Author Topic: 336 loading issue  (Read 655 times)

Offline Aardvark

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
336 loading issue
« on: February 10, 2007, 04:35:43 AM »
 I just acquired a '73 model 336 30-30 that is a pretty nice gun but there is one problem I am noticing...When the gun is unloaded, the lever works fine and the trigger pull is normal.However if I cycle a round into the chamber, the lever will not fully close on the little pin on the stock which frees the trigger mechanism to work right...If I jiggle it a bit, then it will close all the way and work properly.
 Any ideas about what causes this?
/^\__/^\
((*)   (*))
 ``(oo) ``
(V\/vv\/V)

Offline mavrick10_2000

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 336 loading issue
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 07:04:08 AM »
There might be a small piece of metal or other object floating around in your receiver causing this problem.    If you're not comfortable taking your rifle apart (and putting it back together correctly ;))    take it to a gunsmith.

My 336 in .35 rem was having a similar problem where sometimes the hammer wouldn't fall even when using all of the force in my shooting hand.   Turned out there was a tiny bit of brass (very small) that had worked it's way into the firing mechanism.  Removed it cleaned it up and put a new extractor in, and it works like a champ.   

BTW....don't wait to get it taken care of.  I tolerated it at the range, and thought to myself, this will probably only happen when that big buck steps out.   Sure enough, he stepped out and it locked up on me fortunately I quietly ejected the round loaded another into the chamber and it went bang and I got him.  I fixed it the following day.