Author Topic: Hows the shootin' weather?  (Read 1029 times)

Offline dubber123

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Hows the shootin' weather?
« on: February 05, 2007, 05:32:55 AM »
I've got the whole day off from work, tons of ammo loaded, and it's -1 and 25 mph winds.  Nice and sunny though.....

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Hows the shootin' weather?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 06:02:30 AM »
Same here , don't mind winter just hate cold .  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 06:05:41 AM »
I can shoot ok at 20 degrees, 0 or below is different.  By the time I make a couple trips to the target board, I can't feel my fingers too well.  Stupid wind doesn't help either.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 06:16:27 AM »
Weather man said that this cold snap will last about a week , then its gona warm up to about 25 , i'll shoot then , for now i can shoot 22 shorts in the basement . and load some more ammo .  ;D

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 06:22:06 AM »
Stepped out on the front porch and ran 5 .475's through my pistol to see if it still kicks.  It does. It seemed like it had warmed up a little, but 10 minutes and a few gusts of wind, and here I am again.

Offline Docsmith45

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 07:03:26 AM »
Here in Eastern Nebraska, it's still cold.  Single digits with some breeze.  Won't get to the range but am going to shoot in the VFW color guard for a deceased veteran.  Not fun but very rewarding.  Coldmold and will suffer a little cold for a fallen comerade.

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 07:14:41 AM »
Your thanks all the way from VT. for doing that for a veteran.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 08:01:13 AM »
Yep, sure hate this cold weather.   It's a nippy 37o out side right now where I am in NC. And tonight's low is expected to be a darn right chilly 220.  Gee I sure miss those New England winters... NOT!!!  ;D
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 08:05:17 AM »
It is colder than a witch's lunchbox here and we are not used to this. :D  I just looked at the long range forcast and there is little break in sight.
RJ

Offline popgun

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 08:23:01 AM »
Want cold? I've got it to give away. At 8AM my thermometer sat at -30F. It has warmed up to -5,but still not what I'd call shooting weather. Got some .223 loads waiting for the Ultra, but that will have to wait. In the meantime I can give the .177 Benjamin a couple pumps and shoot across the basement.

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 08:30:23 AM »
Popgun, now you know how I felt when Brett said he had 37 degrees!  Where are you at? Alaska?

Offline popgun

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 08:33:30 AM »
Forgot to mention, this is in NW Minnesota. A couple school districts closed for the day and some more started two hours late.

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 08:58:48 AM »
Popgun, the coldest we've had here recently was -20, and that was 2 years ago, I can honestly say -30 doesn't interest me in the least!

Offline bigchuckie

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 10:04:27 AM »
Too friggn cold and windy -20 with the windchill air temp is about 10
, if god didnt want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2007, 10:21:21 AM »
Last night it went down to -3 degrees and todays high is 10 degrees.I am a carpenter and it is to cold to work today because you can't keep the air compresser from freezing up.We won't work tomorrow either because of the cold.The coldest it has ever been here is -22 about 15 years ago and that is the year I moved here from Miami after living in Florida for 12 years.I thought I was going freeze to deat that winter.I lived in a little 50 foot trailer with hardly any insulation in the walls and all I had to heat the place was an electric heater and a small kerosene heater.I had them both going wide open and you could still your breath.I met my wife that winter and I fully believe she may have saved my life.
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2007, 11:04:55 AM »
Dalescarpentry, my first day of carpentry was 2 years ago, and on the first or second day, I fell throught thin ice on the jobsite, and soaked myself from the waist down.  This was at about 8 a.m.  I had to work until 5:30 or so outdoors, because I rode to the jobsite with the boss.  Temp during the day never got above -9 degrees.  Talk about questioning your career choices!

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2007, 01:43:34 PM »
It was 25 at sunup this morning with no wind. I got to the range at 11 o'clock and it was 52. It was 68 when I left about 4 o'clock. We had a very light breeze all day which is unusual. 10 to 15 mph is a calm day around here. Got in some good shooting.

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2007, 02:16:32 PM »
Oldandslow, you won't make any friends talking about weather like that!  I won't likely see weather like that for about 4 more months!  Enjoy!

Offline tuxdad

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2007, 02:30:59 PM »
Was 6 degrees, with a wind chill of -14... Right now it's 7 with a wind chill of -6...

Too dang cold for human or critter !!

