Author Topic: Can I shoot a rifle barrel on my shotgun frame?  (Read 650 times)

Offline TX-Hunter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
    • Wildcat Outdoors
Can I shoot a rifle barrel on my shotgun frame?
« on: February 15, 2007, 03:23:28 AM »
Of course I know i can't.... ;)

So....

What about one of those pistol calliber adapters for the 12ga. would that be the same as shooting a rifle barrel on the shotgun frame?  What I was thinking of doing was getting a 9mm adapter for my Topper 88.  Then it hit me that I may not be able to.  I'm no expert, but it seems that 9mm shouldn't have too much more pressure than a 12ga.

What about the .22LR adapter?

What do yall think?

Thanks.

God prefers spiritual fruit, not religious nuts.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Can I shoot a rifle barrel on my shotgun frame?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 03:42:49 AM »
Don't dismiss it completely, many here shoot .357 Mag barrels (not Max !!!) on shotgun frames and some shoot .223 barrels off them also, at least one here shot his 45/70 barrel off a 12 gauge for quite a while until he found out it was not the best thing to do (I won't mention you name buddy ;D). Firing centerfire rifle barrels off of shotgun frames is not approved by the company but done with care and if not using excessivley hot loads in properly fitting frame/barrel combinations I myself have done it and see no major problems. One problem sometimes encountered is pierced primers or metal from the primer flowing back into the firing pin hole, this is a result of the larger firing pins and firing pin holes on shotgun frames. I do suggest you either check the H&R/NEF list of accessory barrels to see which barrels (calibers) are what they call high intensity calibers, those marked with an asterick in the list.  You could also run any possible caliber by the group here, since there are occaisionally errors on the H&R site. Better still do both, someone here is bound to have made any mistake or gone through the throws of what you plan already and will most likely be willing to offer an opinion or some expierence, and everyone here knows there is no shortage of opinions on this site, opinions here are challanged only by the amount of available expierenece. Jusdt think, if H&R/NEF would just listen to the guys here they would double thier business in just a couple of years. As far as the chamber adapters go the 9mm, .22 LR or .22 Mag are all fine and are safe in any H&R/NEF shotgun, your good to go with them if that is what you want to do, but I myself find them to be a pain and after a while not worth the trouble, oops!, there is one of those opinions!!!! Best of luck and please keep us updated on what you do, by sharing we all learn here, Thanks....<><.... ;D
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline TX-Hunter

• Avid Poster
    • Wildcat Outdoors
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 03:46:40 AM »
, but I myself find them to be a pain and after a while not worth the trouble, oops!, there is one of those opinions!!!!....<><.... ;D

Do you have any adapters you wanna unload?

Thanks for the info. 

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 04:23:43 AM »
The only one I have left, and it's from many years ago, is a Savage .410'er for my 16 gauge. It is in great shape with the box and all the papers and I have been told it's a collectible antique, how could that be? I bought it new....<><.... ;D ;D ;D

I just remembered I also have a Colt Ace Conversion unit to shoot .22's out of my .45's, but that's not for sale either, sorry....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline TX-Hunter

• Avid Poster
    • Wildcat Outdoors
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 04:25:35 AM »
well pooey, i don't have a 16 ga.

i'll have to get one from MC ACE.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 04:29:39 AM »
Oops, hope I did not mislead you, and just so no one else thinks the 16/.410 adapter is available it is not for sale, I hope I did not give that impresssion....<><.... ;)

Offline TX-Hunter

• Avid Poster
    • Wildcat Outdoors
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 04:34:16 AM »
you bought it new and now it is an antique!  how did that happen? ;D ;D ;D

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 05:38:54 AM »
Here is a pressure list that Tim shared with me. It's nice to save in your bookmarks for later reference and hopefully can be of use to you.
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/saami_pressures.htm

I don't see why a 9mm wouldn't work, as far as pressures go. Unless something horendus happened ???

-Aaron

Offline TX-Hunter

• Avid Poster
    • Wildcat Outdoors
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 05:42:22 AM »
good info.  thanks