Author Topic: CVA Optima Elite  (Read 6168 times)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: CVA Optima Elite
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2007, 08:36:58 PM »
Questions about the Elites ...

The Elites have a different forearm for the MZL and the centerfires?
Any Elite barrel (mzl, shotgun, or centerfire) will fit on an Elite receiver?
Are thumbhole stocks available in the combos? Or do you have to buy a MZL and then buy a centerfire barrel for it?

Sorry, but now my interest is peaking?

Tim ... you have some nice 17HMR's there? Wow!

To answer your questions...

Yes...the fore arms are different..the regular rifle fore arm..doesn't have the cut out for the ram rod and retainer inside..

Yes...the barrels for all Elites are fully interchangeable with the same super tight tolerances..MZ to center fire..blued to stainless..

Yes..the thumb hole stocks are available for all models and combo's...The laminate version is still being perfected...and will be available later on..

I fully understand your curiosity...I too was very curious...I took one apart in the store..and put it back together...Shouldered it..and felt the weight in between my hands as it should be...Heard the lock up...and I new right then and there I was going to own one...They are natural pointers...and I can't hardly wait till I have a 12ga & 20 ga to go hunting with ...plus all the other barrels that is available now..and those coming out very soon...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline bigjeepman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2007, 03:12:41 AM »
Thanks Mac ...

I did everything you did in the gunshop except take one apart. That is pretty cool. I, too, feel that it's weight is just right and it balances perfect for me and I am talking about everyone I tried. I haven't owned a mzl for 25 years or since I bought one of those Hawken 50 cal kits and put it together. Tim's reference to "browning a barrel" in another forum here at GBO's brought back those memories. I do not know a thing about modern mzl but I still like the idea of a combo 50 cal mzl and a 7mm-08 in a thumbhole stock ... wow. If the rifles are capable of shooting sub-MOA, then I would be in heaven. I even liked the sling that came with them and for me that is not normal as I do not care for slings too much.

I have a .300wsm Win Model 70 Super Shadow that I am going to sale or trade. I'll then get an Elite setup. I was going to get my first 7mm-08 in a Tikka T3 but that can wait.
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2007, 05:32:22 AM »

I don't think your going to be very pleased with the Elites...Digger has been getting some pretty good groups with his 243 & 30-06 with a few hand loads thru his..and I've gotten a couple dynamite groups with my 243 with just firing 2 factory loads thru it...I do hope to get out when the wind isn't at near hurricane force and try some good hand loads...I shot 1/2 box of the 55 grain Winchester Supreme SBT's...they did ok...nothing to write home about...and certainly would have dropped any varmint I hit with it..but with the winds as high as it was..It really moved that bullet around...and my rifle just may not like them either...so..it will be worth a try for handloading them and see...The other factory load I shot was Remington's higher priced ammo...the Premier 95grain AccuTip..I got a couple excellent 3 shot groups...which isn't indicative of the overall performance of the barrel...but it sure does show the potential of it..when the conditions are favorable...and I will be shooting it again with a few different loads..

So... I can honestly say they are worth the money.....since this is straight out of the box performance...and a scope I really don't care for the more I shoot it....The 50 cal barrel is simply awesome with the Barnes TMZ bullets...It's going to be fun working up loads again with out all the hassle of tuning the rifle...and I will be putting some good glass on it to shoot with...the thick cross hair of the Simmons Atec I had on the 243 barrel just don't cut it for me....and these rifles are capable of shooting great if you can do your part..even in the wind....These rifles begs for good optics on them...and I intend to oblige them by doing just that...

Mac

Offline bigjeepman

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2007, 06:03:28 AM »
I am convinced about the Elites. I thank all of you for your responses and pictures.

Mac ...
The .243 is one of my favorite calibers and the one I use for coyote hunting. I liked the consistency of your groups under any conditions ... especially windy ones. I use the 85gr Sierra BTHP in my Ruger M77 Mark II. I think I will go with the 7mm-08 for the Elite along with the 50cal mzl if I get the combo. I'll try the Barnes TMZ bullets first. I'll be asking more questions after the trade.

Thanks again...
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2007, 06:12:06 AM »
Nice groups and shooting Mac, ya can't ask for any better than that for out-of-the box accuracy for any rifle, and under those conditions, that's fantastic!! ;)

thx,

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline kodiakemt

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2007, 08:32:12 AM »
Quick,

I know that you are a big handi fan, so which do you like better? CVA or Handi?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2007, 08:50:50 AM »
I don't have a CVA yet, just bought a used one tho, won't have it for a week. From Mac's and Digger's experience, the CVA sounds like a good deal if you can get one for what they paid. The CVA dealer network is a bit spotty at this time, no one here sells the Optima Elite, but Handis are common, considering the diifference in price locally here at this time which is almost double the cost of a Handi, the Handi can be a pretty good buy usually, but may require some work to get the most out of it, but not always. I can mail order a new OE without a scope rail for about $320 w/ shipping and FFL, a Handi purchased locally is $220 which comes with a scope rail.

FWIW,  I don't plan on selling any of my Handis if that counts for anything, I just made a deal on another SB2 Handi frame today, I have one centefire barrel without a home!! ;D I also plan on ordering a .444 Marlin Handi as soon as my dealer's supplier gets one in stock, that will make #28!!  ;)

Tim

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2007, 11:08:52 AM »
Quick,

I know that you are a big handi fan, so which do you like better? CVA or Handi?

Oh boy, I see a TC Encore vs H&R Handi rifle like thread in the making :o
http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,74391.0.html

I won't get rid of my Handis but I really want to give these Elites a try. The barrels seem to be of top quality, and the fit and tolerances seem to be excellent from all I hear. I can't locate one around here to check out though :-[ :'( Hey Tim where are you finding that price at?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2007, 12:05:00 PM »
On the OE? Bud's for $282 plus shipping and FFL.....

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/36_218

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2007, 05:15:41 PM »
I ordered a Durasight 1-pc base today, Grafs and Midway both have it for less than $11, but Grafs shipping is only $3.95, guess who I ordered it from!!

Tim

http://www.grafs.com/grafs/search/product/87702

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=571886

Offline myarmor

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2007, 05:53:44 PM »
On the OE? Bud's for $282 plus shipping and FFL.....

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/36_218

Sorry Tim, I got in a rush :P
$280 seems reasonable. I got to locate one around here some where...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2007, 06:23:40 PM »
That's what I was hoping for, a local source, but it didn't happen. :-\

Tim

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2007, 06:47:41 PM »

From Mac's and Digger's experience, the CVA sounds like a good deal if you can get one for what they paid.

Trust me...it is a good deal for what I paid ;D ;D ;D

And it is a good deal even if your paying $300 for them...When folks start realizing that...look for the prices to start going up...The old Supply & Demand thing...my advice is to get one before they do go up in price...

Mac

Offline kodiakemt

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2007, 04:29:04 AM »
[/quote]

No fear there. I would never pay the price for a TC, when CVA and Handi are around. I really like the multi barrle thing and just wanted to see the difference. I the handi prices but I like CVA for not having to send the frame in for a barrel fit. Trying to get all the info I can before plopping down some money.

Offline myarmor

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2007, 06:55:01 AM »

No fear there. I would never pay the price for a TC, when CVA and Handi are around. I really like the multi barrle thing and just wanted to see the difference. I the handi prices but I like CVA for not having to send the frame in for a barrel fit. Trying to get all the info I can before plopping down some money.
[/quote]

J/K with ya ;D
I am kinda in the same boat as well. Though the quality work they put into the barrels seem to be what's really swaying me. I hope in time CVA can have a library of calibers as NEF/H&R does, or at least close.

Offline kodiakemt

« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2007, 10:59:06 AM »
Well considering the elite is pretty new they are adding new ones pretty quickly. When I first saw it on the website last year, there was only 4 or 5 cal. They have grown in numbers!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2007, 06:41:00 PM »
 ;)

I am kinda in the same boat as well. Though the quality work they put into the barrels seem to be what's really swaying me. I hope in time CVA can have a library of calibers as NEF/H&R does, or at least close.

In time provided sales stay steady...they will have what the Encores have for barrel selection... ;) They are new...with just 13,000 put out in the first year...Plus having to scraped all of those from the 1st shipment...even though they all were in SAMMI spec's...they weren't up to Ed Shilens specifications.That put them back a spell...and they are still playing catch up...The are are track for the new calibers coming out in a month or so...

Mac

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2007, 01:09:29 PM »
Been doing alot of reading. I might just have to get one. I wonder if they can shoot sub moa.
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2007, 07:08:44 PM »

Yup...they have great potential...and I am quite sure they will shoot as good if not better than most other single shots..http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,111017.msg1098349143.html#msg1098349143

Even the Muzzle loaders...not bad for a newbie ;)...http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,112267.0.html

Mac

Offline kodiakemt

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2007, 09:10:06 AM »
Has any one put a Bipod on one yet?

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2007, 07:53:01 PM »

Hmmm...not yet...but it should be easy enough to do...

Mac

Offline oldrookie

• Avid Poster
Re: CVA Optima Elite / bipod
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2007, 08:57:50 AM »
Interesting someone would bring the subject of a bipod up. I was thinking about that last night. What is everyone's preference, Harris in 6-9"?

Offline myarmor

« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2007, 09:14:35 AM »
I am curious how well they shoot off Bi-Pods as well. If and when anyone tries it out, please post back your results.

Sense we are asking questions, can someone give me an idea of the general thickness of the Begera barrels from the muzzle? General comparison you know ;D

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2007, 09:29:56 AM »
The muzzle dia. on mine is .740" . I did try a bipod on mine but I had to use a wood screw in swivel stud,and it came loose after a few shots. The sling holder will not accept a bipod. When I find the proper nut and washer for the other kind of stud,I'm going to mount 2 of them.  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline myarmor

« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2007, 10:35:03 AM »
Hey thanks for the info Digger. And congrats on the -06. Sounds like you have a shooter there. I look forward to hearing more about how the Bi-Pods work for you as well.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2007, 10:35:56 AM »
If I ever get a CF forend for mine and make a trip to the range, I'll try a Harris, I tried to order the $23 forend from Bud's, shipping came to $16, so I didn't! :'(

Tim

Offline oldrookie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2007, 12:29:52 PM »
If I ever get a CF forend for mine and make a trip to the range, I'll try a Harris, I tried to order the $23 forend from Bud's, shipping came to $16, so I didn't! :'(

Tim

Hey Tim, dont know much about the bipods. Is the only way to mount them by using the same nut as the sling swivel? Not sure if I am fired up about that idea.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2007, 02:02:44 PM »
They're made to mount on the sling stud, they have 2 claws the fit inside the stud, then as you tighten the bipod, it forces the claws to clamp on the stud. The Shooter's Ridge bipod that Walmart sells, and the Outers bipod available here and there, are both clones of the Harris and cost about half as much, they're a little shiney and the material is slightly lighter, but they work just fine, I have both. There are other mounting options shown on the Harris web site.

Tim

http://www.harrisbipods.com/

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2007, 02:43:50 PM »
I have the bi-pod from walmart. Damn thing fell apart on me last season  ;D

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2007, 02:53:01 PM »
I have the bi-pod from walmart. Damn thing fell apart on me last season  ;D

Maybe Chinese, maybe not.
I have 3 Harris Bipods, one since the 70's & no trouble.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.