Author Topic: favorite conceal and carry weapon and why.  (Read 3853 times)

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
favorite conceal and carry weapon and why.
« on: February 04, 2007, 10:17:20 AM »
Hello all. I am a fairly new member of Graybeard outdoors but haven't posted on this forum yet. Just been reading. I am going to buy a conceal and carry pistol within the next week or two and wanted to get some input from folks with experience. From reading the posts here ya'll seem to know quite a bit about the subject. I am of fairly slight build so I think a large gun IE: 1911 and such will be too large for me to conceal very easily. Here is what I am thinking. I am going to buy a 357 magnum 5 shot with a 2" barrell first but then later add a North American Arms 22 magnum. I am not sure especially in warm weather that I can conceal a 357 very easily. If you don't mind sharing some of your wisdom I would appreciate it. Thanks, Charlie
NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: favorite conceal and carry weapon and why.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »
cbourbeau32,
I'm sure you'll find many thoughts on carry guns here. I'm sure they all will have merit. I have most all major types of handguns in my safes. Having said that, I have not found any one gun that is the perfect CCW for all circumstances. I usually rotate a Glock 36, Officer's .45acp, full size 1911 .45acp, and on occasion a 4" S&W mdl29. All depending on dress and where I'm going. For a pocket or deep cover gun, I always have a P-3AT or a PF-9. Again, depending on multiple factors, I carry IWB/OWB/Pocket/shoulder holster/or belly band. So---be prepared to buy many guns and holsters in your search for the ideal CCW!!! :o
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline S.S.

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 12:19:55 PM »
The advice I would give  is to stay away from the .22 mag. if you are talking about the Mini-Revolver.
Poor accuracy is the norm, Mine used to burn my fingers with the cylinder gap flash.
As far as a larger weapon for everyday carry, I can't even advise you there. I have carried so many different weapons I would have a hard time narrowing it down to one.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Gregory

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 02:06:17 PM »
I've got a Beretta Tomcat 32 ACP for carry in the summer.

Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)

Offline sixgunluv

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 06:47:51 PM »
Kel-Tec P-11  9mm because it is very small, weighs next to nothing, and has a metal clip attached to the gun so I don't even need a holster.  Also a Davis Derringer in 38 spl with the trigger smoothed down to about 3.5lbs. with a holster&clip by MJ Keenan.

Offline hvacman

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 02:09:33 AM »
The last 2 years I've been carrying a S&W 642 38 Sp. +p in a Don Hume IWB holster. Works great for me and the way I dress. I think I would shoot a 2 in. barrel 357 many times before I decided to carry it The 38 with +P ammo can be a handful for some people. Just my opinion.
it's the Bill of Rights not the Bill of Needs

Offline tomf52

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 04:14:00 AM »
I have a Smith Model 60 in 3" and find it no trouble to carry with a Uncle Mike's IWB cordura holster. +P ammo is a lot more controllable to shoot though. The .357's through this gun can be a challenge to handle.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 04:55:17 AM »
Sig 245 with eight round mag.  Big, effective, and very reliable.  At other times, it is a model 60, or model 649 in .357, and on rare occassions a Makarov P-64, sometimes, in a suit, or summer dress the big gun imprints too bad so I go smaller.  But another thing I always consider, where will I be going, and what is the possibility of needing a gun in that area.  In a high crime area, I always go big, and slip another eight round mag in my pocket.

tomf52.  Tame the model 60 with a set of Crimson Trace Laser Grips.  I am 68 years old and shoot the full blown .357s with no problem.  The trick, with the laser grips, I can pull the gun to my hip with a two hand grip, and still be very accurat in bullet placement, just put the red dot on target and squeeze the trigger.  And at the same time, I have both eyes open to see what's going on around me.  If you are small, you may want to step down to the +P ammo, it handles even better.  Try it!

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 05:17:56 AM »
Kel-Tec P11,13 rounds 9mm ,115gr Cor-Bon, iwb uncle mikes el-cheapo holster works for me   Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline hysteriapb

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 10:15:19 AM »
Sounds like you already decided on a gun, but just to be helpful...  ;D i can conceal my taurus pt111 quite easily and im pretty skinny... ( 5'11'', 135 lbish.)
I'm using this thing i saw advertised in a handgun magazine, a Clipdraw. Mounted it on the side and i can tuck inside my waistband in the front just off center and can conceal it even under tight shirts and jeans. Pretty sure they sell them for revolvers or anything.

