Author Topic: Nikon Monarch users, opinions wanted  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Selmer

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
Nikon Monarch users, opinions wanted
« on: January 31, 2007, 12:12:18 PM »
I'm considering buying a Monarch 6.5-20x to put on my 6mm PPC for target/varmint shooting.  Do any of you have any complaints about the Monarch line?  I haven't heard too many complaints, but I like the honesty of GB members. :)  I know it seems like a lot of power, but all this barrel will be doing is punching paper, bottles, p-dogs, and predators.  If I can get a 85-100 gr. partition to group well, I might chase deer with it in the West River country of SD where shots under 100 yds. are rare.  Let me know what you think, frank opinion are appreciated.
Selmer
"Next to the glory of God, music deserves the highest praise"-Martin Luther
Any homo sapien with the proper chromosomes can be labeled a father, but it takes a man to be called "Daddy"-unknown

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
Re: Nikon Monarch users, opinions wanted
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 02:45:01 PM »
I've had a couple of Monarchs.  Happy with all of them, and I have no problem recommending it as a quality product.  If you can use the 20x power, it's a good choice.  I personally have a hard time using more than 12x-15x. 

Offline SDS-GEN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 03:06:13 PM »
I have a couple of Nikons, one is a Monarch.  No complaints at all,  I think you will have a hard time beating Nikon for the money.  I agree with kyelkhunter 20x seems like overkill.

Offline longshot

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 04:04:24 PM »
I'v got a Monarch on my 22-250 and a Buckmaster on my 25-06 and love them both.  I agree with SDS-GEN, you can't beat the Nikon's for the price. 

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 04:09:22 PM »
I have a Monarch 2x7 32 on my Rem 700 in a 7-08. For the money it's one of the best scopes around.

Offline Zachary

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 01:06:14 PM »
I have more Nikons than any other manufacturer.  Some Pre-Monarchs, most Monarchs.  All have performed perfectly with no problems, and the optics are increadible!

Zachary

Offline 45/70sharpshooter

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 03:38:48 AM »
Just a word of advice, do not for any reason get the fine crosshair. I have a couple of Nikon monarch's and the first one I ordered with the fine crosshair, because I do shoot paper also. Bad move ,the crosshairs  are so fine,along with almost 60 year old eyes.... :o. I do like the monarch line of scopes,and these are one of my favorite scopes.Just my two cents on the fine crosshair. 45/70sharpshooter

Offline 45/70fan

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 04:01:14 AM »
I've got 3x9 and 2x7 Nikon Monarchs and really like them. They hold zero well and when you do adjust one they move exactly where they are supposed to. To my eye they are a little clearer than my 3x9 Leupold VXII's.

Offline Ahab

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 06:15:11 AM »
I have more Nikons than any other manufacturer.  Some Pre-Monarchs, most Monarchs.  All have performed perfectly with no problems, and the optics are increadible!

Zachary

Me too! Can't tell much if any any differance when comparing to my Zeiss.
NRA Endowment
Arizona Bighorn Sheep Society member
Arizona Antelope Foundation member

Offline smokey262

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Avid Poster
Don't wait, buy now!
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 03:26:29 PM »
Just received my Monarch 6.5-20x44 on closeout for $341 shipped.  This scope is excellent. 

I waited about three or four weeks after the sale started thinking about it, and finally decided to buy it last Friday.  Its a killer deal.  If you have been thinking about doing it don't wait too long.  Some models are already gone, and others are hard to come by.

smokey262

Offline ccoker

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • www.tacticalgunreview.com
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 04:22:53 PM »
I have owned several Monarchs
and use the 4-12x40 AO on my Sako 243
I feel they are the best scopes out there in the price range

Offline Wynn

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 05:08:28 PM »
Like others have said, it is the best in it's price range. I have no complaints about the 2 Monarchs I have. Definitely clearer than the VXII on my 243.
American by birth; Southern by the Grace of God

Offline northjdr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 06:06:12 PM »
I just purchased the Monarch 6.5X20 44 oa, nicoplex reticle on sale through Midway. I put it on my Savage VLP .223. I love this scope and have good luck with my 3 other Nikon scopes(3x9 Monarch BDC, 4.5x14 buckmasters, and a3x9 Prostaff for my .17)
Inches make champions.

Vince Lombardi