Author Topic: Latest animal attack ...  (Read 1184 times)

Offline tuxdad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Latest animal attack ...
« on: January 29, 2007, 07:09:37 PM »
I have to give kudos to that lady who whupped up on that cougar to save her hubby...

Also, I have to ask a few questions... What in the world were they out hiking without atleast a knife on them?!??! :o

Being a country boy at heart, it's almost like being naked to not have atleast one knife on my person, if nothing more than a utility knife...

What are your thoughts on this latest attack??

Tux

Offline bigchuckie

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Latest animal attack ...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 08:38:37 PM »
Just goes to show if they stop hunting this is the end result I heard they shot 2 of them in the area that old man was attacked One of the cougars killed was the attacker
, if god didnt want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 02:24:55 AM »
  My thoughts are that these are wild critters n bound to attack once in awhile. The PETA types wanna think of em as cute n cuddly, but we all know better. It seems like the more restiction on hunting these cats and the less they are hunted, the more common these attacks become.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 05:25:26 AM »
So true.  I heard they down-graded that gentlemen's condition due to infection from the cougar's bacteria.  It's too bad it wasn't one of those PETA types that was attacked instead.  I hope he pulls through.

Offline tuxdad

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 05:47:49 AM »
I think they had him on the tele last night on cnn or some other news channel talking about the attack...

I was once told by my uncle about fighting critters, something to the affect of giving them more than they can swallow by shoving your fist down their throat :o, and making them gag and back off...

Not sure I'd have the "nuggets" to do it but knowing how crazy he was he'd have done it without a second thought.... :o

Hope he pulls through as well, and if or when he goes out walking he'll be packing something to fight with, just in case...

Tux

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 09:14:00 AM »
Just wondering:  (You can tell I'm still a Hillbilly)  Did anyone down south hear about the wolf attacks within the last year or did the media shut it up. 

A healthy man went cross country skiing down the Tanana River and did not return.  Search people found his remains down river.   He had been so badly deviored by wolves that the cause of death could not be determined.  (Yea, right)

A woman driving north on the Dalton Highway got out of her car at the Arctic Circle rest stop.  After exiting her car heading to the restroom, she was attacked by a wolf.  She sustained several bites on the buttocks.  (Anyone that knows wolves knows that this was an attempt to hamstring her)  The woman was able to get into the toilet and close the door, without the wolf getting inside.  She then had to wait till other people came along and ran the wolf off before being able to come out.  Witnesses reported that it was a lactating female.

A few days later a man was riding a bicycle down the Dalton Highway, when a wolf started chasing him.  The wolf was gaining, when a trucker came from behind, and seeing what was going on, hit the wolf with his front wheel. Investigators determined this was not the same wolf that had attacked the lady at the Arctic Circle.  This wolf was a male.

These wild animals are choosing their natural prey, face it we are nothing more than herd animals to them.  Only through education of being hunted do they learn differant.  If preditors have a fear of man, then hunting is stopped.  Within two generations all fear is lost, and we again become prey.  That time frame is about 6 years. 

Defending onesself against wild animal attacks differs with species.  With an animal such as a couger, fight like your life depends on it, cause it does.  Same thing with a Black Bear, but not a Grizzly, with the Grizzly play dead.  Any mother grazing animal protecting her young, play dead.  Wolves you're in trouble, fight with anything you can get ahold of, and find something to protect your back.  You know this is something people need to know since the groups such as Friends Of Animals, are trying to stop all hunting, especially preditors.

A couple of summers ago a young GI from Eielson was returning to the base on his motorcycle.  He came upon a cow Moose and her Calf.  I can't remember if he hit the cow or the calf, anyway he went down on the pavement.  The cow attacked him with her feet.  She would walk away, he would move and she would attack again.  Finally he just laid still till she left or was driven off.  His protective gear saved his life.  The cow kept targeting his head every attack.  She just kept hitting his helmet with her front feet.  He said later that he had always thought the helmet was a good idea, now he knows it.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 03:46:44 PM »
We wheel the river where the cougar attack happened.  5 mins from down town OKC.
Rest assured we will be packin when we make our next river run. Protected or not if one of them cats has anything on it's mind but running, well y'all get the picture.
Could be a big problem for folks on quads, the cane grass and brush is thick and the trails narrow along the Canadian. Most whould do well to stay on the open river bed.

