Author Topic: Hunting in Black Hills  (Read 1342 times)

Offline Big Al in Nebr

• Trade Count: (0)
Hunting in Black Hills
« on: January 31, 2007, 03:18:50 AM »
Not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but here goes.  My youngest is headed off to college in Rapid City. (does that qualify for out west?)  How is the hunting in that area?  He is willing to travel to Wyo. for big game also.  Any thoughts or sugguestions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline IMshooter

• Avid Poster
Re: Hunting in Black Hills
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 04:20:59 PM »
My brother went to school in Rapid City at the SD School of Mines and Technology.  He is an avid hunter and did well on mule deer and antelope.  If your son gets qualified as a resident, there is elk hunting as well.  Regardless, I am sure your son will have a great time.

Offline Selmer

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 03:31:42 PM »
Since your son is will presumably be a full-time student at SDSM&T, he will have resident status, while maintaining resident status in whatever state he is coming from.  There is excellent hunting in that area for whitetails, mule deer, antelope, grouse if you want to drive a little, as well as elk and prairie dogs.  I'm a former South Dakota resident but never hunted the Black Hills area, the farthest West we came was just on the west side of the Missouri.  I wish him luck, there should be plenty of public ground to cover thanks to SD's Walk-In Area program, look it up!
Selmer 
"Next to the glory of God, music deserves the highest praise"-Martin Luther
Any homo sapien with the proper chromosomes can be labeled a father, but it takes a man to be called "Daddy"-unknown

Offline mikedb

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 03:12:04 PM »
My wife went to the SDSM&T for her MS.  We lived in Spearfish at the time.  That was over 20 yrs ago.  The hunting was good for deer and antelope.  Elk was and still is a draw.  Last time I was out visiting some of my friends have started coyote hunting.  A guy that worked for me loved to shoot the praire pups.  And yes it is the west.  Try telling one of the locals they do not live in the west and watch what happens.  There is also good waterfowl along the Mo river and potholes in addition to the pheasant we all know about.  Dang I miss it.

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 09:04:40 PM »
If not there, the hunting in Eastern Montana is fabulous.  Especially around the Jordan Area.  The state also has a program to get hunters onto sponsered private ranches.  We always hunted the Brown Ranch just west of Jordan.  Those were shinnin times.  It wasn't find your deer, it was more wait for the BIG ONE.

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline NONYA

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 10:01:55 PM »
many of the ranchs around jordan are now leased by outfitters,most of the roads in the CMR are closed and the block managment lands are shot out,its not what it used to be.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm