Author Topic: .308 FMJ Flat Point 150 grain bullets?  (Read 2584 times)

Offline lgm270

• Trade Count: (1)
.308 FMJ Flat Point 150 grain bullets?
« on: February 05, 2007, 06:23:18 AM »
Is it possible to  make FMJ bullets?

I want .308" flat point FMJ's in 150 or 170 grain weights. 

Can it be done?  How tough would it be? 

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
Re: .308 FMJ Flat Point 150 grain bullets?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 08:42:42 AM »
It is possible and simple to make the bullets you want providing the swager has the proper length of jackets ( with a relitively thin heal) and a flat nose .308 point foming die. A real world problem is that it may be difficult to find someone with a FP nose die in that caliber. Usually, for a 30-30 or other tube mag rifles, a simple open tip ( exposed lead) Round Nose bullet is used. Currently  die makers are taking 8-14 months to make a die. If you would settle for a TC nose shape ( truncated Cone... that shape has a very small flat meplat), I think Corbin Company may have one in stock, or they did last month. 8)

Offline lgm270

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 09:21:38 AM »
Thanks for your reply. I know nothing of swaging.  I was particularly interested in a FMJ bullet with no lead exposed at the tip.  I assumed the jacket would be drawn over the core (if that's how it's done) from the nose to the heel of the bullet.   How much would one of those special dies cost? 

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 03:26:24 PM »
 Most bullet die makers produce the core seating and point forming dies as a set. The seating die is about 80% of the value of the point forming die due to production requirements. While a FN point forming die isn't a special item ( there's not many around as there's few requests for FN .308 bullets), it's cost would be around $150, and that is only a fraction of the cost to  swage just one type/caliber of bullet. You will need to get a 3 die set as a minimum, and then there's the press ( you will need a swaging press as a reloading press just isn't up to swaging 30 cal FN jacketed bullets), basic cores, jackets and so forth to consider. As a rule of thumb, you would need about $800 to start swaging one type/caliber of full jacketed bullet. Later, you can add additional capability at about $500 per bullet type.  I think you will learn a lot on this subject by reading various threads on this board.
  The method of making a FMJ bullet is to swage a lead core into a jacket using a core swage die, and then place that jacketed core, which is a cylindar at this time, into a Point forming die. Point forming dies have fixed shapes as to the nose shape, but given that, you can produce bullets over a wide range of weights and/or jacket  thicknesses. You can even make lead tip, open tip or FMJ bullets using a single PF die. To make a FMJ, you first run the cylindar cored jacket part way into the PF die to start to enclose the open end of the jacket. Then you eject the cored jacket, turn it around and send the closed end of the jacket into the PF die to fully form the FMJ nose as well as turn the end of the open end of the javcket, whch you started to form on the 1st operation, in on itself. FMJ pullets have exposed lead at their base. There are other ways to make FMJ bullets and this is only one method... possibly the easiest and least expensive, but not necessarily the best. 8)

Offline lgm270

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 02:08:11 AM »
talon:  Thank you for your very informative and detailed response.  You have been very helpful.

Offline lgm270

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 02:10:16 AM »

talon:  Thank you for your very informative and detailed response.  You have been very helpful.

Is it possible for someone who is already "into" bullet swaging to assist me with this project?  I would be willing to pay for the special dies and the components to be used.  I'm not really sufficiently interested in bullet swaging that I want to get "into" it and buy all the equipment.  I do think the idea I'm working on may be of interest to others as well as myself.

Offline iiranger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
GOOD INFO and ...
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 06:36:50 AM »
Mr. Corbin, Dave has his books, no pictures, for download at swage.com, corbins.com, bulletswage.com... Couple of the books cover this in great detail if you want deeper information. His brother Richard is working on his book, chapters at rceco.com, free.

b). for what caliber? On the "CHEEP" there are dies for use in reloading presses, the large, heavy reloading presses like the Rockchucker --not a LEE hand press, Ch4d.com has one type in .308--#101 or #105, I don't remember. I am guessing that it might be able to do a BLUNT 150 grain bullet with the jacket reversed, thin jacket, and you would have your projectile. Good enough for the average .30/30... Probably not stand up to a .300 Mag... little puny for ole .30/'06.  [Jack O'Connor used to write about, during the dark days of WW II (for handloaders--everything was going over seas...) using .30 Lugar bullets in the '06 on varmints. FMJ and not very satisfactory, but if you are desparate...]

c). D. Corbin at above addresses has a list of bullet makers who will make anything you will pay for. If you can find on near you, might knock things out in a couple hours. Needless to say, the market, mainly, is for pointed bullets and soft points. For what you want, it is a matter of shoving the jacket with core seated into the die backwards. You will have an open base, like the FMJ military bullets. How much you need it crimped shut is a good question. The other option is to fill the opening with a gasket material... cardboard has been used...

Yes, it can be done. Not too difficult if you have the right tools. luck. happy trails.

Offline Quan Toi

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 09:36:49 AM »
LMG270,
     Where do you live and how many bullets are you interested in. I've made them before and it's a pain in the Hillary. But it can be done. Please advise.
Quan Toi

Offline rbt50

• Trade Count: (0)
    • www.copperheadcustomswaging.com
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 10:57:14 AM »

Is it possible for someone who is already "into" bullet swaging to assist me with this project?  I would be willing to pay for the special dies and the components to be used.  I'm not really sufficiently interested in bullet swaging that I want to get "into" it and buy all the equipment.  I do think the idea I'm working on may be of interest to others as well as myself.

yes i can help you if you want ,just let me know.     copperhead custom swaging