Author Topic: Suggested optics  (Read 2856 times)

Offline oldrookie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Suggested optics
« on: February 10, 2007, 09:04:52 AM »
As indicated on a previous thread I am new to muzzleloading and have a new Optima. I have had the gun out once since its purchase. I quickly realized a need for a scope. I wear trifocles and couldnt see paper target at 50 yards. Heck a VW Beetle would have been safe that day. ;D In researching moderate priced scopes, I kind of like the bushnell banner 3x9x40. I mostly hunt in Indiana where we do have deep woods and crop field conditions.

Does anyone have experience with this scope? Plenty of relief? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

oldrookie
Bill Reiman
Indianapolis, IN

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: Suggested optics
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 09:33:12 AM »

Well...Plenty of guys swear by the Bushnell's...so I won't steer you away from them...heck...I even got one of them now :D :D :D...I've always been a Leupold guy...and haven't had one let me down...so...If you like the Bushnell's...then by all means get one...Mueller makes some darn good ones too...Look to our sponsors here at GBO and you'll find all that you need at a real good price...We have a whole forum dedicated to just optics you can research...and can see what all the guys likes...and you'll find discounts available to GBO members there...http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/board,54.0.html

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline mangulator

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 11:23:52 AM »
I have used Bushnells and they have served me well, but I have been researching Mueller scopes and I think I will get one next time I need to scope one of my rifles.

Offline oldrookie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 01:17:12 PM »
Thanks for the info so far. Having fired the Optima, I was expecting a little more of a kick. I only shoot 100g of powder and with that being said, is 3" minimum eye relief going to be enough?

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 03:18:05 PM »
I assume that in the woods your shots can be very close. So we know that a variable with a good low setting is nice for that. But what I don't know is how far you plan to shoot. I have used the 1X3 Weaver, 1.75X5 of a couple of brands, fixed 4X, 2X7s, 3X9s,
& 2.8X10 for my smokepole hunting, & guess what, they all work. I still like the 1X3 or 1.75X5 type scopes, but I don't buy them anymore, they offer a little more field of view & that was good in the early days, but I have shouldered a scope for so long now, the 2X7 & 3X9 give me all the FOV I want & I leave them on a lower setting & crank up if needed. I have settled on the 2X7 through 3X9 range of scopes as the right power range for me. I have a 3X9 Bus. 3200 on my Encore 50cal. & it is excellant. I also like the 2X7
Leupold with the range dots I have on my XLR & my brother has a Mueller 2X7 Multishot on a Cowboy that is nice. The Mueller is not quite as bright, but the red dot makes it about par in that regard. Also, the circle makes it a bad boy for running game & to a limited extent, you could range find with it. A Burris 3X9 Ball. Plex is another.

Concerning eye relief, it depends. I like more than 3" but 3" will work, esp. if you use 100gr. powder & sabots of under 300 gr. If you shoot the heavier charges & or 300 gr. & heavier bullets, look hard at the eye relief of the 2X7 Leupold, it is just over or just under 4" at all powers. That is why I have one on a 45-70 & that rifle is Mac's fault!  ;D
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline oldrookie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 04:29:43 PM »
I assume that in the woods your shots can be very close. So we know that a variable with a good low setting is nice for that. But what I don't know is how far you plan to shoot. I have used the 1X3 Weaver, 1.75X5 of a couple of brands, fixed 4X, 2X7s, 3X9s,

Being a bowhunter at heart, I can't imagine a shot longer than 100 yards. Heck my world has been inside 30 yards. A typical load for me  will be 100g triple 7 and 295g powerbelt. Closer shots in woods would be between 30 and 60 yards. The only reason I was looking at 3x9x40 flexibility and good FOV. Some have told me that FOV is substantially different with 32. Also the low light condition would be enhanced with a 40 correct?

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 04:45:16 PM »

Also the low light condition would be enhanced with a 40 correct?

It will help some...but not as great as you would think...Better optics being super crisp & clear edge to edge and having special coatings on the lens that enhance what light is passing thru will give a better view as well in low light too...Being able to discern more detail is a important part of it...

Mac

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 05:07:03 PM »
I like the Bushnell Banners myself and you don't have to settle for 3" eye relief either. You can have 4" or 6".

http://www.bushnell.com/general/riflescopes_banner_71-3944.cfm

http://www.bushnell.com/general/riflescopes_banner_71-3947.cfm

As far as the Muellers go I'm betting they're great scopes too. I don't have one though. If you want to collect a lot of light then you might think of going with a 50mm objective lens. There are lot of scopes out there that are moderately priced with 50mm obj. lenses. Simmons, Tasco, and others. You're gonna want to stay with a 12-13" scope for the MZ though I would think. Here's the latest one I got to try out...............

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=277917

Haven't put it to any use yet, but I like the way it looks and it does seem to be amazingly clear and does get in a LOT of light.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 07:13:36 PM »
The 40mm obj. helps in low light a little if both scopes have the exact same quality lens. But like Mac said, the quality of the lens is much more important than if it is a 32 or 40. At the ranges you are talking about with the 32mm lens you can get a 7mm exit pupil at 4.5X, & 4.5X is sure as heck enough power at 60 yards.

