Author Topic: CVA Optima Elite  (Read 6172 times)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
CVA Optima Elite
« on: February 05, 2007, 02:05:11 PM »
TGS has some in stock, including 2 models in 45 Colt!!

Tim

http://thegunsource.com/store/item.aspx?PID=62905

CORRECTION: This isn't a 45 Colt, it's a 45 cal muzzleloader! :-\

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
Re: CVA Optima Elite
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 03:21:51 PM »
I couldn't find them Quick.Mac want's some pictures posted,but the batteries or down on my camera and I've got them on charge.Well as most of you know,I posted that my 243 was shooting the 100 gr. Corlokts at a little less than 1/2" at 54 yds.with a not so steady rest.I tested the 80 gr.corlokts the next day and they were about the same.So I took the 25 yr. old Redfield off (that had been on my 300 Wby.for many,many shots)and replaced it with a 6X24X44 target scope and things really improved
Well I finally found my rear sand bag,and shot a 3 shot group with 70gr.bullets. They all went into the same hole.Then it was time for me to go hog hunting(3 pm.)so I stopped on a pipeline and set the target up for a little over 100 yd. shot(126 lazered yds.) it punched the paper exactly 2" high and the center was 1 1/2" left. The 2 shot group measured 1.2" but I also had a 15 to 20 gusty mile per hour crosswind.Both bullets hit the crossline on the target which would give about 1 to 2 tenths spread vertical and 1.2 horiizaonal spread. The load was a 70 gr. Speer and 46.3 grs of IMR 4350,which is 2 or 3 grs. above max in some books and .7 gr. below max in my old lyman book.The primer's showed no sign whatsoever of flatning and there was no sign's anywhere on the case. I also shot those 126 yd. shots of the hood of my Blazer.
Is there someone out there that can tell me why the factory loads and the hand loads are not flatning the primer's even a little bit.I've never seen this before. Mac seem's to think it's the tight chamber's.(Alright Fred M what's your opinion?)
Judgeing by the way the 70's shot with the rear bag in place (with and without the bag) The cheap factory Rem.corlokts are going to go well under 1" now.The scope on 24 pr. show'ed me exactly how much I was moving and the rear bag solved that problem.
Also there was very very little muzzle lift while shooting,it moved almost strait back to my shoulder.Very comfortable to shoot.I have about 100 rds. through it now and it's still very tight. After about 40 rds. I cleaned it with Hoppe's no. 9 ,letting it set for about 15 min.and after I got all the Hoppe's out (4 patch's ) the fifth came out perfectly clean. The bore has a very smooth finish and there's no need for Flitzing it.
I'll give it a run through the chron when and if I stop hunting with it long enough. (I'm about to give Mac a heart attack by not working up some 100 gr. partitions and Rel. 22) But I'm going to try a 200 yd. neck shot on a hog first.
Okay Bamasnyper its your turn.    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 04:31:58 PM »

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 04:43:27 PM »
Here's some pics from the CVA website.

Tim
http://cva.com/products/rifle_optelite_center.htm

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 07:58:15 AM »
So I take it that all of their rifle barrels are equipped with open sights and drill and tapped?
These are looking better and better....

-Aaron

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 09:55:28 AM »
It sure looks that way, I couldn't find a pic of one with a scope, although they have a pic of their scope base and rings in the catalog, looks just like a Warne Encore base and single screw rings.

Tim

http://cva.com/docs/cva_catalog_2007.pdf

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 10:27:48 AM »
The base's are very thick looking and attach with 4 screws. The rings look like Warne's to me and are not quick detachable. Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 07:30:06 AM »
I had Sportsmans Warehouse check on prices, they charge shipping on special order guns which the Optima Elite is, they don't stock it at all, $405 shipped + tax for the 7mm-08!!! ::)

Tim

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 08:42:10 AM »
$405 shipped for the 7mm-08!!!

I'd ask them if they were gonna kiss me first.  ;D
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline TrenchMud

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 08:49:00 AM »
How different is the receiver from the Optima ? I have never seen an elite.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 09:00:29 AM »
$405 shipped for the 7mm-08!!!

I'd ask them if they were gonna kiss me first.  ;D

I felt like telling him they could kiss a part of me!!! :o

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 03:11:40 PM »
I don't know if it is the same you have been talking about. Whittaker Guns show a CVA Optima Elite 7mm-08 in the used gun section for 249.00.
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 06:10:42 AM »
So I take it that all of their rifle barrels are equipped with open sights and drill and tapped?

-Aaron

The complete rifles come with the open sites...and they are drilled and tapped for the bases...I found out...that the accessory barrels do not come with any sites or scope rails...You can order them from CVA though..The rings & base combo's cost $29.95...and the 1pc base cost $12.95...or $15.95 for the 2 camo types ...The rings separate are $16.95 blue or silver...and $26.95 for the 2 camo types... and... for an extra $11.95...you can make their stanard rings into the Quick Release type for blue or silver...or $13.95 for both camo types available...Nice options..and reasonable..http://www.durasight.com/z2_alloy/scope_rings.html

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 08:36:00 AM »

-Aaron

The complete rifles come with the open sites...and they are drilled and tapped for the bases...I found out...that the accessory barrels do not come with any sites or scope rails.......
Mac

Interesting.  I like the options being made here.
I did notice that your 308 barrel was clean, without sights.  Looks good by the way.

