Author Topic: Good Quality Value priced compact scope  (Read 556 times)

Offline SoftPoint

• Trade Count: (0)
Good Quality Value priced compact scope
« on: January 31, 2007, 10:44:06 AM »
I am in the market for a compact scope for a level action 444marlin rifle. Someone had recommended the bushnell trophy 1.75-4.5X32. I had noticed that this scope is also available in the banner line, but at a reduced cost. What makes the trophy line better then the banners, and is there another scope in the same price range that would be good?

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
Re: Good Quality Value priced compact scope
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 12:00:03 PM »
Trophy has better coating on the lenses........maybe a little fancier cosmetics.  In the $100 range, you aren't going to get much better than those two.  Maybe a Simmons pro shotgun scope, I'd had it and the Bushnell Trophy and can't decide which is better.

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 12:21:52 PM »
I didn't like the Trophy I had compared to the Banner.  It had a weird yellowish tint to everything.  The Banner was just as bright and I would guess they have the same coatings just not the "Amber Bright"  which I can't stand.  I mounted a 2-7x30 Mueller Multi-Shot on my Marlin and with the reiticle, it was the best decision I've ever made with optics.  You have a ring that will cover a 4" circle and a crosshair that covers 1/2'' at a 100 yards.  You can't beat it for quick shots at running game. 

Offline wink_man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 02:32:14 AM »
I think 30-30Man covered all the bases as far as Trophy versus Banner, and I'm in full agreement with him, except I prefer the duplex without the circle as a recticle choice. I've been using the Banner for years, they are crystal clear, take a licking and keep on ticking, and have never had a problem with any of them. There is a lot to be said for expensive glass(and I have it all), yet every time I look through a Banner scope it seems to contradict this.  I feel the Banner 1.5X4.5 is THE ONLY scope to set up an Eastern whitetail rifle or shotgun with. Like I said, crystal clear, at 1.5, equivalent to iron sights for close shots(like under 10 yards), adequate eye relief even for 12 gauge slugs, and even with 12 gauge recoil never had one fail.  I've never had one fail to come through. Between me and the kids we have about a dozen of these scopes set up on various rifles & shotguns for deer hunting. And available for about 65 dollars from Midsouth Shooters supply, who advertise on here. Almost sounds to good to be true. There is simply no other scope I'd pick to set up an eastern deer rifle with for hunting thick stuff and easily adequte to 200 some yards at 4.5 power. But the real key is the low power 1.5 setting, and the ease of target acquistion at close range. Lets face it, most whitetails are shot at very close quarters and immediate target acquisition is the key for good shot placement, or even managing to get a shot for that matter. Were I to set up a slug gun for Iowa, or a rifle for Nebraska, I'd probably look at things differently, but for the east, or any area with heavy cover, it's the only scope I'll use to set up a gun with anymore.
Garry
'Life is to short to hang with an ugly woman, or hunt with an ugly gun' - Garry
'It's not that our liberal friends are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't' Ronald Reagan
Just ask an American Indian what happens when you let immigration get out of hand.

Offline SoftPoint

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 05:17:51 AM »
I will be using it for mule deer/elk timber hunting. So I guess there is a concensus on the banner brand being the best value for the money?

Offline wink_man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 06:32:27 AM »
I will be using it for mule deer/elk timber hunting. So I guess there is a concensus on the banner brand being the best value for the money?

I don't know what distances you'll see game out there, but where I hunt whitetails, the longest shot I've ever had an opportunity at for one has been 75 yards, most are taken within bow range, so fast and immediate target acquisition is paramount to me. I used to routinely target shoot at 100/200 yards and I find the 4.5X power adequate at those ranges. Just to give you an idea, because of the close ranges encountered where me and the kids hunt, we ALWAYS have the scope set at the 1.5 setting, figuring if game is further away we will then have time to increase the power setting, and we have yet to shoot a deer at more than the 1.5 power setting.
In my opinion, I don't think you could find more scope for the money than a Bushnell Banner. Sure there is more expensive glass out there, that is better but in the Banner's price range, and even above it somewhat, I don't think you'll find a scope that will beat it, and a lifetime warranty too.
Garry
Garry
'Life is to short to hang with an ugly woman, or hunt with an ugly gun' - Garry
'It's not that our liberal friends are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't' Ronald Reagan
Just ask an American Indian what happens when you let immigration get out of hand.