Author Topic: Zumbo on Nugent web site  (Read 3026 times)

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
Zumbo on Nugent web site
« on: February 22, 2007, 06:56:18 AM »
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline Danegeld

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Zumbo on Nugent web site
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 09:06:38 AM »
...The last few days have been an educational experience, to say the least. My ill-conceived inflammatory blog, as all of you now know, set off a firestorm that, I’m told, has never before been equaled. I’m not proud of that.
Let me say this at the outset. My words here are from the heart, and all mine. No one can censor me, and I answer to no one but myself. And I have no one to blame but myself. Outdoor Life, a magazine that I worked for full-time as Hunting Editor for almost 30 years, fired me yesterday. My TV show was cancelled yesterday. Many of my sponsors have issued statements on their website to sever all relationships. This may cause many of you to do backflips and dance in the streets, but, of course, I’m not laughing, nor am I looking for sympathy. I don’t want a pity party.

They say hindsight is golden. Looking back, I can’t believe I said the words “ban” and “terrorist” in the context that I did. I don’t know what I was thinking when I wrote that. I can explain this as sheer ignorance and an irresponsible use of words. What I’ve learned over the last few days has enlightened and amazed me. As a guy who hunts 200 days a year, does seminars on hunting, wrote for six hunting magazines, had a hunting TV show, and wrote 20 books on hunting, how could I have been so ignorant and out of touch with reality in the world of hunting and shooting?

But I was. I really can’t explain it, maybe because I just summarily dismissed the firearms in question in my mind when I saw them in magazines and catalogs. I saw one “black” firearm in a hunting camp in all my 50 years of hunting, and I shot one last year off a boat when fishing in Alaska. To tell the truth, it was fun and I enjoyed it immensely, but I never considered one for use in hunting. I have to tell you that I have had a revelation. I’m learning that many of my pals own AR-15’s and similar firearms and indeed use them for hunting. I was totally unaware that they were being used for legitimate hunting purposes. That is the absolute truth.

My biggest regret is not the financial impact of all this. I’m almost 67 and retirement is an option. The dreadful impact here is that I inadvertently struck a spear into the hearts of the people I love most…America’s gun owners. And, even though this huge cadre of dedicated people have succeeded in stripping me of my career, I hold no grudges. I will continue to stand as firm on pro hunting as I’ve ever done. But what’s different now is that I’ll do all I can to educate others who are, or were, as ignorant as I was about “black” rifles and the controversy that surrounds them. My promise to you is that I’ll learn all I can about these firearms, and by the time this week is out, I’ll order one. The NUGE has invited me to hunt with him using AR-15’s, and I’m eager to go, and learn. I’ll do all I can to spread the word.

I understand that many of you will not accept this apology, believing that the damage has been done and there’s no way to repair it. You have that right. But let me say this. I mentioned this above, and I’ll repeat it. I’m willing to seize this opportunity to educate hunters and shooters who shared my ignorance. If you’re willing to allow me to do that, we can indeed, in my mind, form a stronger bond within our ranks. Maybe in a roundabout way we can bring something good out of this.

Jim Zumbo

IP: Logged...

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 09:22:32 AM »
I tried to join the forum there using three different email addresses, Hotmail, Juno and Yahoo. It said all three places was banned >:( Must not want members very badly.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 09:30:50 AM »
I would be willing to accept his apology as we all make mistakes but the sad part is the anti gun folks are already using his words against us which  makes it  pretty hard to accept his appology when this happened at such a time the Democrats have put more anti gun bills in congress expecially a anti - assault bill. Wanting to learn about them now and teaching others may be fine but it is a little late I think as the damage has been done giving the anti's more fuel to the fire.

Offline Don Fischer

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 09:43:09 AM »
He has been solidly in our corner for 40 some years. Now he made a huge mistake. I think we need to think more about damage control than hanging him. Even with his huge blunder, who's side do you want him on?
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline JoeG52

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 09:56:11 AM »
He still says..."I was totally unaware that they were being used for legitimate hunting purposes" like hunting is the only legitimate purpose. That 'apology' is not accepted. He still has a lot to learn.

