Author Topic: Back from the range with the girls...... long report from a PROUD step dad  (Read 914 times)

Offline tuxdad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Well I can honestly say the girls had an awesome time with guns we took to the range(22 DA revolver by charter arms, Hi-point 380 auto, Ruger 10/22, and a marlin 1894 leveraction in 44 mag) ;D, I'm not surte who was smiling the most between the 2 of them...

To start it off, my future step daughter's name is Bri, and her best friend's name is Elise...

When we got to the range, you could see the nervousness and anticipation in their eyes when the walked in.. I reassured them that they'd be and do fine..

Did all the paperwork for them being allowed to shoot, and got them set up with eye and ear protection.. Then we were assigned a lane, and got shown how to operate the trolley(for the targets)...
We started off with the 22 revolver, where I refreshed their memories of the night before, on loading and handling it, and reminded them of the power they have in their hands once they pick up a gun(loaded or unloaded). That all went very well, and they were very attentive when I spoke to them, and reminded of how to aim with iron sights..
Just to make it easy and relaxing, I got the biggest targets available(silohouettes, hope I spelled that right ???), and only sent them out about 10-15 feet from us..

First to step up was Elise, she was a bit anxious, but she listened and followed through wqith no problems.. Her first  3 shots were spread out a good bit, but I reminded her that that they were all on the paper, which counts for a good thing with it being her first time shooting.. When she took her last 3 they were all center mass with 2 holes cutting. She went throught the emptying of the pistol and leaving the cylinder visible without a reminder, and when done, she looked at Bri, and had the biggest grin on her face and just said "WOW"...

Next was Bri's turn, I could still tell she was VERY nervous about shooting and all, and I reminded her if she didn't want to that she didn't have to do it, all she had to do was say so, but she said she was fine with it and she wanted to try.. So I walked to thru it all and made sure she took her time with loading and all, and kept talking to her as she started to aim.. Once she was comfortable with where she was aiming I told her to put her finger in the trigger guard and ssslllowwly squeeze the trigger... Guys, the first shot was dead center, and just under the "x", by about .5", then the next 6 were ALL right in the same area(not cutting holes or anything but could cover them with playing card)!!! :o When she was done, she had that same infectious grin as Elise had ;D, and the same "wow" came from her... :D

They shot the revolver a while longer, and when they were ready they asked to try the next gun, which was my 380 pistol..
Again I went thru the process, of reminding them of handling this pistol as well, and gave them each 1 bullet to load and fire(in case it scared them and they dropped the gun, we wouldn't have any AD's) at a new target... Bri stepped up first and loaded, and racked the slide and aimed then slid her finger in the guard and squeezed off ANOTHER center mass shot!! :o I can honestly say that her grin grew exponentially after that, and then Elise did the same thing, putting her shot right next to Bri's !!!! :o They shot the 380 a bunch more with shots stringing from center mass up to the neck and head, ALL with the groups being very good(in my book)... They were loving it and so was I..

Next came the rifles, this is where things too little twist but nothing we couldn't handle...
Again went thru and refeshed them on loading and what not, and moved the target out to 25 yds(the max for this range), and set them up on a bag rest in a chair, and let them look throught the scope first before loading up... That's when the twist came in, and found out that Bri was left eye dominant and rright handed, so with about 5 extra minutes of setting her up helping her aquaint herself with looking thru scope with her strong eye, they were ready to load up and shoot...
This time Elise went first and was cutting holes with the first 3 shots and with rest she just made one big hole :o, the girl was a dead eye!! :o Next was Bri's turn, and since Elise had pretty much shot out the center of the target I told her to aim for the 9 in the nine ring, which she did and wiped it out in 4 shots, but we had a problem with a couple of stovepipe rounds, which she took care of just as I showed her(can you see my chest puffing out ;))... First thing she did was to drop the mag out of the gun and lay it down on its side and racked slide back to see if she was clear, and she wasn't, so she locked the slide back and laid it down and let me clear it for her.. Once it was cleared, she loaded back up and finished shooting at where the nine was ;).. Both of the girls were great and listened and behaved awesomely !! I was and an still AM very proud of them both!! They shot the ruger a little bit longer, but Elise was eyeing up the 44 with almost a hungry look in her eye :Dlol.. So I asked if they were ready to try it.. Bri was a little hesitant, but said she'd try one shot with it..

I went thru the run again of handling it and set them up.. Bri went first and loaded and then eased the hammer back down(with the safety on I might add), and made sure she was comfy and had the rifle butt in her shoulder good, which I helped her with.. When she was ready, she pulled back the hammer, aim, then took off the safety, and slid her finger in the guard, and squeezed it off.. The look on her face was of TOTAL surprised when it went off.. It didn't hurt her but pushed her back a little in the chair... The best pat of it all is the girl got a bullseye with that shot!! I told her she did everything right, and she was supposed to be surprised when it went of... Elise came up and did the same thing putting her shot right next to Bri's with just a hair of paper in between them...
Elise wanted to shoot the 44 some more but Bri passed and said she liked shooting the little guns, as she called them.. I told her that was fine, as she did awesomely with all the guns she shot.. Once I get my hornet repaired I'll be taking them out shooting again. I have a feeling Bri's gonna fall in love with that.. ;D

They've already asked me to teach them to shoot bows once the weather warms up(maybe in the spring).. I brought them home and let the check out my bows, and it looks like I'll have to buy a couple as they had trouble pulling them back, so I'll be investing in a genesis, and a light recurve for them to shoot with and practise..

Well that's about it.. Hope you all enjoyed this as much as I did!!

