Author Topic: 6.8 spc AR15 shopping  (Read 867 times)

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
6.8 spc AR15 shopping
« on: February 07, 2007, 10:06:47 AM »
I have been shopping for a 6.8 spc in an ar15 carbine platform. Anybody own one, shoot one, or have any experiences with the 6.8 ar? To me they appear to be the perfect balance of weight and fire power. Several companies make them now and the 6.8 spc seems to have won out over the 6.5 Grendel.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline scout34

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: 6.8 spc AR15 shopping
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 12:57:33 PM »
Haven't shot the 6.8, but I'm sort of looking as well.  Not very impressed with the 5.56, but like ammo availability and cost.

If I did go with a 6.8 in an M4 style platform, it would be one of the new ones with an op rod versus gas tube. 

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 01:04:00 PM »
www.lwrifles.com has the op rod version and it looks to be a very reliable system. DPMS has a good web sight with a "build a rifle" section the adds many various options at your will and prices the gun out for you. I am leaning towards DPMS.

Cheese

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 04:27:09 PM »
Cheesehead,
      We've talked about my Bushmaster 6.8 before, but I thought I'd let in on my last trip to the range with it.  I had some factory Silver State Armory rounds loaded with the Barnes TSX.  I fired a couple shots at 25 yards and it was basically one hole.  I fired three shots at 100 yards and I could cover the group up with my thumb (sub MOA).  It's just something you may want to consider.  After the 100 yard group I put the expensive ammo away and started shooting my other reloads, none of which shot as well as the SSA barnes TSX did unfortunately.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 06:15:02 PM »
Teddy12b

Thanks for the update. I just bought a 6.8 AR15 carbine made buy Bushmaster. It comes highly recommended by a couple of friends. I have yet to shoot it and am assembling some ammo at this time. The tsx bullets should be good hunting rounds according to the reviews I have read and I am glad to hear you have had good accuracy results with them. I have bought a quantity of Remington 6.8 brass, 115 grain fmj's and 100 grain sp's just to get started. The local sporting goods store has 6.8 Remington factory ammo in stock and it was all I could do to keep from buying some just to shoot this handy little rifle right away. I am considering optics but am unsure about anything specific at this time. Keep me informed and I will do the same.

Cheese

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 01:15:23 AM »
Cheesehead,
         I plan on reloading all my 6.8 brass using 115gr FMJ bullets from Midway for the range and then I'll use the SSA Barnes TSX if I ever go hunting with it.  I'll get the velocity of my handloads to approximately match that of the SSA TSX so that they'll be ballistically similar. 
         If you know of a place to get ammo/brass/bullets at reasonable prices let me know.

Later,

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 01:28:22 PM »
teddy12b

Up to this point I have bought all my components from Midway. Buy in bulk for the best prices is my advise, and since you are now own a 550 Dillion  bulk components is the only way to.

Cheese

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 04:32:41 PM »
You're not kidding about getting components in bulk with that 550B.  I've got over a hundred 6.8 brass just waiting for the conversion kit and then there is also a couple hundred of 44 mag brass.  That 550B has made the burden of handloading the 6.8 a true pleasure.  I've got the 45ACP toolhead all dialed so hopefully the other ones will be just as easy.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 04:44:33 PM »
I buy most components buy the thousand, like the 6.8 Rem brass and bullets since I believe my new AR will have a huge appetite for ammo. I also buy primers by the 5000 or 10,000 lot. You will see what i mean with the Ar and the 550 combo, a perfect combo.

Cheese

Offline Newly O'Brien

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 01:57:21 AM »
"I believe my new AR will have a huge appetite for ammo."  and I he's not kidding either!

Newly O'Brien