Author Topic: Spotting scope help  (Read 436 times)

Offline Eagle Eye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Spotting scope help
« on: February 19, 2007, 07:54:11 AM »
I am in need of a spotting scope for range use and it might get some use hunting as well.  I want the best value for the dollar, not the best product.  Zeiss is out since I don't wish to invest $2000 in one.  I have looked at several scopes but in store tests don't do a product justice.  I liked the Leupold Wind River Sequoia 15-45x60mm kit...it seemed like a decent product with good optics.  Any products suggestions?  Anyone use a Celestron spotter?  I have heard they are the best value for the money but never heard of them before. 

Thanks in advance. 

Offline PlacitasSlim

• Avid Poster
Re: Spotting scope help
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 09:47:56 AM »
I have had that Leupold for about a year now and have been happy with it.

Offline Eagle Eye

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 05:11:55 AM »
Thanks Slim...I am off this morning to buy one.

I must say though, I am disappointed by the lack of other responses. I always thought forums were an exchange of ideas.

Offline mattinPA

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 12:24:31 PM »
I use a alpen that I got at dunhams for 129.00 They let me take each spoting scopes outside and after looking at ones that cost more and less then the alpen. The alpen looked to be the best.

I have droped this scope 2times from 5ft on concrete >:(   It still works great.

good luck
matt

Offline The Sodbuster

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 03:58:06 PM »
I bought a Redhead 20-60 X 60mm.  I believe it's the exact same scope as the Trekker of the same magnification and objective diameter.  Around $150 when I bought it.  I probably would have been just as well off with a 15-45X scope.  In cheaper optics, such as mine, with only a 60mm lens, at 60 power it's a pretty dim image.  I usually have to go down to 45-50X to get a better view of the detail.