Author Topic: Stupid Deer Poacher!!!!  (Read 2450 times)

Offline Jay HHI6818

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Stupid Deer Poacher!!!!
« on: February 09, 2007, 10:21:50 AM »
It’s amazing how stupid criminals are but then it makes it real easy for the authorities to bust them!!!!!

http://www.wvdnr.gov/2007news/07news024.shtm

Offline Doesniper

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Re: Stupid Deer Hunter!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 12:24:20 PM »
Poacher not hunter!

Offline beemanbeme

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 01:03:07 PM »
Wild and Wonderful West Virginia, motto: "We're number one...................in meth related deaths, welfare obesity, poor schools, adult illiteracy and more" would be a wonderful place to live if the state wasn't over-run by POS's like that.

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 01:56:47 PM »
Poacher not hunter!

+1,Gee and to be proud enough of it to get it mounted !!
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline Ranger J

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 04:52:19 AM »
Unfortunately that sounds a lot like the part of the Ozarks that I live in.  There are probably more illegal turkey and deer killed in our area than legal ones.  Our area is one of the few in the state of Missouri where the habitat could actually carry more game.  The whole problem is pouching.  At one time a lot of this had to do with subsistence poaching but now the average poacher has a several thousand dollar gun and is driving a 40 thousand dollar 4FWD.  Even now on the rare occasion they are caught they plead “I was just shooting that deer to feed my family.” Give me a break!  What really burns me is that’s when they shoot a deer out of season they will only take the tenderloins and if it is a buck, the antlers.  Oh well, this is my rant for the day. >:(
RJ

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 07:21:31 AM »
+2 on the poaching.

West Virginia IS a wonderful place to live. We've got problems. Who doesn't? Every road into WV has two lanes, one in and one out.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline oso45-70

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 08:02:44 AM »

It is not just West Virginia, Stuff like this happens all over the USA and Canada, It don't make it right but, As long as there are game animals out there, there will be poaching, There seems to be a mentality that some have that the game is there for the taking and i am going to get mine. It's not some thing new, It has been going on since time began. All one can do is play by the rules and hope others follow suite........Joe...........
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 09:59:48 AM »
Wild and Wonderful West Virginia, motto: "We're number one...................in meth related deaths, welfare obesity, poor schools, adult illiteracy and more" would be a wonderful place to live if the state wasn't over-run by POS's like that.

It happens every where, Not just West Virginia.  I happen to Like West Virginia.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline beemanbeme

Re: Stupid Deer Poacher!!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 12:57:18 PM »
I happen to like it also.  That's why I live here.  That doesn't mean I have to like the droolers that think welfare, poaching, hunting on private property and gov'ment dependency is a birthright.  And, of course, if you mention any of this, somebody pops up and sez "why don't you leave?"  Better yet, why don't you stay in school past the 6th grade and get a job? 
This past fall, before the season opened, I found 4 deer up the hollow behind my house.  One big buck that had had the head cut off and three others that had the tenderloins pulled and the hams cut out. 
Its my land and as long as I pay my taxes (and I pay a buch for an old retired f**t), I'll say what I please.

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 02:32:34 PM »
beemanbeme, say what you want and I agree with you, but it is not just in West Virginia that all that happens.  I have seen it all over and you can asked anyone in any State and you will find it is every where.

I live in Delaware and we have it here, I also own land in West Virginia and I am sure it is there. So moving is not an option for any of us. It is every where. That is a sad and frustrating fact.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 03:04:36 PM »
BTW the state motto is:  Montani semper liberi  "Mountaineers are always free"
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline jhm

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 04:21:42 AM »
In each and every State the penalties are not severe enough, If caught poaching any vehicle , weapons, or anything of value needs to be confiscated and then a large fine needsa to be levied to cover all cost of collecting property and the loss of the game. ;D   JIM

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 05:20:04 AM »
jhm- you said it all!
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline elmer

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 06:12:47 AM »
I believe in Texas poaching can cost you all of your gear and the possibility for permanent loss of hunting license.
NRA life member
TSRA life member
Dallas Safari Club member
JPFO life member
GOA life member

http://public.fotki.com/ElmerF/
http://s215.photobucket.com/profile/CharlesL_album

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 08:13:46 AM »
Redhawk, I understand that but it doesn't mean I have to like it...  And the absolute arrogance of the fellow to then go on the internet and brag about it is too much.

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 11:02:55 AM »
beemanbeme, I agree with you 100%. There are a lot of people that are just plain stupid.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2007, 11:52:07 AM »
I don't condone poaching and I report it.  A week before firearm season opened for antlered deer I saw a truck drive off the street I live on and go into the woods. It was a dark night and it was raining. The truck was fairly new and it only added up to spot lighting. I called the game warden for our county and I also called the developer/land owner. The developer/land owner blocked the trail so vehicles can't get into the woods now. The game warden started patrolling around here. Poachers come in all ages and income groups. I have no use for any of them.
--Albert Einstein

Offline lil_hunter12

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2007, 01:59:33 PM »
here in kentucky i have been told by many game wardens that if you are caught poaching they will take your gun vehicle and everything in it you get some jail time a large fine and 5 years of suspended hunting priveledges.

Offline AAAJohn

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2007, 03:07:43 AM »
I don't go along with poaching, but I don't go along with people that say hunters are poachers everything they get caught breaking a game law and get fined. The states have so many laws on the books now that when you pull off the road to hunt you probably have already broken one. How many of you out there get out of you vehicle load your gun and walk away. Here in WV if we aren't 100 feet away when we load or unload we are hunting from the vehicle. Heaven forbid if we get out of the truck and shoot a deer before we get 100 feet away, then we become a poacher. So the next time a warden fines some reason, and he will look till he can find something, to give you a ticket, look in the mirrow at that poacher. Because some will give you that name. If you break one law they have so many on the books they can add several charges and make you sound like a snake that doesnt deserve a license. I can't remember the last time I got a ticket from a warden, but I was stopped a couple of monts ago for bear hunting and accused of deer hunting and delayed 20 minutes while he tried his best to find something on me. He wasn't gonna give up, but got a call to go somewhere else. His reason for acuseing me was I had a deer rifle. Around here that's what I use for bear.
Enough said.

Offline elmer

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2007, 06:31:37 AM »
Every year when I get my license I pick up the regulations. They have free copies everywhere that I have seen selling licenses and I read it. I also keep it in my hunting backpack. The main reason I am shy about fishing (except for catfish) is that the rules seem sorta confusing to me.

When you exceed the bag limit or hunt out of season it's not a minor mistake. It's poaching.
NRA life member
TSRA life member
Dallas Safari Club member
JPFO life member
GOA life member

http://public.fotki.com/ElmerF/
http://s215.photobucket.com/profile/CharlesL_album

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2007, 06:10:36 PM »
If I knew for a fact that a man was poaching to feed his family I might be able to overlook it once, but some of the folks do it as a way of life.  They won't work, and think they can live off the land, killing everything they eat.  If it were a guy in a new 4x4, with a $2000. gun, I would be the first in line to turn his sorry butt in, and would go to court to see him convicted.

Everytime I hear about a poacher I think about an incident that happened many years ago.  We were at a deer camp south of Brownwood, Texas, it was Friday night before opening day of the season.  We were in the cabin playing cards when we heard a gun go off.  You couldn't see the cabin from the road, but we could see the road.  Looking out, we seen a vehicle's lights on the road about 500 yards from the cabin.  We could see a man moving in front of the lights, he crossed the fence onto our property and we lost him in the brush.  My friend, who already had too much Jim Beam, picked up his .44 mag and grabed his jeep keys and went out to see what was going on, another friend who was sober and myself decided we had better go cheeck on him.  When we drove up Jim was out of the jeep, had a guy at gun point reading him the right act.  I didn't see any gun, or dead deer, so I asked what was going on.  He said he had to use the bathroom and had got out of the truck to go when his friend shot up in the air to scare him.  I couldn't prove otherwise, so I asked if had taken care of business, he answered , "yes", so I told him to leave.  We stood there as he crossed the fence, got in the pick-up, and they drove away.  Jim jumped in his jeep turned around and headed back to the cabin.  As many of you know, it takes two acres to turn a Ford F--250 Crew Cab around, as I was turning around I noticed something white on the ground about 25 yard away.  I drove over to it, there lay a dead doe, shot between the ears.  There was also a Remington 700 ADL, .270 with a Lepould scope, and a nice Puma knife.  We loaded the deer in the truck, I put the gun and knife in the back seat, drove back to the cabin, hung and skinned the deer and put it in the locker.  I went inside, everyone looked at the gun and knife.  We continued to play cards for 45 minutes or so when we heard a knock on the door.  Someone opened the door, there stood the guy we had talked to earlier.  He said, "you can have the deer, I just want my gun a knife back.'  I stood up and asked him, "what gun?" We went back and forth a few times, he seemed to be getting mad and said "I want my gun and I will get it, I don't care what I have to do."  I told him again, "I don't know what you are talking about, but I will be happy to call the game warden, or county mounty, and let them sort this out.  SInce there were 12 of us in the cabin, he left and we never seen him again.  The .270 is in my safe, and has been for several years.  I had a sheath made for the knife and still use it.  I would bet, this guy thinks about this more often than I do, and I am sure if someone mentions poaching he will tell them it is an expensive way of getting a deer.

Offline WylieKy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2007, 02:51:05 AM »
You have to be careful poaching in WV.  You have a decent chance of running into a still or a marijuana patch and catching a bad case of dead.  If the area is remote yet accessible,  it might already be in use!!!  I have ran info 4-5 marijuana patches in the Lake Cumberland area of KY over the years. Although I don't poach, my dad and I like to look for Indian artifacts and ginseng, so we cover a lot of ground.  One patch had grenades in mason jars strung up at shoulder height.... That is the only one we reported,  anonymously of course.  Why is that the only one you reported you ask??? A couple of weeks later we went back and checked it out, the booby traps were gone, but the pot was still there.  Hmmm......

WylieKy
This that I do, I do by my own free will.

