19 (30.6%)
D-A revolver
18 (29%)
S-A revolver
1 (1.6%)
D-A-O auto
7 (11.3%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: primary concealed carry choice  (Read 1993 times)

Offline .44splx2

• Trade Count: (0)
primary concealed carry choice
« on: February 11, 2007, 06:21:19 AM »
Was wondering how many carry a Single action revolver but decided to make it a poll.
Not meaning to start a revo vs. semi-auto discussion. Looking for specifics. Thanks.
 :)
We must pass along/encourage hunting, shooting, the outdoors etcetera. 

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
Re: primary concealed carry choice
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 11:46:59 AM »
I used to carry semi auto Glocks, but really fell in love with a 2" 44 Mag/Spl that I carry daily.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 01:14:51 PM »
I carry several guns, depending on where I am going and what I am wearing. The gun I have on me most of the time is a Glock 21. Why? Glock dependability and 14 rounds of .45 ACP. (Memphis is not a safe town!) However, I also carry a couple of S&W .357s, (2.5" and 3"), and I have just bought a 638 Airweight, which will get quite a bit of concealed carry. When on the road and need an all purpose, do everything gun, it's my 4" 57.

So even though I have a whole bunch of S&W revolvers, and like shooting them the best, I voted Glock because that is the one that gets carried the most.

If I had to (regarding your first question) I could use a SA revolver, however, those are my fun guns. If I needed a fast second shot, I could just do better with a DA. Also, I feel safer with the trigger pull of DA guns. A cocked SA revolver doesn't take a whole lot to set it off! In a shoot/don't shoot situation I just like that extra insurance that's afforded you with a DA.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline jhm

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 02:04:55 PM »
Mostly a semi-auto, like others I have several to decide from but you will for the most part find me with a semi-auto ???   JIM

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 02:27:04 PM »
Mostly Glocks for their reliablity. I have a nice 1911, but don't trust it as much as the Glock.(Mine) Slim profile, conealabliity, firepower and ease of loading are some other reasons I like them (D/A autos).  However, I have carried D/A revolvers and like them a lot. 

Offline sherpa

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 03:47:57 PM »
9mm or .380 with lazer
IF I HAD KNOWN I WAS GOING TO LIVE THIS LONG I WOULD HAVE TAKEN BETTER CARE OF MYSELF.

Offline muskeg13

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 05:54:01 PM »
single action auto.  Why?  The M1911 is a single action auto.  I trained with and carried one for most of my adult life in the military.  I'm most familiar with the M1911 and trust it.  Now that I can carry concealed, it offers one of the most effective, most reliable, and still concealable options.  By the way, although I shouldn't even have to say it, it's in .45 ACP.

Offline Shawnee Gene

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 08:40:12 AM »
I was issued a M-15 Smith in 1976, b the USAF.  Been carrying revolvers ever since.  I tried autos for a year and now selling them all.  I just flat prefer revolvers.
"Wheel guns are Real guns!"

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 03:48:40 PM »
S&W model 13 3inch CT grips,or a Ruger 3in  both  are as dependable as a truck   Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 10:44:03 PM »
I can't vote in the pole because I do not own a primray weapon--well, really-- .
I do own a number but I don't have one that I limit myownself too.
I like Sigs and own two--a p220 and a 239--they are DA/SA with a different safty system than others that I also carry.
I have two STI's--one in a .45 and one in a 9X23--strictly 1911's.
A couple of PPK's in .380. They have the same safty systen as the Sig's. Well, basically.
A Smith .38 in a light weight scandium.
Soon, a Colt pre-70 safty system, in .45.
How do I carry??
Sometimes just in the pocket---sometimes stuffed. I own some scabbards but most often I opt to carry without benefit--to include the p220 and the 1911's.
Most comfortable for durational carry is the 239. Since I am in and out I rarely carry in the vehicle. Usually the 220 is in the console also, or any of the 1911's.
If you are going too own different weapons it makes it VERY necessary that you are VERY proficient with the system of each weapon. It is also good that you are aware--beforehand--of what you are putting your hand on. It would be illogitial you have to figger this out-- in a hurry.
Why no scabbard?? For the duration that I have it stuffed it is more trouble to use a scabbard. I also think I conceal better without.
Just my opinion.
Blessings 
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline PaulS

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 01:34:21 AM »
My primary carry weapon is a 6" Ruger 357.
Why? because it is the gun that I am most comfortable with.
It is at least as accurate as I am.
I have shot it, practiced with it, competed with it, hunted with it and carried it for 35 years.
PaulS

Hodgdon, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady = reliable resources
so and so's pages on the internet = not reliable resources
Alway check loads you find on the internet against manuals.
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads.

