Author Topic: Anyone Shoot a CVA Percussion Muzzleloader?  (Read 3166 times)

Offline HillBillyFarmer

• Trade Count: (0)
Anyone Shoot a CVA Percussion Muzzleloader?
« on: February 13, 2007, 08:40:31 AM »
A couple years back I wanted to take a more traditional approach to muzzleloading and bought a CVA Bobcat with a synthetic stock. Like a synthetic stock is real traditional right? Anyways, I wanted something that had a side hammer and I didn't want to spend a lot of money only because I didn't want to invest a lot of money in something I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy. As it turns out the $54 that I spent for the gun was worth it because I've had a lot of fun flinging patch and round balls in the back yard. I've never done any serious hunting with it, but I sure have blasted a lot of clay pigeons hanging off of fence stakes at different distances out to a 100 yards. Anyone else with a similar story?

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
Re: Anyone Shoot a CVA Percussion Muzzleloader?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 01:05:02 PM »
We have 4 cva sidelocks, 2 bobcats, 1 mtn. stalker and a 20 year old cva hawken. All of them are shooters and the 20 year old hawken my brother had owned for 3 years now finally made first kill on a big mule deer doe.

Offline holyokster

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 02:17:52 PM »
I have two Bobcats, a St Louis Hawken and a Missouri Ranger.  I git my first deer with that old Ranger.  For the price I think they are great. 

Offline dispatch 510

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 06:37:53 AM »
holyokster What does the Missouri Ranger look like,Can you post a pic. I just picked up a Missouri carbine with a 21 inch barrel.

Offline holyokster

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 01:32:48 PM »
Sorry, no photo capability at this time.  However, my Missouri Ranger has a 28" barrel 50 caliber barrel, 15/16 across flats, double set triggers, 44" overall length, 7 1/2 lbs weight with blackened furnature.  Stock is hardwood stained in a dark color.  Fixed blade rear sight drift adjustable for windage.  Rifling is 1/66 with eight lands-deep grooves.  My model was purchased new in about 1985 for just under $100.00 if I remember correctly.  I harvested my first muzzeloader deer with it.  Off hand shot, range about 35 yards, frontal chest shot, speer round ball with spit patch.  The deer was down and dead before the smoke cleared.         

Offline Odinbreaker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 09:23:24 AM »
I have and Old CVA hawken 54 cal that came as a kit with a 12 gauge barrel with choke tubes great gun.  I just bought a 36 cal bobcat for plinking and small pesty critters.  I have always had good luck with cva side hammers.
Working hard to go Broke!

Offline buffermop

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 01:20:40 PM »
I have a Missourri 54 sidelock and it has  been tough getting service from CVA. Anyone have the same problem?  >:(

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 06:40:01 AM »

Nope...The guys I've dealt with there have all been pretty good...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 08:15:50 AM »
I have a Missourri 54 sidelock and it has  been tough getting service from CVA. Anyone have the same problem?  >:(

If its no longer in production, theres not much they can help you with unless you are willing to swap rifles for one of their newer inlines. Whats the problem with the rifle?

Offline buffermop

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 01:28:52 PM »
I need a new screw in nipple port. The part that the nipple screws into that scres into the barrel. A lot of corrosion over the years has narrowed the passage way considerable.

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 01:39:13 PM »
The drum you mean. That should be easy to replace if you can get the thread size.

http://www.thegunworks.com/custprodgun.cfm?Cat2Name=Drums&SubCat2ID=75&do=list&Cat1Name=Furniture

Offline buffermop

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 05:01:55 AM »
bigblock455.....Thanks for the "heads up" on locating this part. I could not get a responce from CVA on it. :)

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 06:37:16 AM »
bigblock455.....Thanks for the "heads up" on locating this part. I could not get a responce from CVA on it. :)

Try giving them a call. It took 2 weeks to get an email back from them for a simple question.
877-892-7544

Offline buffermop

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 11:24:19 AM »
Bigbloclk454.....I got my order taken care of by them on line and they assured me that shipment will go out tomorrow. Thanks again :)

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2007, 12:38:28 PM »
I just can't bring myself to buy an inline. I have an old trapper 12 gauge that has killed a truck load of game. I am ready to shoot my latest project I have an old cva  hawkins tha I had not shot in ten years.so  I planed  the cheek piece off, thinned though the lock area sanded the stock down, I stained the stock with kiwi oxblood shoe polish [it is different] took the barrel to a friend who has a lathe we cut it at 17"  squared it and crowned the muzzle I cut a dove tail for the front sight today  I am ready to try it. if it doesn't group  I'll try to make a smooth bore out of it.  you can't hardly give a sidelock away in this area so I aint lost anything and had some fun
Roy
P.S. I don't have anything against  inlines muzzle loading is about doing it with a traditional style gun to me  If it seriously about killing a deer  I'd buy a nef huntsman today  I'm in the stage where I enjoy the woods , if a critter thats in season walks by I may take the shot or I might take a pic. some times I just hate to ruin the quiet
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2007, 01:29:15 PM »
If you ever want to sell that  cva trapper shotgun, i'd be very interested! I wanted one of those since the first time i saw it in an old magazine. Of course when that magazine was made, i was just being born lol. Shame they still dont make them  :-\

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2007, 01:52:11 PM »
thanks for the offer but I think I'll keep it  I have the early one with the screw in chokes  bought it in 1990  with my tax check. It has harvested many grey  squirrels [200+] several rabbits, doves, a load of #4 buck ended a 60 lbs pigs garden robbing days  and 5 turkeys with 4 shots  It has earned its place on the gun rack
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2007, 02:38:14 PM »
wow! Sounds like it's been an excellent shooting shotgun. Good luck with it and put lots more small game on the table.

Offline Bluehawk

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2007, 02:00:48 PM »
I have two CVA Kentucky rifles...one I built from a kit back in 1980 the other I traded for a few years ago. Both have the 1:66 twist in .45 caliber.
The 1980 model I won several blackpowder matches with and today it's been modifified by having the barrel shortened and turned half-round half-octagon with the stock shortened also. The problem is the guy that shortened the barrel lost the drum and I havent replaced it yet...it's the long piece model that screws all the way into the opposite side of the barrel.
Both rifles have always been highly accurate.
I also have a CVA Colonial pistol circa 1982 or so and a Kentucky pistol thats being worked on....barrel is chewed up on the muzzle end and I can not find the spare one I had when I moved..aggravating!!!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2007, 02:41:21 PM »
Welcome to GBO, Bluehawk!! I replaced a CVA drum a couple years ago that was like the one you described, with a conventional drum from Dixie, works fine.

Tim

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=5800
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2007, 04:24:51 PM »
    I have a 1977 kit CVA Mountain rifle 1 in 66, 32" barrel. I haven't shot it in years, maybe time to get it out and make some smoke! Years ago I took a couple nice bucks out to 150yrds, .50 cal pacthed round ball 120grs. FF. Come to think of it that old gun shot as fast as most of these newer inlines do.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline BigLost

• was I wrong?no,,,mistaken
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2007, 11:41:27 AM »
Hey Eye!!YOU HAVE A CVA MOUNTAIN RIFLE THAT OLD AND DON'T SHOOT IT!!!!!!!!I have been wantin' another sooo bad!!!,,and here you have one you don't shoot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT TO RETIRE IT TO A NEW HOME :o :o :o :'( :'( :'(
If You Knew Me Like I Know Me,,You Wouldn't Like Me Either

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2007, 02:54:03 PM »
Those Mountain rifles are fun guns. I bought a deercreek Mountain rifle kit off the net and built it. One heck of a great shooter.

Anyone know what size thread the nipple uses? All the nipples from cva will not fit. Just to give you an idea of the size, i used one from my classic arms neworleans ace derringer.