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2007, 04:04:37 AM »
Just like whiskey money back during prohibition, a lot of dope money ends up in Pol's pockets. 

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2007, 07:50:57 PM »
I would rather see some one poach a deer than shoot some ones damestic animals dont get me wrong i dont like poachers  here in Okla we have some real dumb asses out of towners or out of staters that will shot your horses your cattle your pigs, sheep what ever is out in the pasture just to shoot there rifle happend thise year shot 7 damistic animals there is so many deer here that a few poached u wouldnt no any diffrant i know it is brakeing the law but i would rather have some 1 brake the law a have a chance of geting busted by the warden than shoot 8.000  to 10.0000 dollers worth of cattle or your son or daughters horse here in Okla the manuel clams if geting cot poaching it is a money fine big 1 vehicle sezier gun seizer and lose your hunting licsense for ever but if a person was to get caught i dont know if they would be that had on a person just depends on the judge
1 shot 1 kill

Offline jhm

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2007, 04:09:18 AM »
When any hunter buys his or her license they have the oppertunity to pick up the game rules and most of them are nothing more than comon sence, so there is really no big excuss for the statement I didnt know it was illegal to shot that doe on private property with a hand held light at 11:30 p.m. remember against the law is against the law it is your responsibility to know the laws, if you dont and get caught you are a POACHER that simple  ;D   JIM

Offline oso45-70

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2007, 05:32:40 AM »

rochbijlly.

One heck of a story, Bout busted a gut when i read it, Served the jerk right. You played your cards right and won.....Joe.......
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2007, 09:35:34 PM »
rockbilly, et al...that is the same story line used by poachers in South Carolina!!! 
Quote from: rockbilly
He said he had to use the bathroom and had got out of the truck to go when his friend shot up in the air to scare him.
There must be a Poacher's Net.  If the man didn't pee himself when confronted by "Mr. Jim Beam" and his 44 Mag, it is clear to me that your poacher has refined his story, is the hardened type, probably tempered under fire, and is experienced with getting grilled.  Glad you have that rifle and knife.  Too bad it couldn't have been more...he had it coming and the driver too.  Your actions say a lot about Rural Justice.

Offline Ranger J

• A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2007, 05:07:18 AM »
Great story but if that had happened in our neck of the woods I am afraid that the next time you came back to that cabin all you would find was a pile of ashes.  The poachers we have around have no respect for the property of others and feel that they have to ‘get back’ at property owners over the slightest slight.  If you run them off your property you can expect to find buildings vandalized at best and usually burned to the ground or live stock killed.  Many people in our area are in fear of these people and for good reason.
RJ

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2007, 06:21:23 AM »
Poachers can be ruthless and cunning people, but my past experience, and education in law enforcement has taught me to always ask for identification when dealing wait an individual in a questionable situtation.  I had asked the individual for identification when I first approached him in the field, he produced his drivers license, I still remember the name, and he would have been the first one I went looking fo if something happened,

The cabin was on a leased property, we did not own it, so burning it down would have accomplished nothing toward doing damage to us.  The land was handed down to the owner by his father, it had been in the family for well over a hundred years.  He was well known, and though fair, did not take anything from anyone.  He would have made their life miserable if he found out who burned his cabin.

We recently had another poacher group in this area that were killing deer for the anthlers, they wiould shoot the deer, take the rack and leave the rest.  They were selling them on ebay.  I think the leader was given ten years, I don't know what the rest got, but they should have time to thing about new ways to poach while killing time for the next few years.

Offline AAAJohn

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2007, 03:47:18 AM »
When any hunter buys his or her license they have the oppertunity to pick up the game rules and most of them are nothing more than comon sence, so there is really no big excuss for the statement I didnt know it was illegal to shot that doe on private property with a hand held light at 11:30 p.m. remember against the law is against the law it is your responsibility to know the laws, if you dont and get caught you are a POACHER that simple  ;D   JIM

I agree, and if a man is doing wrong, he usually knows it, but not always.
90 % of the citations that the officers hand out are from regular guys making mistakes or unknownly breaking laws. You don't just have to know the laws in the regulations, but the state and federal laws to if the pretain. Then if you are hunting in other states you have to know the laws of that state.
And most of the officers won't cut you no slack. I think they would cite their 90 year old grandma for kicking a piece of paper out of the car when she got out. And the waterways are worse than the hunting lands. That's why the officers stay around boat docks, don't usually have to worry about guns and a lot more citations. To many Barneys and not enough officers out there like Andy Griffitte anymore.
And just because a guy is a tresspasser, doesn't mean he's there to poach. My nephew, brother, and I parked at a church and walked in to state land on a public cemetary road. The state hunting land conected to the cemetary and we never loaded our guns till we were on state land. When they came out the officer was waiting and gave them a tresspassing citation. I was late coming out and he got tired of waiting for me, so I was spared. Now we have seen dozens of hunters parking there before and the Pastor of the church told the officer he never had a problem with us parking there, but the guy that owned the land on both sides of the road wanted him to lock us up. We've hunted that land for years and the entrance is at the bottom of the hill. We were just going in an easier way.