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 04:22:50 AM »
1911 Springfield Govt. Model that has been bobtailed. It carries really nice. I bought a Springfield XD in 45 acp that i really like also, but it's a little big for CC unless its winter. (Thinking hard on a XD Compact in 45.) In the summer it's so hot that I usually have on shorts, so I carry a 380 Kel-Tec most of the time.

Offline jimster

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 11:08:54 AM »
primary conceaed weapon is SA 1911 style. But there have been many times I've carried a single action revolver in .45 Colt, depnding on the surroundings and weather, I cut my teeth on single actions revolvers and have a great love for them. Most times though, the 1911 is with me, it carries better than a revolver for me.

Offline LEO

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2007, 01:18:35 PM »
Glock 22 or Glock 27 depending on weather and dress.  Because that is what my agency says I am to carry.  Actually they are fine handguns and I could do a whole lot worse.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 04:48:08 PM »
It is kinda like picking a girl to dance.  I select the one that I think can best dance to the tune being played.  Around town during the daytime I might select a small gun, after dark it will always be a big bore with CT grips.

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2007, 11:57:30 AM »
Most of the time it is a compact 1911 (Kimber Ultra Carry), but on occassion I do carry a S&W 625-10 which is a snub nose 45 ACP revolver.  I've considered an XD 45 but haven't gotten around to looking at them seriously.  If you haven't noticed yet; I'm a big fan of the 45 ACP round.

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2007, 01:57:13 PM »
Living in the PRC, central valley, its not likely that I'll ever have a CCW but if I did it'd sure be nice to have my 4" 629 sporting CT laser and loaded with Hydrashoks when the SHTF, especially at night faceing multiple assailants. 
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 01:32:59 AM »
Mostly a Kel-Tec .380, not a real fun gun to shoot but Kel-Tec makes the only true "pocket pistol" on the market. It's carried in a homemade pocket holster and has proved reliable with every type of ammo I could find. When camping, fishing or back-packing I carry a Ruger SP101 .357 with 3" barrel and Crimson Trace laser grips, carried in a crossdraw paddle holster since I'm less concerned with concealment and just may meet a cougar. When I think I may pick up a bunny or grouse on a back packing trip I carry a 6" AMT Automag II in a shoulder rig.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2007, 02:33:21 PM »
Glock 22 or Glock 27 depending on weather and dress.  Because that is what my agency says I am to carry.  Actually they are fine handguns and I could do a whole lot worse.

Same here except I do not own a 27, I own a 23...I am comfortable and proficient with the 22 and the 23 and would trust both without hesitation.  BTW, I am looking into purchasing a 27 really really soon...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Rogue Ram

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2007, 11:20:38 AM »

Funny, we sound like we work for the same outfit.  The 22 gathers dust, 27 carries easier and is just as accurate.  I need something bigger I have a rifle behind the seat.  ;) 

RR

Offline Nuttinbutchunks

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2007, 04:39:30 PM »
I carry a Springfield Ultra Compact .45, because I love the John Browning design, and the cartrige. In my mind, nothing beats that round, and if you need to make a hole, it should be a big one.  :P
Ohhhh, I hate when that happens :eek:

Offline Greeenriver

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2007, 06:19:26 PM »
Well, I was the one vote for a SA Revolver. 

Why???   Simple, I shoot a SA Revolver 500 to 1000 rds a month, I shoot other pistols MAYBE 50 to 100 rds a year.

I have always thought that a person should carry whatever they are the most profecent with and shoot the best.  For me, a SA Revolver don't take any thinking to use.  If I shot a Semi-auto pistol as much, it would be a much better cary gun, but I don't.  I know I can hit what I need to with a SA, might forget the safety on a 1911 under stress.

It works for me, probibly don't for most others.

Greeenriver
Most of life's problems can be handled by a sutiable application of high explosives

Offline Devy55

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2007, 08:33:47 AM »
Most of my concealed carry guns are SA/DA autos.  Which one depends on my apparel and ability to conceal.

Wearing a vest or long jacket, I'll wear a .40 S&W in a CZ-40P or Beretta Px4 in a side holster.

Wearing lighter clothing I'll wear a Bersa .380 in an SOB holster under my shirt.

FWIW, I just bought a small Taurus .357 revolver with 2" barrel, and am waiting for the holster to arrive.  Based on size, I'll probably carry this one in an SOB also, but I'll know better when I start carrying it.

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2007, 05:26:24 PM »
We can't get CCW permits in Wisconsin, but if we could I'd carry my SP101, 357 Mag, 3" barrel.

Why? Because it is the smallest revolver that I currently own which packs the biggest pop.

Skunk
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser