Author Topic: Winchester Apex  (Read 1345 times)

Offline jmckinley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Winchester Apex
« on: February 20, 2007, 02:45:38 AM »
 ;D I know this is a CVA area but, the Apex is made by the same outfit. Yesterday i finally picked up a new Apex from Sportsmans Warehouse and what a good value for this rifle $ 180.00 for it out the door, I still can't make my mind up on what scope to mount on this rifle. Do u have any suggestions? I will take it to the range this weekend and see how the rifle shoots. I'll post as soon I am finished. I do know this rifle fells soild and if shoots as good as it feels then i'  be in tall cotton.  Jess :o :o
Jess

Offline mangulator

• Contributor
Re: Winchester Apex
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 04:22:17 AM »
Congratulation on your new rifle. If, your are from a state that allows magnification on muzzleloaders I would go with a 3X9 but it depends on the type of hunting you intend to do.  I like Bushnell scopes and I heard a lot of good things about Mueller Scopes. I found my Kodiak Pro Magnum really likes Power Belt Bullets with Pyrodex RS powder and W-W 209 primers.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 08:28:53 AM »

I've seen them...and they look like nice rifles...so..congrats on getting one...I went a little over board with my scope...I used a 6x24x44 S&W mil-dot my first time out with my Elite..so...I don't think you want to go that route...but...a good scope capable of being able to see out to 250-300 yards is in order...These rifles are more than capable of shooting that far...as I have been finding out...It should be clear & bright...give lots of eye relief and hold up well...There's a bunch of low priced scopes around..and same for mid-priced scopes...I'm a big fan of the Leupold scopes as everyone knows...and I don't think it is a bad choice to use one..They cost more..but to me they are worth the extra dollars for one...I'll wind up with a VX-1...either 3x9 or 4x12 on mine when it's all said and done...and probably will have there long range reticle in it...I am sure other will chime in and give their preferences...So...If possible...look thru them before you pay for it...See if you like it first...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline jmckinley

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 06:45:21 AM »
I decided to put a W :eaver K4 on my rifle for the huntinh i do here in NM it will work great. The scope is simple, rugged and clear. Plus it's a scope I have on hand. The average shot at Elk where I like to hunt is under 50 yards. I like the higher magnification but economy has a bit to do with it as well. When my $$$ clear up a little i'l put the 3-x40 Mueller Sport Dot on if the 4X doesn't work out I'll put a 3-10X44 Mueller Sportdot on the rifle. Jess :o :o
Jess

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 07:28:42 AM »

The K-4's are good scopes...and should do well for a 50 yard shot...I've owned a few of them before...and was pleased with them for clarity...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline jmckinley

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 07:07:30 AM »

The K-4's are good scopes...and should do well for a 50 yard shot...I've owned a few of them before...and was pleased with them for clarity...

Mac
Mac I figure this is a 200 yard rifle and the 4x should work fine, if it doesn't i'll re-group. I have 3 of them at this time. Jess
Jess