Author Topic: what is a good basic set-up?  (Read 518 times)

Offline cetme

• Trade Count: (0)
what is a good basic set-up?
« on: February 03, 2007, 10:07:45 PM »
Whats the minimum gear I need to get started with bullet casting for 44 mag and 357?

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: what is a good basic set-up?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 01:08:19 AM »
depends on how involved you want to get. Lyman sells a nice setup in its expert casting  kit. You get about everything you need to cast and size bullets for a little over a 100 bucks. Only thing you will need to add to it is a mold for each a sizer die for each and some lead. So for under 200 bucks you can be set with equiptment that will do it all properly. If you get into it more seriously you will eventually probably want to upgrade to a bottom pour pot but ladle casting is a good way to learn.  If you want to go even cheaper you can heat your lead over a flame. (turkey fryer ect.) buy tumble lube lee molds a lee sizer kit for each caliber and do it that way. But most serious casters eventually go to a sizer press of some kind and to conventional lubed bullet molds.
blue lives matter

Offline Castaway

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: what is a good basic set-up?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 09:55:47 AM »
The minimum amount of gear is a melting pot, ladle, mould and a heat source. Lubing can be done with Lee Liquid Alox and if shooting a revolver, no sizing is necessary.  If casting for an auto-loader, you can get a sizing die from Lee for around $14.  You can make do with a large spoon, Coleman propane heater and a cast iron pot found at an oldtime hardware store (or Lee pot for around $5).  On the other hand, if you decide to go full out, the sky's the limit.  I cast a few thousand 45 ACP's as described above but then only added a larger pot, heated electrically for larger production runs.  For my large bullets in limited number, I'll still fire up the Coleman and do it on my tailgate.