Author Topic: Scout scope  (Read 409 times)

Offline K.K

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Scout scope
« on: February 01, 2007, 05:16:42 AM »
I am thinking of mounting a scout mount on my Marlin Guide Gun in .450.  My question is which type of scope should I choose and who makes them? Do I need long or intermediate eye relief?  What are some ballpark prices?  I like the idea of this set-up, but I could use some help on the scope. Thank you for your thoughts.

K.K

Offline Thebear_78

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Scout scope
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 08:05:16 AM »
THere is just one that I realy like.  The leupold 2.5x scout scope.  I have them on my guide gun and 9.3x62.  Very durable scope.  This is a real keeper!!!!

Offline SeaBass

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 04:12:13 PM »
  Not only is the Leupold scout scope the best.  It is basically the only quality scout scope there is.
I think they go for around $250. 

The XS lever scout mount is a good match for it with Leupold quick release rings.
I have one on my model 94 and I carry it more than any other rifle I own. 
The scout set up very quick to bring to bear.  About as quick as iron sights.

Offline SeaBass

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 04:33:00 PM »
It seems Burris makes a scout scope as well.  I don't know if they just recently started offering them or if I just missed them.  They are slightly less expensive than the Leupold but have a 20mm obj vs the Leupold's 28mm obj.  I would expect the Burris to be a quality scope, but I still think that in this application the Leupold is the only way to go.

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 08:09:17 PM »
I believe Burris made the first "scout" scopes.  I have a 2.75XS20 mounted on a Swede Mauser that I purchased at least a dozen years ago, maybe more.  When Cooper started getting his scout concept accepted, I seem to recall that Burris was the only and first one making such a scope.  (Not entirely sure of this, but I  believe the Leupold came later.)  I really can find no fault with the Burris, but mine does have a pretty thin plex.  I think they are more of a duplex now.  I may also try a Leupold someday as they get very good reviews and Leupold is a quality product, but the Burris is also a good scope and costs somewhat less.
Another option to save some $$$ and maybe get just as good is the Nikon Monarch EER 2X20 handgun scope, which will work fine.  This scope has parallax adjustment set for 100 yards to be used as a scout scope, and is tough, petite, and with good optics.  The Optic Zone (a GBO sponsor) has them for $159, and you can see that it is recommended for scout rifle duty as well.
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.