Author Topic: patterning survivor  (Read 485 times)

Offline sachel.45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
patterning survivor
« on: February 17, 2007, 09:30:23 AM »
I'm gonna pattern my survivor but i'd like to know what size target i should use i've heard it said that a 30" target at 40 yards is good but i want to pattern at 25 yards and i've got like 6 boxes of diffrent loads so the easyer the better. would like a 10" paper plate work? this is mainly just my kicking around gun so it will probably be used for rabbits and grouse. thanks
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline RugerNo3

• Avid Poster
Re: patterning survivor
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 12:01:20 PM »
The main object of patterning is to find where the heaviest concentration of shot is concentrated. A bullseye is necessary and perhaps a 5ft dia of target for each shot. You determine where the greatest concentration of shot is in relation to the bullseye. Same as grouping from an unsighted in rifle. You then have to physically move the front bead or use "Kentucky Windage" to ascertain your aiming point for your hunting purposes. This is true patterning and paper plates don't get it, just a lot of fun for nothing. Depends on how serious you want to get with it.
"Use a big enough gun!"

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 03:34:50 PM »
If this were a serious exercise in testing and evaluating different ammo and chokes Id say to build a serious pattern board and use a 30" circle, but for a kicking around gun that is going to be carried alot more than it is shot a parer plate should suffice. What guage is it? Choke?
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 06:12:09 AM »
not nearly that serious. its a .410 the web site says modified. thanks
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 10:51:10 AM »
For a 410 i would use a 10" paper plate at 40 feet . with that small of a shot load and short of a barrel you will not have much if any of a pattern at 25 yards . also the 2 1/2" shells have been reported to pattern best in the 410 , the 3" seem to shoot holes in the pattern .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped