Author Topic: which climbing stand?  (Read 816 times)

Offline FATTTTDADDY

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
which climbing stand?
« on: February 11, 2007, 08:18:25 AM »
 i have taken up bow hunting and am going to buy a climbing stand.  i need one to hold 300lbs any suggestions? ???

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
Re: which climbing stand?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 10:35:06 AM »
If price is no object, Summit all the way.............I've looked at a bunch of them, and I think that the Summit's are the way to go.  For the value oriented person, I've had good results with Ameristep and Strongbuilt, but I'm not sure if they are rated for more than 250 lbs.

Offline Doesniper

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 04:58:11 AM »
I'd second the summit. API makes a good stand also.

Offline K.K

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 08:15:57 AM »
I like the Summit as well. I'm 250lbs and scared of heights, and I feel very safe in it strapped in my Hunter Safety System harness.  Just remeber never to climb icy trees, dead trees, etc, Also, I once slipped pretty good on a wet beech. Any good stand from a reputable manufacturer will have what you need. You may want to try a few before buying to see what best fits your needs. Good luck

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 09:47:43 AM »
I've got the API Grand Slam Magnum

http://www.outdoorsupply.com/api2001/gs2500m.htm

It's rated to 275 I think, I'm not a big guy...  I like it because it's simple, light enough to carry any distance, and quiet.  I put backpack straps on it, and put electrical tape everywhere metal hit metal.

The only incident I've ever had in a tree was in this stand.  When I first got it I didn't have the feet tied to the top part and while climbing down the feet fell off and fell to the ground.  Competely my fault, and I learned a lesson after having to drop to the ground.  Since then I've used it flawlessly, including taking a nice Missouri 8pt from it this year.

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 10:42:36 AM »
Yep, first time I used a climber, same thing happened to me.  I remembered the rope, but it was really long (for some reason), and I didn't think to tie it off short enough for me to reach the bottom with my legs.  It stopped the bottom from dropping all the way down, but the nine feet or so it did drop was still too much for me.   :P  I was about 15 feet high, it took forever to get the top down.  Ended up using my friends climber to get it.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 10:52:11 AM »
I am a big guy also. I bought the Summit Goliath.

http://www.summitstands.com/catalog.aspx?catid=Goliath

2006 Summit Goliath SS
The Summit Goliath&trade SS is a full featured stand that is also full-sized.

This stand ends your search for a great climbing and hunting stand that fits a bigger hunter. The full-sized hunter will appreciate a beefed up top section able to support up to 350 pounds. Get a look at that top section, it’s wider than normal which means you’ll stay comfortable so you’ll be able to hunt longer. Our RapidClimb* stirrups mean you don’t have to bend over to pull on boot straps and this stand is built tough and TMA-tested so you can finally feel secure that you’re in a stand designed with you in mind.

Relax, the Summit Goliath SS is all the treestand you’ll ever need...and more.

* Patent Pending

Shares the same versitility as the Viper SS - A great gun or bow stand!
QuickDraw™ trigger system is quick and quiet.
2" wider seat climber gives you extra room.
Weight capactiy increased to 350 pounds.
New two piece seat buckles are height adjustable and allow you to remove the seat quickly.
Solid front bar makes climbing easy and works well as a gun rest.
Thick Pads cover the arm rests and front bar so you are totaly comfortable.
Enclosed Packet includes 4 point safety harness, RapidClimb Stirrups, Summit Skin, All neccesary pads, hardware, ropes and straps.
5 year limited warranty.
Weight:  21 lbs. (Aluminum Construction)
Tree size:  8 to 20 inches
Seat height:  Adjustable
Seat Size:  (base) 18" wide by 12" long (back rest) 12" wide by 20" long
Overall Size:  20" wide by 36" long
Platform Area:  20" wide by 28 3/4" long
Seat Frame size:  (inside) 21.75" wide by 26.5" long
Weight Limit:  350 lbs.

If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 03:11:15 PM »
I have a 2000 summit viper extream This is the one that came with the foot rest and shooting arm.
I took the shooting arm off and put in my closet , I did not care for it and found it was a pain in the neck to back pack.

I am not a overly big guy about 225. I find this stand to be good during the warmer weather but when I put all my insulated hunting clothes on it is a bit cramped. and it is not the best for a bow hunter, you have to keep the top part close to the bottom or when you draw the bow it will hit the shooting rail and cause a total miss (I know this very well)
My friend gave me a open bushmaster (I think) it looks just like the viper but has the front rail cut off and the seat doesn't have the back. This is harder to climb the tree with but gives a wide open shooting lane and is a lot lighter to pack in.

I am now looking at getting a Goliath for when the weather gets cold

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 01:29:56 AM »
Gentlemen,

Gray Beard has provided a Forum for this specific topic located in Product Discussion Forums below entitled Blinds and Treestands.  It would be appropriate for the benefit of future readers to keep like topics together.  Your choice.  Respectfully...

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 08:47:28 AM »
No offense intended Land Owner......this is info that definitely pertains to deer hunting.  We all talk about guns, knives, whatever, in this forum as well, and each of them has their own particular forum???  I can't see where there is a difference?  If the moderator felt that this forum wasn't the place to discuss this, I'm sure that the thread would be moved.  I'm just not sure why this thread is an issue.... ???

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 08:54:54 AM »
Pitty really that like topics get distributed throughout all boards making specific opinions and discussions somewhat more difficult to research.  Not sure there is any genuine way to separate our exuberance for deer hunting and all that pertains thereto into closely related topics. 

No offense taken.  Just offering a suggestion.  Agree that we talk all kinds of "shop" here on the Deer Hunting Forum.  Appology that I came off sounding like that.