Pat
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
  • Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    • The Mountain
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 01:24:10 AM »
I have to give kudos to that lady who whupped up on that cougar to save her hubby...

Also, I have to ask a few questions... What in the world were they out hiking without atleast a knife on them?!??! :o

I have wondered that myself as I have always been told to carry at least a good sheath knife and stout hiking stick when hiking in the Smokies. Those two were out there in known mountain lion territory with nothing but a ball point pen, what were they thinking?
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline tuxdad

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 02:22:08 AM »
Just wondering:  (You can tell I'm still a Hillbilly)  Did anyone down south hear about the wolf attacks within the last year or did the media shut it up. 

A healthy man went cross country skiing down the Tanana River and did not return.  Search people found his remains down river.   He had been so badly deviored by wolves that the cause of death could not be determined.  (Yea, right)

A woman driving north on the Dalton Highway got out of her car at the Arctic Circle rest stop.  After exiting her car heading to the restroom, she was attacked by a wolf.  She sustained several bites on the buttocks.  (Anyone that knows wolves knows that this was an attempt to hamstring her)  The woman was able to get into the toilet and close the door, without the wolf getting inside.  She then had to wait till other people came along and ran the wolf off before being able to come out.  Witnesses reported that it was a lactating female.

A few days later a man was riding a bicycle down the Dalton Highway, when a wolf started chasing him.  The wolf was gaining, when a trucker came from behind, and seeing what was going on, hit the wolf with his front wheel. Investigators determined this was not the same wolf that had attacked the lady at the Arctic Circle.  This wolf was a male.

These wild animals are choosing their natural prey, face it we are nothing more than herd animals to them.  Only through education of being hunted do they learn differant.  If preditors have a fear of man, then hunting is stopped.  Within two generations all fear is lost, and we again become prey.  That time frame is about 6 years. 

Defending onesself against wild animal attacks differs with species.  With an animal such as a couger, fight like your life depends on it, cause it does.  Same thing with a Black Bear, but not a Grizzly, with the Grizzly play dead.  Any mother grazing animal protecting her young, play dead.  Wolves you're in trouble, fight with anything you can get ahold of, and find something to protect your back.  You know this is something people need to know since the groups such as Friends Of Animals, are trying to stop all hunting, especially preditors.

A couple of summers ago a young GI from Eielson was returning to the base on his motorcycle.  He came upon a cow Moose and her Calf.  I can't remember if he hit the cow or the calf, anyway he went down on the pavement.  The cow attacked him with her feet.  She would walk away, he would move and she would attack again.  Finally he just laid still till she left or was driven off.  His protective gear saved his life.  The cow kept targeting his head every attack.  She just kept hitting his helmet with her front feet.  He said later that he had always thought the helmet was a good idea, now he knows it.

I guess the media was quiet on those attacks... I don't recall hearing about any of those...

It just proves a point that a lot of folks don't fathom...

When you're in the wilderness the top of the food chain can and will change with every minute, if not second...

I ALWAYS have one if not 2 tools(weapons)on me, just about all the time, be it in the woods or anywhere..
Just the country boy in me I guess... ;)

Tux

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 02:28:06 PM »
I read about the wolf attacks in Outdoor Life a couple of issues back. They had a feature article about the fella killed next to the river.   Never heard about the moose though.  I always have a stout sheath knife with me, whenever I go outdoors, at the least.  Usually a handgun or a rifle, I've had too many run-ins with feral dogs in the last couple of years.  Especially when I have my kids with me, I am prepared.  I could never live with myself if something happened to them because I wasn't prepared.

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
    • The Mountain
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 03:21:14 PM »
I read about the wolf attacks in Outdoor Life a couple of issues back. They had a feature article about the fella killed next to the river.   Never heard about the moose though.  I always have a stout sheath knife with me, whenever I go outdoors, at the least.  Usually a handgun or a rifle, I've had too many run-ins with feral dogs in the last couple of years.  Especially when I have my kids with me, I am prepared.  I could never live with myself if something happened to them because I wasn't prepared.

