Author Topic: How not to mount a scope  (Read 2085 times)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
How not to mount a scope
« on: February 11, 2007, 07:56:45 AM »
I've been looking at my new muzzle loader's Bushnell scope set up...trying to figure out what make the rings are..and why it was set up like it was...Nether has made much sense to me...but in my conversations with the gun shop dealer...we discovered that the rifle hadn't been fired as previously said...that it was still new..and unfired...There are no burn marks any where on the breech plug facing & threads nor on the receiver..or in the barrel..So...this makes it a much better buy for me all around...Anyway...when looking at the way the original owner set this up...as you can see in this picture...

...The rear of the turret is touching the rear scope ring.. :o  This really isn't a good practice...and can damage the scope if it moves any during recoil...Normally one can tighten the rings down to keep this from happening...but in my particular case...if the rifle would have been fired...it would have moved and slid hard against the turret...here's why...

As you can see...there is a large amount of oil on the scope that was under the rings on both the front..and the back...

I touched the oil on the scope that was under the front ring and smelled it...It isn't Rem-oil or W D-40..but very similar to what comes on the new rings...much like a packing grease..

The last picture shows the inside of the top section of the rear ring...note the lines matching on the ring top & scope...this is showing that there wasn't full solid contact...and is a good candidate for lapping...

My advice is to make sure things are in their proper place by checking everything closely before going to the range and shooting...I know the urge to get out and shoot..but..you got to take the time to do it correctly........You have to make sure that all surfaces are fully degreased..and if using non-Burris rings..to lap them properly...It doesn't matter if your using the cheapest scope on the market...or the most expensive one...there is no short cuts when setting up your scope properly...

Mac

You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: How not to mount a scope
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 08:14:42 AM »
Those look like Burris Zee rings, but the one set I have doesn't have what looks like ribs on the inside of the rings in your pic, mine are smooth and came with their friction paper to be used in the bottom half, and their rings do come with a coat of dark brown oil also. Looks like they just slapped em on in the store without cleaning them first. ::)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 08:46:17 AM »

I would say the same thing Quick...BTW...I removed them completely from the base...and they measure from the bottom of the ring to the scope=.530" So I would say they are mediums to medium low if they have that size...

Mac

Offline oldrookie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 08:59:08 AM »
Mac, would you say there was enough clearance between the scope and hammer with low -medium? What height would you recommend for the Optima?

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 10:12:49 AM »
They do look exactly like my Burris Zee rings too. But as Tim said, mine don't have the ribs on them like that either. Odd..
By the way, do they make a 1 piece scope base that fits these Optima Elites?

-Aaron

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 06:43:54 PM »
Mac, would you say there was enough clearance between the scope and hammer with low -medium? What height would you recommend for the Optima?

More than enough...take a look at the first picture in this thread...

Mac

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 06:50:51 PM »
They do look exactly like my Burris Zee rings too. But as Tim said, mine don't have the ribs on them like that either. Odd..
By the way, do they make a 1 piece scope base that fits these Optima Elites?

-Aaron

I'll have a part number for you later today...I need to call the company anyway...

Mac

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 04:37:17 AM »
Aaron:

The rings & base combination is...

blued= DS702B...$29.95
silver=DS702s...$29.95

The 1 pc base..
blued=DS102B...$12.95
silver=DS102S...$12.95

You can see all the different types they make available here...http://www.durasight.com/

You can even convert the rings to be a quick detachable kind after you buy them...if you want...pretty neat trick...http://www.durasight.com/z2_alloy/quick_adapters.html

Mac

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 06:30:11 AM »
Cabela's has some nice pics of the rings and bases, including the QDs.

Tim

Rings and Bases

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 08:33:26 AM »
Great info fellas. I see a FAQs page in the Making  8)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 04:13:29 AM »
Great info fellas. I see a FAQs page in the Making  8)

If needed..... ;)

Mac