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 01:38:27 PM »
I'm probably starting to get some people here pee o'd with this business but here goes anyway.  If you are going to carry concealed then you need to decide just what level of threat you are going to be prepared for.  If your attacker is a little old lady with an "attack umbrella" then a .22 short revolver should be enough gun to get the job done.  If, on the other hand, you think you might come up against 6' 4" & 235# Louie Packaload who just blew into town, after a stay at San Quinton prison, with the notion of going out on the town with a fresh load of PCP, meth, or heroine in his arm and some Jack Danials thrown in for fun,  then its a different situation.  You'll be wanting some REAL stopping powere to handle Louie.  I have 357 magnum, 45 ACP, and 44 magnum set up for conealed carry and for SURE the latter is my favorite.  To each his own, but for my money its really smart to have ENOUGH GUN to get the job done no matter who the assailent is. 
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 04:11:41 PM »
Thanks to everyone who has responded thus far. It has given my allot of food for thought. Thanks again, Charlie

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 02:09:34 AM »
Not knowing your experience with firearms, I would first ask you, "What do you shoot the best with?" and "What feels the best in your hand?"

Someone elses favorite carry gun is not mine and so on.  Basing your decision on what to carry based on answers given here on a forum board... you might as well stand in the middle of the room and ask the question.  If there are 40 people that carry in that room, you will get 40 differant answers.

It you get a revolver or small semi auto, practice and practice and practice well with it.  And remember shot placement is the key to survival.

My favorite and only carry caliber is the 5 shot .44 Spl in a 2" package.  Why, because it has plenty of smackdown and its all I need.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 03:17:50 AM »
I have two--well three--choices.
PPK or S&W snubbie in the front pocket.
Any other semi-auto stuck in a place that is comfortable and concealable.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline RufusG

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 04:21:30 AM »
I usually carry a Smith J-frame .357 with a clipdraw as mentioned above.  I just stick it in the front of my pants to the right of my belt buckle.  I live in Arizona and wear shorts and a tee shirt ten months of the year.  I've never been "made".

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 11:23:07 AM »
You will notice that the Kel-tec P11 gets lots of votes and there is a good reason for that.  Lightwt (very important before the end of the day!), compact and easy shooting.  I personally carry a compact .45 most of the time, but also favor my S&W airweight for certain times.  You can hide any gun you choose when you know how, (and if you are willing to make some compromises in how you dress) but for all day comfort it needs to be lightwt and compact.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline 257 roberts

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2007, 02:21:25 AM »
What Williamlayton said( I use Galco pocket holsters for my PPK and S&W M49)
I usally have a Colt Off. 45acp REAL close by also ;D

Offline IMshooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2007, 04:52:41 AM »
Many years ago I was stationed in Spain.  If the Spaniards granted one a pistol permit, that permit also allowed you to carry it concealed.  I used a Colt model 1903 in .32 acp.  My buddies all opted for 9mms and .45s.  But the weather there was usually very warm and a big pistol did not conceal well (tight clothing was the fashion then as well).  They usually ended up carrying their pistol in a brief case, which was way too slow to get out.

My little .32 was an easy gun to carry and conceal in an inside the pants clip type holster.  Now-a-days there are much better choices than an old Colt pocket pistol.  Just remember, the gun has to be small/light enough to conceal in conjunction with your normal everyday clothing.  And the pistol's job is a last resort effort to buy you enough time to escape from whatever hairy situation you have encountered.  Just my two $ pesetas worth of opinion!

Offline Shawnee Gene

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 08:50:12 AM »
I carry M-37 Smith in either a kydex or leather strong side belt holster.
"Wheel guns are Real guns!"

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 10:49:31 PM »
SA answer.
The one you KNOW will shoot.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline dwight0122

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2007, 06:15:19 PM »
All are good guns but no one mentioned the smaller Kel-tec's. The 32 is 6.6 oz and the 380 is 8.1 oz if I have my weights right. They make belt clips that attaches to the gun so you don't even need a holster. They also make 10 round mags for a longer grip. In the summer you can just drop it into your back pocket and no one will ever know, don't need a holster anyway. If I have concealment I carry a Kahr CW-9 that is light accurate and has never jammed. Ok, my two cents worth.