You mention the feral dogs, that is a good idea to be protected from them also. I once had a run in with a different type feral dog, only mine walked on two legs, was drunk enough to want a little trouble and wouldn't let me pass. When I pulled the big barrel of my Super Blackhawk up and let him see how big the barrel looked from that end, he decided that I was free to go on my way. My wife was with me that day also and things could have turned out for the worse, but the handgun solved our problems on that trip and that feral dog didn't want to be obnoxious any longer. He had a entirely different attitude from that point on.
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sheila

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 03:27:03 PM »
That is scary, and with the coyote population here in Pennsylvania. They say the wolves are heading east right, that means they are on their way to my state. And they has been reports of cougers in Pennsylvania, and the stupid Game Commision keeps denying it.
[

United we stand against Ovomit.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 07:55:03 PM »
A bunch of Red Wolves were turned loose in the Land Between The Lakes(Tennessee and Kentucky).  That's East of the Mississippi, and not too far from Ohio, and Penn.  It's been reported that they (the Red Wolves) are crossing with Cayotes, and ferel dogs. 

There has been a real problem with feral dogs in Tennessee for a long time.  When I was a kid we would go out hunting them.  Packs would develop and cause lots of problems for the farmers.  The first things I ever shot with a rifle was dogs.  People from Nashville would bring these dogs out to the country and turn them loose, instead of taking them to the pound.  I'll never forget one incident where a car stopped down next to the barn across the road from the house.  My Grandfather and I were sitting on the porch.  The driver got out and tied two dogs to a small bush, then started driving up the road.  When the dogs started fighting their tether and one got loose, the driver took off fast.  My Grandfather picked up his rifle and shot the loose one, then he shot the one still tied.  Suddenly the car stopped and a woman got out and went to screaming at my Grandfather.  The old man went out and told her husband that he did not need any more chicken killers around here.  And he better shut his wife up before he called the sheriff and reported them for dumping dogs.  He then took a pencil and paper out and wrote down the licsence number off the car.  The woman then turned on her husband screaming that this was the reason she did not take them to the pound, she did not want them to be killed.  My Grandfather then told her not to ever bring anymore back there that he or his neighbors would do the same.

I'll never forget going out one morning and finding dogs slashing the sides up on a mare we had.  They were chasing her and kept jumping up and biting her sides.  I went back in and got my Grandfather and a rifle.  I shot two German Shepards and some kind of big Terrior. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline no guns here

Hooker...
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 04:05:30 AM »
I thought the attack was in California?  Definitely not five minutes from "the City"

ngh
"I feared for my life!"

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 08:34:55 AM »
I've never had a problem with two-legged feral animals, thank goodnness. 

One day years ago, a buddy and myself were out hunting, and we decided to try rattling a buck up.  Well, I was cracking the antlers like crazy, going to town with them.  I stopped, and we heard something big crashing through the woods toward us.  We looked at each other like "Holy crap!  It worked!" 

Next thing I know, there were three huge dogs on top of us.  They surrounded us, and kept working in a circle, trying to close in.  I mean, they were HUGE!  There was a Doberman, one that looked like a German Shepard mix, and a Rottweiler the size of Arnold Scharwzeneggar (how do you spell that anyway?   ::)).  I've never seen a dog like that before or since then.  The muscularity of that dog was amazing. They were all close to 100 lbs each, with the Rotty at least 150.  I didn't think that Dobermans or Germans could get that big.  They just stopped and watched us when they saw we weren't a deer.  Then the Rotty charged at us, and the others went at us from behind.  I shot the Rotty and the Doberman, my buddy got the German.  That was the day I traded in the .243 for something in .308.  I put the Rotty down with a center chest shot, then shot him again to make sure.  The other two dogs just dropped on the spot. 

They were definitely a hunting pack of dogs.  Could have been BAD news for someone who wasn't armed.  Scared the tee-total hell out of both of us.  Those mutts were coming all the way.  And they knew what the rattling meant too, they were right on top of us within a minute or so.

The wolves in Land Between the Lakes are the reason I use a bigger gun for predator hunting now.  With all of the species making in-roads to places, you never know what's going to show up.  I'd hate to be calling and turn to see a big wolf or a black bear deciding whether or not to have me for dinner, and have nothing but a .223 or 22-250 in my hand.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 01:51:19 PM »
I have alittle differant situation now, I no longer live in Tennessee.  I am now living in the interior of Alaska.  In the summer time I always have a .338, .35, or 45-70 in my hand, or a 454 Casull on my hip.