Offline bigjeepman

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 02:38:58 PM »
I went to Whittaker Guns this afternoon to see what was going to stir my interest for my next firearm. They had quite a few Elites in stock and I must say I came away impressed. I thought they shouldered really well and seemed very balanced. I thought the Real Tree camo looked really good but I equally liked the black fibergrip. They had three combos in stock along with a few centerfires. They probably had at least a dozen in stock including the muzzle loaders. I just might go with one when I go back next week.
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 07:38:06 PM »
I went to Whittaker Guns this afternoon to see what was going to stir my interest for my next firearm. They had quite a few Elites in stock and I must say I came away impressed. I thought they shouldered really well and seemed very balanced. I thought the Real Tree camo looked really good but I equally liked the black fibergrip. They had three combos in stock along with a few centerfires. They probably had at least a dozen in stock including the muzzle loaders. I just might go with one when I go back next week.

I think you'll be well pleased with one of the combo's...I know I am pleased with mine...even though it wasn't a combo when I bought it...but with multiple barrels and the street price on them...they are going to be the ones to get..

Mac

Offline jmckinley

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 07:13:07 AM »
Quick after handling the Elite it is on my list of must have rilfes and sure will fit nicely with my other front stuffers. Plus a 300Win barrlel will sure make a nice elk rifle as well. I'll have one before the summer is ou. Where can I get the extra barrels? Jess
Jess

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 07:18:34 AM »
I just bought a used 7mm-08 from Whittakers for $269 shipped, will be looking for a thumbhole stock for it most likely, but I'll give it a shot ;D with the syn "ugly" stock first to see if I can warm up to it!! :D

Tim

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2007, 07:22:39 AM »

Offline bigjeepman

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007, 07:52:16 AM »
quick ...

I was holding that very rifle yesterday when I was at Whittakers. This is a nice family owned gunshop that does big business for this area. I almost traded for that rifle yesterday as I have a .300wsm model 70 that I just really have no use for anymore. I think you will be pleased with what you get as it looked pretty good to me. I am getting swayed here a little toward the Elites. I might go for a combo ... just not sure. Whittakers is about 65 miles from my house so I'll be going back next week to check it all out again.

They also have a pretty good selection of Handi's including a BC Classic and a Golden Buffalo BC in 45/70. The BC was only $321.00 and the Golden BC I think was $430.00. I was looking at lever actions, Tikkas, Handi's, and the Elites. They have a great inventory of handguns and knives also.
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2007, 08:12:03 AM »
Thanks bjm, that's great news!!  ;) I had checked their new gun inventory before, but they didn't list any CVAs, after you mentioned being there yesterday, I checked last night and they had a used one and also a new one or 2 in the blackpowder listing including a .30-06, called this am, and bought the 7mm-08. ;D A new one here at the only source I've found for them so far is well over $400 for the same model. :-\

Tim

Offline bigjeepman

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2007, 09:00:36 AM »
Tim ...

Their website doesn't list a tenth of what they have. Someone told me a couple of weeks ago, their inventory was like 1.5 million. If you look at the date their website was last updated, it is usually months behind. I have another friend who has a much smaller gunshop but a very nice one. I usually buy from him but his prices do not compete very well with Whittakers. Whittakers would have all of my business if it wasn't for that but friendship runs deep in my world.

The best thing to do would be to call and just tell them what you are looking for. If you ever need me to go take a look for you, I'd be happy to.
5 Rules for Happiness

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2007, 09:03:22 AM »
Did ya happen to notice if they have the Optima Elite barrels there?? If so, I'll give em another call and see if they have a .300Win Mag later when it comes out.

thx,

Tim

Offline bigjeepman

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2007, 09:12:17 AM »
I did not see any individual barrels for the Elite and I did not ask. The only barrels I saw were shotgun barrels though they had forearms for the Elites if someone needed one. I looked at the TC Pro Hunter and it is nice but not at that price. I like the thumbhole stock too. I got a late start yesterday for Whittakers or I would have had more time to look.
5 Rules for Happiness

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2007, 09:36:32 AM »
Thanks! ;) I forgot to mention, was gonna, but ::)....Whittakers has a tremendously good reputation at RFC, that's where I first learned of them, almost bought my CZ452 American 17hmr from them about 3yrs ago, but just happened to find one locally, or I would have.

Tim

http://whittakerguns.com/

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2007, 12:00:44 PM »
BJM is right about Whittakers the place is for me is like a kid going into a candy store. The web site seems to be farley updaded on the used guns, but if you realey want to know what they have is to pick the phone up and call. I just talked to them today about a gun and here I am stuck in a wheel cheir for at least two more mo. maybe three.
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline bigjeepman

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2007, 01:42:52 PM »
Tim ...

I bought that same CZ 17HMR (beautiful wood) for my son for Christmas a few years back. That is one fine rifle. I have the Marlin 17V and I like it okay but that CZ shoots circle around it.
5 Rules for Happiness

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2007, 01:57:54 PM »
I have two Marlins, a 917V and a 917VS, both wearing 6-20x40 Bushnell Scopechiefs, Rifle Basics triggers and laminated stocks, they hold their own against the CZ452, but the action of the CZ is superb in comparison, wood is just nice, but I like the lams too. The CZ wears an AS adjustable sear and Busnell Elite 4200 4-16x40, and is pillar bedded.

Tim

Offline bigjeepman

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2007, 04:25:37 PM »
Questions about the Elites ...

The Elites have a different forearm for the MZL and the centerfires?
Any Elite barrel (mzl, shotgun, or centerfire) will fit on an Elite receiver?
Are thumbhole stocks available in the combos? Or do you have to buy a MZL and then buy a centerfire barrel for it?

Sorry, but now my interest is peaking?

Tim ... you have some nice 17HMR's there? Wow!
5 Rules for Happiness

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2007, 05:24:05 PM »
Thanks!! I like em!!! ;D

I think I know the answers to all those questions, but Mac knows more and he's talked to the folks that know all the specifics, so I'll leave it for him later when he gets home from work ;).

Tim