Author Topic: CVA Buckhorn  (Read 1858 times)

Offline jmckinley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
CVA Buckhorn
« on: February 08, 2007, 09:46:39 AM »
 ??? I am wondering if anyone else owns this little rifle it was my first and still is only muzzle loader and the darn rifle drives tacks. I piut a Vanguard/Winchester 4x44 scope on it in TC Gorilla rings and bases , and it puts 3 XTP 245gr sabots inside 1 1/2" at a 100 yards. Yet with that siad people on this site seem to think these rifle are junk. Whats up with that????????????   Jess
Jess

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: CVA Buckhorn
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 10:10:54 AM »
CVAs traditionally have had excellent barrels, but poor locks and triggers, I've seen many that would shoot with any custom muzzleloader at blackpowder shoots, but have seen lots of locks that caused problems. I have a 45 cal Staghorn inline that I paid $99 for that shoots as good as either of my TC Black Diamonds with the same loads!!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mangulator

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 10:48:13 AM »
My daughter has a Buckhorn (that I gave her)in 50 cal. and it is one of the most accurate muzzleloaders I have seen. Her husband was impressed with the muzzleloader and bought him one. Well I have no problems with them ;D

Offline jmckinley

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 04:15:24 PM »
 ;D I like mine so much my new one will be the Winchester Apex in 50cal. I think it's a clone to the CVA. I just like the stock on the Winchester over the CVa but my Buckhorn will stay around for those walkabouts here in NM that we some times do for Elk. Shoots great...kicks like a PO"D mule. Still a nice rifle for $ 100 bucks. Like u I have zero problems with this rifle...Jess :o :o
Jess

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 06:58:03 PM »

Well...it seems to some folks that if it doesn't say Savage..TC or Knight on it...it gets a bad rap...Come to think about it....sorta like our Handi's do too with the center fires......Hmmmmm me thinks a bit of class envy abounds perhaps..?? ::)

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline HillBillyFarmer

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 05:11:43 AM »
A few years ago I was in the market for an inline ML, so when my birthday rolled around my girlfriend at the time now my wife bought me a CVA Eclipse which is just like the buckhorn only it came out a little before the buckhorn and I've hunted with it ever since! I've always looked at other more expensive ML, but couldn't justify buying one only because the Eclipse shot so well and was very easy to maintain. I love how simple the gun is over all and that has always been a crucial sticking point for me. I could never get it to shoot copper powerbelts very well, but lead ones did pretty good. My pet load right now is a 300gr shockwave with 100gr of pyrodex or 777, I get the same results out of either. I have a bushnell banner series scope with a circle X recticle sitting on top that's a 3x9x40 and it seems to be the perfect match for this gun. I've spent more time with this gun in the field and at home on the bench than any other gun I own simply because it's such a great gun to shoot.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 09:41:18 AM »

That's great Hillbillyfarmer...Post some pictures of your rig when you can...and maybe some of the critters you have taken with it...Ole Digger is out hog hunting again with his...I hope he connects with one today...

PS...I got the same scope on mine...I don't know how it will work out...but I'll certainly try it and see how it does...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline jmckinley

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 07:10:32 AM »
 :o :o I said earlier that I was going to put the Winchester scope on the rifle what a POS it turnesd out to be. It was about as clear as mud. Instead I put a Weaver 4x K4 on top just like i did on my APEX. Out to 200yds this scope should do the trick.  Jess
Jess

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 08:45:45 AM »
Ive looked at all the higher end brand name rifles too but when a rifle doesnt fit me, palm area twists your wrist at an odd angle, the stocks are cheaply made and hollow, why should i pay the price they r asking? I looked at an encore and i could not line the open sights up at all due to it being so short. Scopes are not legal along with sabots so i went with a rifle that offered great balance, solid stock that was now hollowed out, a barrel that could shoot sabots and conicals accuratly, it hasnt let me down in the 4 years ive owned it and has paid for itself after all the deer it has taken.

Offline HillBillyFarmer

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 03:07:05 AM »
I couldn't agree with you more bigblock, if a gun doesn't have that "just feels right" factor every time you bring it to your shoulder I either don't buy it or it doesn't stay in my gun cabinet very long. Not only does my Eclipse have the "just feels right" factor it has the "this is perfect" factor too. That would probably explain why I do shoot this gun so much!

Offline jmckinley

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 04:31:18 AM »
I couldn't agree with you more bigblock, if a gun doesn't have that "just feels right" factor every time you bring it to your shoulder I either don't buy it or it doesn't stay in my gun cabinet very long. Not only does my Eclipse have the "just feels right" factor it has the "this is perfect" factor too. That would probably explain why I do shoot this gun so much!
Gentle men u both are right on. My new Apex fits me like a glove and I am shooting  it very well. Much better than some guns i have tried. It's the reason my Custom Swede is my go to rifle when i don't use my inline. JThat is a custom 98 and becomes part of me everytime I pick it up.  Jess ;D ;D ;D
Jess