FOV is a function of the ocular lens, not the Objective lens.

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 04:43:35 AM »
I prefer a 50 mm.  scope myself and about 4" eye relief for a muzzleloader. The dusk to dawn coating on the bushnell's really helps in very early morning light.You can check the animal out very good in light that you can't see well enough with your naked eye.  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline oldrookie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 05:25:57 AM »
I prefer a 50 mm.  scope myself and about 4" eye relief for a muzzleloader. The dusk to dawn coating on the bushnell's really helps in very early morning light.You can check the animal out very good in light that you can't see well enough with your naked eye.  Digger

Hey Ditchdigger, which Bushnell model are you talking about with 50mm? Also, anyone use the rings and mounts that CVA recommends specifically for their rifles? I think they are called Durasights.

Offline oldrookie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 05:49:12 AM »
Mac, on another thread, I saw pics of your setup. Nice rifle by the way. Those rings on the Banner, are those medium highth? I noticed there is not much room between tube and hammer? Don't really want to go with high rings if I don't have to. Also, could the tube of the scope be moved slightly forward of the hammer?

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 07:01:28 AM »

Hey Ditchdigger, which Bushnell model are you talking about with 50mm? Also, anyone use the rings and mounts that CVA recommends specifically for their rifles? I think they are called Durasights.

I use the 6X18X50 on my varmit rifles,but I think I remember seeing a new model somewhere that was 3X9X50 in the Banner line.
I've shot coyotes on moonlight nights at 300 yds. that I could'nt even see with my naked eye with the Varmit scope.  Digger

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 07:19:15 AM »

I am not 100% sure...Quick thinks they might be the regular Burris rings...so..I really can't tell...but I am going to pull the scope off to check something that doesn't look right with the way it is set up...

Mac

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 07:17:12 AM »
Ditchdigger
I think you would find the Leupold 3X9X40mm VXI or VXII to be brighter than the Banner series in a Bushnell with a 50mm lens. That is what I mean by a lens of better quality being more important. If you compared with the Bus.4200, then it would be another matter. I am keeping in mind the self imposed range limitation of the poster of 100 yards. A large 50mm scope does not make alot of sense to me in that application.

7 mm exit pupil is all the human eye can utilize. If you take the 340(40mm lens) & dived by 7(exit pupil), you will have 5.5, being the power you can set your scope on & have a 7mm exit pupil, the most light possible. A scope on 5.5 power is plenty for a Deer @ 60-100 yards, your max.

Offline HillBillyFarmer

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2007, 07:22:40 AM »
On my CVA Eclipse I have a Bushnell Banner 3x9x40 with a circle X recticle which I love! My father shoots a CVA Optima standard 209 model and he wears glasses, so we went with the extra eye relief. His scope is a Bushnell Banner 3x9x40 with a 6" eye relief and he enjoys it and has had no complaints.

Offline oldrookie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2007, 07:33:52 AM »
On my CVA Eclipse I have a Bushnell Banner 3x9x40 with a circle X recticle which I love! My father shoots a CVA Optima standard 209 model and he wears glasses, so we went with the extra eye relief. His scope is a Bushnell Banner 3x9x40 with a 6" eye relief and he enjoys it and has had no complaints.

6" eye relief? Is that the shot gun model?

Offline HillBillyFarmer

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 07:41:25 AM »
Actually the description that Bushnell gives for this model says it's for shotguns and lever-action rifles, but it works real good on my dads muzzleloader too  ;D

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 05:12:53 PM »
Ditchdigger
I think you would find the Leupold 3X9X40mm VXI or VXII to be brighter than the Banner series in a Bushnell with a 50mm lens. sense to me in that application.

I've had the Var X II's and the 3200 elites and they can't compare to the 6X18X50 Bushnell In  my hunting situations.I have 2 of the 6X18" and use them on late evening hunts for coyotes. The coyotes are very hard to spot in the sage grass field that I hunt on,(up to 1000 yds.)but by using the scope to pan with I'm able to spot them. You take a very early deer hunt with him in the shade,and you can clearly see every point on his rack,and without it you can't even tell if it's a buck.     Digger

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 05:33:20 PM »
Ditchdigger
I think you would find the Leupold 3X9X40mm VXI or VXII to be brighter than the Banner series in a Bushnell with a 50mm lens. sense to me in that application.

I've had the Var X II's and the 3200 elites and they can't compare to the 6X18X50 Bushnell In  my hunting situations.I have 2 of the 6X18" and use them on late evening hunts for coyotes. The coyotes are very hard to spot in the sage grass field that I hunt on,(up to 1000 yds.)but by using the scope to pan with I'm able to spot them. You take a very early deer hunt with him in the shade,and you can clearly see every point on his rack,and without it you can't even tell if it's a buck.     Digger

Why would a low end Bushnell be brighter than a high end Bushnell? Don't get me wrong, if cheaper is better I am all for it!!
What power do you have it set on to see like this at dusk?

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2007, 05:29:43 AM »
Nonsendero,its the 50 mm objective I guess, I use the 300 yd objective lens setting and 6 to 10 pr.and it work's very well.The scope works very well for just about everyone that has one.If you know someone that has one,borrow it some eve.and check it out.   Digger