Offline Bob_VT

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2007, 03:06:19 PM »
This just is not outdoor shooting weather here in VT  Between the wind and the cold it is great reloading weather. Walking downrange on ice and snow is not great either. Our forecast "Partly cloudy, with a low around -2. Wind chill values between -11 and -18. West wind between 7 and 9 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. "   Like I said good reloading weather.  Actually the wife enjoys this weather.....  all those small inside projects get done too.
My other passion is Boating!! http://forums.iboats.com/index.php?referrerid=1642 Find me there with the same ID.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2007, 03:32:15 PM »
Single digits and quite "breezy" here on sunny Cape Cod and plenty of parking places at the beach. It's been about 5 years since I have done the polar bear thing and gone swimming on new years day and I am glad I did not have to jump in today. The funny thing is, all over the news is some meeting and statements about global warming  ???. Oh well I'll hopefully get up north to Maine to do some coyote hunting in a couple of weeks, it's never to cold for that, some days are colder than others that all. I hope there is enough wood left for the woodstove at camp, thats the main, ond only, heat source....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2007, 04:02:51 PM »
MSP, that coyote hunting thing is what I want to get into, I have a new peashooter just for that purpose.  I'm trying to get in with a few local guys that are good at the baiting/calling thing.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2007, 04:58:34 PM »
where are you located dubber123? I have been talking with a buddy from Maine, his camp is on a lake and we are discussing getting a road kill from a warden or some large carcass from a butcher shop or taxidermist, cutting a hole in the ice 100-150 yards out from his camp and placing the "bait" half in the hole so it freezes in position. We could sit in his camp watching on moonlit nights and shoot right from the deck overlooking the lake. We hunt together when I get up there and usually call with no bailt with some success. He does have a moving decoy he made up and we each have manual and electronic calls we made up but he did just buy a "store bought" call with a remote which ahould be nice. He also just bought a Savage Model 24, a .223 over a 12 gauge with synthetic stocks which he is going to try as his primary coyote gun for a while. He likes the idea of being ready for a long or close shot at a moments notice....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Joel

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2007, 05:46:18 PM »
Made it up to +3 today; right now its a balmy -12 here in the Scotia Barrens of Central PA.  Fine by me actually.  Gave me a chance to check out my new Back Packing stove in relatively extreme temps.  Worked fine....Coleman Fyrestorm Ti.  Not wanting to go OT here.

Offline northjdr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2007, 08:38:52 PM »
IT's so cold in Minnesota, all the attorneys had their hands in their own pockets.
Inches make champions.

Vince Lombardi

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2007, 09:15:42 PM »
Yep,

Cold everywhere, it is 0 right now and still supposed to get colder tonight. Great reloading weather, I trimmed and resized 500 .223 this weekend, just got another 500 to go..... My sister called and complained that it was in the 60's where she was, I told her I would trade her, she isn't buying it!

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline flitz

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2007, 12:05:27 AM »
wind chill minus 25to45.schools closed.just trying to stay warm.this is why
they call green bay the frozen tundra
TO THE HUNT

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2007, 12:50:50 AM »
sucks here  what + 5 yesterday lookin at - 9 now , this aint shooting weather  its reloading weather, been loadin cowboy  loads , trap loads and plinkers , got  varmint loads pretty much covered , gotto get some 44mags forthe barrel i got off nixter few weeks back and got 357max loaded up so when she breaks ill be makin a break somewhere , my basement is weated  stays fairly decent, bout 10 degree's cooler then the house  so i got one of them propane mister heaters  that mount on top of a propane tank , i light it up sit it like 3feet behind me and stay toasty all evening  reloading,  somenights i hateto leave it hahahah

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2007, 12:59:21 AM »
MSP Ret, I'm in southern Vt.  There are a coupe fellows locally that have about the same setup for baiting.  They have a rest built right in the camp window.

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2007, 01:51:26 AM »
About 3 degrees here now with windchill temp well below  0 . It's going to stay this way for about another week. Phoned in an order to cabelas and have a scope mount coming from H&R for the 45-70 so I'll have something to play with.While I had H&R on the phone I asked about the Barrel program  and was told they were about 6-8 weeks behind still but should be back to normal by mid March.Was also told that their supplier of laminate stocks had gotten behind also, but the order should be arriving soon.Both cinnimon and camo.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"