Five years ago my partner and I were fishing on Beaver Creek.  I was building a fire on shore while my partner was standing out in the stream fishing.  Suddenly a Cow Moose came out of the brush, with a calf in tow.  I was a bit disturbed cause I was down on my knees, and my gun was leaning against a tree where she had came out of the woods.  The cow walked to within 15 yards of the fire, looked straight at me, then laid down in the grass.  What do I do?  Crawl away, get up and run, stay put and hope for the best.  I chose the latter.  I slowly put more sticks on the fire, and sat down on the ground.  A few minutes later a Grizzly came out of the woods at the same location.  The bear stopped before it was totally out from cover.  At this point I moved, I crawled towards the water, where my partner had a pistol at least.  My rifle was leaning against a tree beside the bear.  The cow jumped up, I dropped to my belly and froze.  The bear went back into the woods, and disappeared from sight.  The cow continued to follow the sound of the bear as it circled around the clearing we were in.  The bear came back into sight on the bank of the creek.  It then crossed the creek, at which time my partner finally noticed something was going on.  My partner came running down to the fire.  As he approched the fire he saw the Moose and Calf, he then stopped looking for me.  I was hidden in the grass from his view.  I slowly sat up and he dropped down and crawled over to me.  The bear walked up and down on the other side of the stream, looking at the Moose and the fire.  The bear being down wind could smell us, and after a while it just sat down watching.  The cow laid back down then.  We continued to sit there till the fire started burning down.  I decided to put some more wood on the fire, thinking if the fire went out the bear might come back across the creek.  I slowly got up and walked back to the fire.  I placed more wood on the fire, and sat down on a stump.  My partner joined me, where we sat whispering to each other.  After an eternity (about 20 minutes) the bear got up, at which time the cow got up.  We got up, the cow looked at us, and we sat back down.  The bear went into the woods, the cow continued to watch, the calf nursed, and we sat still, without talking.  After another eternity the cow went back the way she came.  I ran and grabbed my rifle.

That's why I now carry a .454 Casull period.  On my person, or a rifle in my hand, never again will I be caught with out one.  When riding the 4 wheeler I carry the pistol in a shoulder holster, cause the rifle is in a case and I can't get to it fast.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 02:26:20 PM »
It would seem that the moose knew where to go for protection.... :D

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
    • The Mountain
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007, 04:19:47 PM »
Sourdough, a couple of questions, what do you think would have happened if you and your buddy didn't have that fire going? Do you think that maybe the fire might have kept the moose and the bear from getting any closer or doing anything?  ???
AMM
The Mountain

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2007, 06:43:34 PM »
I believe with all my heart, that cow knew what she was doing.  She used me and the fire to get the Grizzly off her tail, and to save her Calf.  I think the fire kept the Grizzly from coming closer.  Because when it came out it stopped and sort of backed up.  Then it looked at the Cow then at the fire then at me.  I had just pushed a big spruch bough on the fire and it was crackling loudly, with high flames.  The Cow seemed to ignore it, but the bear did not.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline alsaqr

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2007, 03:56:17 AM »
Was hunting about a month ago near Cache, OK, when a big feral dog bowed up and came toward me.  Shot him dead.  Looked like a Samoyed cross. 

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
    • The Mountain
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2007, 05:29:27 AM »
Sourdough, that was a very interesting and informative post about the bear, moose with calf and fire, thanks for sharing it with us.  :D
AMM
The Mountain

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2007, 12:26:57 PM »
Normally, I carry a gun... everywhere.  I have a CCW permit, but I carried a pistol long before anyone ever heard of a "CCW permit" when I was either in the woods on in the city.

Bears, moose... and even deer CAN BE dangerous to deal with in "mano-a-mano" situations, but another MAN can be FAR more dangerous than any other predator or wild animal.  Thus the reason for the pistol.

The "difference" is that we are "trained" by our society to accept another man's presence in relatively close proximity of ourselves whereas if that same man were a bear, we'd be on full "alert" and ready to make WAR if necessary.

Anymore, it is a wise man who is "ALWAYS READY".............   ;)

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson