Author Topic: 1 down...2 to go..Got 3 plus 1 now  (Read 2466 times)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
1 down...2 to go..Got 3 plus 1 now
« on: February 07, 2007, 07:04:51 AM »

I got a like brand new CVA Elite 209 Magnum stainless fluted 50 cal MZ with the black flecked- thumb hole stock...set up with a 2pc (looks like Warne ) bases..and rings..with a Bushnell Banner 3x9 scope with the circle in it...that has less than a 15 shot pack of Power Built bullets down the tube...for $200.00 just a little while ago...I got a blued 223 compact ordered...along with a standard 243 for the boys...I'll be getting a 26" 22-250 barrel...a 24" stainless 243 barrel..and a 300 Win mag barrel...and of course the 45-70 barrel...The 243 stainless will be the first one I get..and the others sometime in April-May this year...with the 22-250 26" bull being the second...I'll have it home this Friday-Saturday...and hopefully the boys sometime next week...Needless to say I am a happy camper this morning.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D I gotta get a center fire for arm for it..which isn't a big deal...since they have them at the factory...I'll get some pictures posted when I get it home...WAHHHHHHH---WHOOOO...

PS...If all of you muzzle loader guys would care to share some of your loads...I sure would appreciate it...I don't know much about them...Like what powder-pellets give good results...bore butter? sabots..bullets...basically all about them... :D :D :D :D :D

Mac 
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
Re: 1 down...2 to go..
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 07:23:47 AM »
Mac, can the centerfire barrels fit up to all Optima rifles? Be it muzzleloader or one of thier shotgun models?
Or are they different receivers like NEF's to avoid the paperwork and FFL's?
O, congrats too 8) Look forward to some pics. Perhaps a good time to use some of the MolyFusion on your new ML.

I would PM Busta and ask him. He and Tim helped me out a TON when it came to ML and powders.

-Aaron

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 08:40:20 AM »

No Arron...The Elite barrels only fit the Elite frames...and the frames are marked Elite...as not to confuse anyone...The center fire barrels are longer so they can't be swapped out...You have to fill out the 4473 form to buy any of the Elite frames...but not for the barrels...

I want to shoot it before doing any treatments on the bore first...I may not need it..

Mac

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 02:16:29 PM »
Man O Man,I sure am haveing fun shooting mine,it must be pure torture for Mac to not have one to shoot yet ( I like to rub it in on Mac)My target reacts like this when it see's the Opitima comeing.I automaticly makes 5 holes touching,before I even pull the trigger. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 06:49:55 PM »
Man O Man,I sure am haveing fun shooting mine,it must be pure torture for Mac to not have one to shoot yet ( I like to rub it in on Mac)My target reacts like this when it see's the Opitima comeing.I automaticly makes 5 holes touching,before I even pull the trigger. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)  Digger

Sure...kick a guy when he's down... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

That's ok...I'll have mine soon enough... ;)

Mac

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 03:59:31 AM »
Ha Ha...

I'm 2 up on ya now Digger... :D :D :D :D :D :D ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)  (back at ya bud ;) ;) )

These are the Boys rifles...One is a compact...no real difference except it has a shorter stock...both of these are 243...I had to rush to get the compact here for the youngest sons birthday on the 20th this month...and I couldn't get one here in time in 223 for him...That's why they are both 243's...I don't think he'll mind though...and I should be able to work up a nice mild load for it by spring for him to practice with...If he can't deal with it...I'll just put his barrel on mine...and get him a 223 barrel...I can order the barrels  pretty easy as compared to the whole rifle..and won't have a problem with getting barrels here......The other full size one is for my oldest son..He'll be 16...and is already 6'1"...so he'll be able to use the full factory loads or full hand loads with his...A great feature about these are..we can share different barrels between them and see how they do on our own frames...and for my sons...this will be a blessing...

Here's the difference in the stocks...

Mac

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 05:26:31 AM »
That's great! I doubt the 243 will be a problem, esp. with you being a reloader. You can load some 55BT's at moderate speed for spring Varmit/Target work with very light recoil. By late summer when you load 95BST's or whichever hunting slug you choose, he will be ready.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 06:00:10 AM »
Congrats Mac, those boys are gonna be happy, but I bet Dad is too!! ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
Re: 1 down...2 to go..got em..(3 plus 1 now)
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 09:23:55 AM »
Thanks Guys...

I just couldn't help myself...I went back to the store to get both of them a good lockable hard case...and  I figured I should at least be shooting a center fire with them when I get them to the range...so...I bought a 308 barrel ;).......I just put the MZ fore arm right on....and it fits pretty good....So...I may not have to worry about getting a new one right away... ;D

It looks real good on the stainless frame...locks up tight as a drum..just like the 50cal stainless ML barrel...

Mac

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2007, 09:30:05 AM »
That looks real nice, Mac!! ;)

Tim

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 09:37:37 AM »

I think so too Quick...I kinda like the contrast between them...and yup...I am a happy camper now...Heck...if it weren't for the negative connotation involved...I guess you could say I am becoming a Elitist now :D :D :D :D :D hmmmmm maybe I am on to something there... ;)...naaaaaaa :D

Mac

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 09:51:06 AM »
Or an Optimaddict!!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
Re: 1 down...2 to go..Got 3 plus 1 now
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007, 12:02:09 PM »

Hmmm....a Optima-addict......I like it.... ;D

Mac

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2007, 07:49:37 PM »
All these purchases, what are ya talling up to now Mac, 8 or 9? Sounds like someone got their tax refund  8)  ;D
I look forward to several range reports soon to come.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2007, 08:39:04 PM »
All these purchases, what are ya talling up to now Mac, 8 or 9? Sounds like someone got their tax refund  8)  ;D
I look forward to several range reports soon to come.

Naaa...Just 4 of them ;) :D...Not counting the NIB 270 Win.Weatherby MOA...which make 5 new rifles to play with..

Mac

Offline oldrookie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2007, 05:34:28 AM »
Dog gone Mac I've heard of shopping sprees!......when you get an itch, you scratch it don't ya? How old are the boys by the way?

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2007, 07:23:37 AM »
Dog gone Mac I've heard of shopping sprees!......when you get an itch, you scratch it don't ya? How old are the boys by the way?

Yup...I'm like an ole bear when they come out of the den...got to get my back up against something and Scratch   :D :D :D :D :D

They are soon to be 12 & 16...(11&15 until the 20th this month for the youngest...and the 8th of next month for the oldest)

Mac

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2007, 07:56:44 AM »

Well...I took the 308 barrel back...and swapped it for a 243 barrel...I have been discussing a new hydraulic case forming die with Lonnie Hummel at Hornady over the past few months...and it looks like it a reality now...so he'll be sending one my way to use...I'm going to have my 243 barrel rechambered to 6mm AI...and these new dies of Hornady will be taking all the fuss out of making any wildcat case...Just run the parent case them thru the die...and out pops a case ready to be shot..No more expanding up & down..No more cream of wheat....Just a simple pass thru the die..and presto..a fully usable case...From Lonnie's using them in his 1000 yard 7mm H&K...they appear to be a god send for anyone wildcatting and case forming...and should work for any rifle...especially the break action single shots like the CVA's and the NEF's......  I also got a custom reamer ordered from Dave Kiff of Pacific tool & gauge...it will be a no-turn neck..along with the go gauge...so...Now all I have to do is wait for them to come in...Expect a full report on everything when it is all completed...

In the mean time...I'll be shooting some factory ammo thru the 243 just to see how it does...along with my Muzzle loader and my custom 270 NEF come Monday...Lord willing and the creek isn't up... ;)

Mac

Offline kodiakemt

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2007, 08:43:13 AM »
Mac,

Does is the thumbhole stock set for amby use, or is it just for right handers?

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2007, 06:42:54 PM »
Mac,

Does is the thumbhole stock set for amby use, or is it just for right handers?

Yes...it is completely ambidextrous with the same cheek piece on the opposite side...Here's a couple pics to show ya...

Left side...

Right side..

As you can see they are both the same...You'll have just a little more reach to the unlocking lever..but no much...The locking lever is off set to the right side by 3/8" of an inch...

Mac

Offline kodiakemt

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2007, 04:24:34 AM »
Cool thanks! It might be time to hit the local stores for a price check.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2007, 07:48:31 AM »

Your Welcome

Mac