Author Topic: nef pumps and autos  (Read 592 times)

Offline bowslinger

• Trade Count: (0)
nef pumps and autos
« on: February 09, 2007, 03:06:54 AM »
i see nef are making pumps and autos now are they made n the us or made outside of us and sold under nefs name

Offline 3s3k

Re: nef pumps and autos
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 06:56:03 AM »
 ???

Rumor has it they are made in CHINA!

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 07:18:53 AM »
???

Rumor has it they are made in CHINA!

Not a Rumor.  The pumps are made in China.  It is stamped on the receiver.  Although, I cannot prove it (never seen one) I seem to recall reading that the semi-auto is made in Turkey.

Some members here at GB's that have the pumps report that they like 'em.  The first models were virtual copies of Rem 870's.

There has been some writtings of them here, should you desire more info.  But you will not get overwhelming support from many members.

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 11:19:39 AM »
I've got one of the Turkey models, with the 24" barrel and fiber optic sights.  I bought it last year, for $179 at a sporting good store.  I was going to get one of the Mossberg 535 turkey models, but they sold it before I could get there to pick it up.  The NEF was the only turkey gun left that didn't cost over $500, so I though, well, it's only $179, I'll try it. 

It's a good bit heavier that the 535, but it is a very solid gun.  Finish was a uniform matte black, although it doesn't seem too durable. I wore the finish off of a corner of the receiver in a week of daily hunting, but it was riding on a quad rack quite a bit.  It has a much better trigger than any Mossberg I've shot, and better than most other shotguns in the $500 or under range.  It cycles much smoother than the 535.  It's supposed to be a copy of an 870, and it seems to be a pretty good one.  Patterns well enough with the factory tube and Winchester Supreme or Remington Turkey Mag loads that I'd take a shot at 45-50 yds with confidence.  The receiver has a bit of a humpback like the old Browning A-5, and I think that it looks neat.  The camo finish on the stock and forearm is pretty good, no marks or peeling to be seen.  The stock has a bit more drop than I'd like, so you know when it goes off, but it doesn't slap your cheek.  I would like the butt to be about an inch longer, and wider, with a better pad, but it works as is.  I may put a sllip-on pad on it to see if that helps. 

My friends dad says that it's a turkey "riot gun".  I would call it an excellent value for the money.  If you're on a tight budget, it's work a look.  A Benelli or Browning it ain't, but it still kills turkey's stone dead.  Yes, it's made in China.  That bugs a lot of people, but Mueller rifle scopes are pretty popular on this site, and they are made in China.  Same with a lot of Bushnell and other optics too.  I buy American whenever I can, but if I can't find what I want, I have no problems with something made overseas.

Offline wanderer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 01:23:26 PM »
I have had one since Dec. 2004. I was going to buy an 870, but I found this one. Half the price with a real walnut stock. It is a good gun and I have had no troubles. I have kept it reasonably clean, although I did shoot a case and a half of trap loads without cleaning with no troubles. The metal finish is only fair and the stock on mine is beat up (my fault). But I don't cringe when a put a ding into a $150 gun.

As far as the made in China issue goes, that is for you to decide.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 05:18:07 AM »
The China thing doesn't bother me near as much as using the name pardner with it, since it has neme regognition as a USA made gun. I know it's marketing but why can't they just mention it in their add copy. The auto as far as I know is the same as a verona 405 and is made in Turkey. There is a verona forum over at Shotgunworld and as I remember they got mixed reviews.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline bowslinger

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 05:29:23 AM »
its no big deal i was just asking i have 2 mossberg pumps all ready a 16ga and a 12 ga trophy slugster i was looking for one for my g/f i'm thinking more along a singe nef for her in 20 ga a slug shot barrel combo