, also with a saddel mount for my Simmons 4x32. One problem with each of these. The 1100 because of the 21inch, 1/35 twist barrel only shoots the heavy 2 3/4 1oz(438gr) Federal Barnes Expander accurate at 100 yards. The 870 doesn't like the composite forend I tried to put one on it, it was free floated and my groups opened up a bit, ( I could live with it if I had to ) where the wood has a contact point under the barrel and it seems to really like it, so keep that in mind if ever going from factory wood to a new composite

Huntsman1

« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2007, 03:23:27 PM »
I have 2. A Remington 1100 synthetic 12 ga with a rifled barrel that I put a saddel mount on( took the cantaliever off, to much flex) topped with a Leupold 2-7x33 and an 870  gloss/satin finish( I don't like wood but this one is pretty and sealed) in a 20ga, also with a saddel mount for my Simmons 4x32. One problem with each of these. The 1100 because of the 21inch, 1/35 twist barrel only shoots the heavy 2 3/4 1oz(438gr) Federal Barnes Expander accurate at 100 yards. The 870 doesn't like the composite forend I tried to put one on it, it was free floated and my groups opened up a bit, ( I could live with it if I had to ) where the wood has a contact point under the barrel and it seems to really like it, so keep that in mind if ever going from factory wood to a new composite

What do you mean "too much flex" when talking about the cantilever mount?
Cheers

Offline deerhunter10

« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2007, 06:51:48 PM »
What I meant about to much flex, was any time you put any pressure on the scope, the cantilever would bend or flex, like the metal was weak. Other cantilever mounts I've seen are much stiffer and have much less of a gap between it and the receiver then the Remington barrels. I just wasn't comfortable with it.

Offline 1187VX2

« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2007, 07:22:04 AM »
When I first saw the cantilever mounts on the Remingtons (late80's/early 90's?), I though 'yea right, like that is going to work - That'll be off the market in a couple of years'.

Hmmmm...............they're still here aren't they?   And I'll even admit to owning one that has worked extremely well and that I like very much.  So I agree, the design looks sketchy, but the results have spoken for themselves, for me.

Offline deerhunter10

« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2007, 08:11:49 PM »
I keep hearing how great these cantilever mounts work, and my saddle mount seems to keep loosening  up, so I'm going put mine back on my 1100 and see what it does, and keep the saddle mount on my 870. Remington says both ways should be as accurate assuming the saddle mount stays tight and the cantilever was put on straight from the factory.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2007, 02:23:56 AM »
It would seem "Lock-tite" would be in order for the saddle mount. ;)
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Huntsman1

« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2007, 06:50:14 AM »
It would seem "Lock-tite" would be in order for the saddle mount. ;)

"Exactly"  As soon as you get her zeroed, dip the whole thing in "Lock-tite", lol. But all jokes aside, I use lock-tite on everything that I think will "loosen" up, Great suggestion Dee ;)

Offline j two dogs

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2007, 07:44:55 AM »
You know I have looked and looked and no body has mentioned the marlin 512 slugmaster, I have one that a friend took a nice piece of walnut and made a beautiful stock for it which I will be glass bedding, it has shot under 2 inches @ 100 with winchester bri's (3 inchers). It is now at the gunsmiths having a 2lb trigger put in, a will eventually be wearing a leupold 3x9 of some sort.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2007, 07:48:55 AM »
2dogs , i like the 2X7 leo
make sure you get enough eye relief then get a bit more !