Offline Zeus

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2007, 05:37:48 PM »
I of course always have the P3AT in my pocket somewhere just because sometimes, I don't have the option to carry the larger guns (rarely).  For everyday carry, I carry a Les Baer Stinger 1911 in stainless.  This is the version like the older Colt CCO models.  It has a 4.25 commander length slide and the officers frame.  Very neat combination and totally reliable so far.  The accuracy is phenomenal on this pistol for me.  The shorter frame makes it easy to conceal and I just like and shoot the 1911 platform pretty well.  I've had and still have lots of handguns but this one is my favorite that I have ever owned to date and stays with me pretty much at all times.  GS

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2007, 01:20:57 AM »
I rotate between two in 45 ACP.  The first is a compact 1911 (Kimber Ultra Carry) and a snub nose S&W 625 with a scandium frame.  Why?  I love the caliber, it's a potent cartridge, both handguns are proven platforms, and both conceal well.

Offline A.J.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2007, 07:54:20 AM »
One thing you're eventually going to realize...You really need more than one CCW gun...That's not a bad thing. When it comes to getting the most horsepower in the smallest package, you can't beat the S&W "J" frames. If you go all the way and buy one with a laser, AND exposed hammer (or shrouded), you have a potent, accurate handgun capable of reaching out as far as a full-size 1911 (without a laser). That's for pocket carry. I've found if you go to an IWB, you can carry a 1911 as easy as a small kahr, so you might as well get a second ccw gun in a serious caliber too...just my 2 cents
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2007, 04:05:46 PM »
I plan to end up with at least 2 ccl guns. I have already purchaed a North American Arms 22 magnum for carry while wearing lighter clothes. I think my next gun will be either a Taurus or Rossi 357. Charlie

Offline deserthunter

• 31" Muley - Dad shot in NE Utah many years ago.
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2007, 10:29:59 PM »
I've got 2, One for summer, one for winter months.  I'm a big person and can conceal most service autos.  In the winter I carry a Berreta Model 96 loaded with Corbon 40's, usually in a inside the pants holster, same with the other a Springfield sub-compact XD with 3" barrel in 40 cal, same ammo.  I've tried every holster I can get my hands on, from shoulders to belly-band and the inside the pants seems to be the best for me.

Offline RangeMasterTX

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2007, 08:29:39 PM »
although I can't coment on this. I am 6`1" 210lbs my wife carries a kimber ultra carry II  in a custom built by me IWB crossdraw with no trouble at all  she`s 4`11" 90 lbs soaking wet in.heels.    I carry a colt officers in the same rig off duty and as a back up
Make love not war BE READY
FOR BOTH TROJAN+1911

Offline cherokee75

• Avid Poster
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2007, 03:00:33 AM »
I am a bigger guy plus I like to wear my clothes baggy anyway so I carry a full size Spg. XD .45 in a bagmaster inside the pants hip holster wiht a magazine pouch.  I just position it slightly to the rear end side of my hip and it fits very snug against my lower back and love handle area nobody seems to notice, or at least nobody has mentioned it!  when I did teh undercover drug work, I used a Glock 27 in a Fobus ankle holster or a belly band.  The ankle holster was very secure and of course requires pants, which was a requirement anyhow.  I would recommend using a full size if possible.  As far as pocket guns go, I have no experience with those. 

Also, I saw someone's post about carrying a certain caliber depending on whatever your threat level is.  You should always be prepared for the worst.  I would hope no one would know what size their assailant will be before they leave the house.

Offline Savage

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2007, 11:55:28 PM »
Cherokee75,
To some extent we all have to carry based of preceived threat level. If I were to be "Always Prepared for the Worst", I'd always be carrying an AR/AK. I find both a little hard to conceal, so I compromise a little. If I am serving a high risk felony warrant, I'll have a long gun. If I'm walking out to the mail box, I'll likely have something a bit smaller like a kel tec .380.  Most other outings dictate something in-between. All depends on dress and preceived threat level.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline cherokee75

• Avid Poster
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2007, 10:40:24 AM »
Savage, I guess my point was more to do with selection based someone's physical build as stated by someone earlier.  Sure, depending on what line of work you are in some situations have the potential for more danger but I am sure you will agree, you don't carry a gun based on the size or physcial characteristics of who you presume you may run into at a particular time.  If that were the case, I could see patrolman having a dial-a-caliber holster on their duty belts to  pick a caliber they feel suits the aggressor.  Obviously that is said somewhat tongue in cheek but my overall point is better to have too much than not enough.  I would never even consider a .22 for a carry weapon but I suppose something is better than nothing.  As far as carrying an AR/AK, obviously my comments were based on the concealed carry aspect of this thread.