Tux

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: Back from the range with the girls...... long report from a PROUD step dad
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 07:16:42 PM »

What a great outing you had...You did a good job dad...and since they had fun doing it as well...looks like you'll be spending many a day on various ranges...

Good for you all... ;D

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 07:31:42 PM »
and aahh how old are these girls????.....................j/k  :P

sounds like a great day .heres to many more
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 08:01:09 PM »
Tux, what a great day you must have had. When I was an active instructor I always found those of the feminine persuasion to be more attentive and quicker to learn than the young gentlemen students I had.

Would you mind looking at my website www.handiholic.com and let me know if I could have your permission to use your story on the site. I would edit it a bit for length and such, but would not mess with the overall feelings and experiences of it.

Cheers
Kerry

p.s. mitchell, don't step on your tongue  ;D
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline tuxdad

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 01:49:26 AM »
Tallyho, feel free to use my story, in fact I'd be honored :)!! I'll add your site to my faves... :)

Tux

Btw, the girls kept their targets to show their friends, and also want me to make them each a bullet(a dummy round of course) charm to hang on necklace... ;) Elise wants her in 44 mag, but Bri's not sure what she wants her in yet, until she shoots the hornet...

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 02:04:19 AM »
Tux

You did good buddy , now fire up the reloaded because you got them hooked .  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 03:04:54 AM »
Good job nice to see you out with your new kids. Safty is always first sounds like you & your girls did real well :)
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline tuxdad

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 03:58:58 AM »
Tux

You did good buddy , now fire up the reloaded because you got them hooked .  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

stimpy

Way ahead of you stimp!! ;D  Got a boatload of 44 brass in the tumbler already..lol ;D Next will be the hornet brass, then the 308's...

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 04:40:36 AM »
A few more trips to the range then you can tell them they need  to help load . if it works right , they will be loading your ammo before long .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 06:56:36 AM »

Btw, the girls kept their targets to show their friends, and also want me to make them each a bullet(a dummy round of course) charm to hang on necklace... ;) Elise wants her in 44 mag, but Bri's not sure what she wants her in yet, until she shoots the hornet...

Thanks Tux...

Dont's 'spose you could provide a pic of their target that I could use for the article...?
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline Badnews Bob

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 07:09:22 AM »
Awwsum I've had the privlage of teaching all of my nieces and nephews to shoot and some of thier friends and now I am starting on the grand kids, I don't know who enjoys it the most them or me.  Gotta love them smiles. ;D
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline jhudson

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 07:53:08 AM »
Good on ya, and thankyou for helping raise another generation of competent firearms users :) !

Jeff

Offline tuxdad

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 02:25:39 PM »

Thanks Tux...

Dont's 'spose you could provide a pic of their targets that I could use for the article...?

I've already asked Bri to take a pic of the target when she has a chance, so as soon as she does I'll try and post them...

Tux

Offline bigjeepman

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 01:32:43 AM »
tuxdad ...
Just a suggestion ... obviously the girls had a great time and great experience because you shared a love of yours for firearms. That is a very good thing. I have read this thread several times and started thinking what can tuxdad do to keep the interest over the long run. Well, I reload and I keep records of each load in a log book that I bought from Sinclair International several years ago. I also keep a photo album of targets with different loads. This has proven very helpful to me as it is a visual aid to see my groups weeks, months, and now years down the road. I write info on the target next to the group and then cut it off the large target paper to fit. The targets can also show progress in marksmanship when shooting without a rest. Maybe the girls would like helping with the target album. Just an idea ...
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline tuxdad

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 03:45:22 AM »
Sounds like a great idea !! I already do that with my reloading, and I talked it over with my fiance.. She thinks it'd be good but thinks I should wait until I get my hornet fixed and let Bri shoot that, and see where it goes.. If she likes I'll start showing her how maybe reload, and what not... I'm already sure that Elise would and is TOTALLY in love with my 44 ;), so that'll be her gun of choice for shooting when she comes to visit, so if she wants I'll show her how to reload and all also...

Thanks for the idea jeepman ;)...  If things go as well as it did at the range, with the bows I have a feeling I'll be a busy fella this spring and summer... :D I doubt they'd want to go hunting, but thats ok with me... That's not taking hiking out of the picture tho...lol

Tux

Offline SmokyMtnSmoke

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2007, 04:36:18 AM »
Great Story! And great getting them involved in the shooting sports as their future husbands Will appreciate have a partner on the range. Keep up the good work.

Just a word of caution on those dummy rounds for necklaces, make sure they DO NOT wear them to school! I'd had to see them on the news being punished for a crazy school policy. I grew up in a time when common scense ruled and our levered long guns hung in the gun rack of our truck windows in the school parking lot

Offline Badnews Bob

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2007, 04:51:53 AM »
I've got a little game I play with the kids and friends when they come over, Its called Stop the Army of Darkness from invadeing, I save tin cans and line them up at diffrent range on the bank near my house, we unlimber out the .22s and shoot till there all knocked over the bank. They love the name and I think its a good training aid to have the cans set up at diffrent ranges, Good fun and there learning with out relizeing it sometimes. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline tuxdad

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2007, 07:47:47 AM »
Great Story! And great getting them involved in the shooting sports as their future husbands Will appreciate have a partner on the range. Keep up the good work.

Just a word of caution on those dummy rounds for necklaces, make sure they DO NOT wear them to school! I'd had to see them on the news being punished for a crazy school policy. I grew up in a time when common scense ruled and our levered long guns hung in the gun rack of our truck windows in the school parking lot

Roger that on the dummy rounds Smoky, and I can relate to the rifles in the back window of trucks... In fact I still see them once in a while up here at my job, as a lot of guys are hunters, and during hunting season they come straight from the woods to work pretty much..