Offline WylieKy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 10:04:56 AM »

But I was. I really can’t explain it, maybe because I just summarily dismissed the firearms in question in my mind when I saw them in magazines and catalogs. I saw one “black” firearm in a hunting camp in all my 50 years of hunting, and I shot one last year off a boat when fishing in Alaska. To tell the truth, it was fun and I enjoyed it immensely, but I never considered one for use in hunting. I have to tell you that I have had a revelation. I’m learning that many of my pals own AR-15’s and similar firearms and indeed use them for hunting. I was totally unaware that they were being used for legitimate hunting purposes. That is the absolute truth.

I hate liars.  If you were "unaware that they were being used for legitimate hunting purposes" then why would you spend the time and effort of writing a blog to demonize them and want to ban them from "field and woods?"  His blog states nothing about them being used illegitimately, he plain does not like the image they represent and underestimated the support they would receive.  I respected his position, although I disagreed with it.  Now I consider him to be either stupid (which I do not believe he is) or a liar that thinks we are stupid enough to buy this PC (our version) drivel.

WylieKy
This that I do, I do by my own free will.

Offline Sheila

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 10:43:45 AM »
Like the old syaing goes, think before you speak. I mean, what did he think was going to happen when he said those things?
[

United we stand against Ovomit.

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 11:09:35 AM »
He has been solidly in our corner for 40 some years. Now he made a huge mistake. I think we need to think more about damage control than hanging him. Even with his huge blunder, who's side do you want him on?

Mistake?I don't think it was,I think those were his true feelings and beliefs.I've hunted for 36 years,never used or owned an AR-15 and even I know better than to make the statement that he did,as I've known for many years that they were being used by some to hunt with.You can't tell me a guy that hunts 200days a year and in all his travels and taks with real hunters in his siminars not one has mentioned hunting with a 'black"rifle?Come on.
 People that are in the publics eye are,and should be held to the highest standard,he failed in my mind!
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 11:55:13 AM »
A man's reputation is built on many acts and destroyed by one. 
 The man has earned a good, no excellent, living for at least 30 years by his numbers.  On the shooting industries nickle.  He has gone on exotic hunts to the four corners of the earth.  Hunts that the folks that are footing the bill (you and I) can only dream about.  He took the trips, he took the money and he also, like it or not, became a noted spokesperson for you and I. For all legal shooters.  Oops don't hardly get it.
I'll not accept his apology.  I think he needs to issue a strong statement to the effect that he was high on cough syrup, or whatever, and deny in the strongest words possible that his stupid, ill informed, asinine words are his real feelings.
And then retire.  Retire from writing, appearences, or anything to do with the shooting industry. And be very ashamed of the cruel blow he has struck.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 02:20:45 PM »
The damage he did cannot be undone, a mere apology is of no help in making that harm go away. I'll not forgive or forget so easily.

I don't have any personal interest in most of those "black rifles" either for my personal use. But I've hunted with folks who did use them have attended shoots where they were in use and see the joy they bring to many. I'm NOT opposed to them in any way. Hell they are really what the Second Amendment is all about not our hunting gungs really and that's what I'm a supporter of is the Second Amendment.

Zumbo failed to understand that and lost his career as a result. He deserves what he got and to let him back up and back into the industry would in my opinion be a gross mistake for us and a huge boon for the anti's. It's time for him to retire and be forgotten.

I was able to register and was sent a password but on that site you cannot post until an admin looks at and approves your membership. We'll see if that happens. If so, it should be interesting when I post my comments against Zumbo. I'm betting that since the site owner is supporting him and trying to save his career my post won't be allowed to stay if my registration is even approved. That I was able to register with my standard user name of Graybeard says a lot about the age of the audience there. There were over 28 pages of comments on the thread.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 03:46:42 PM »
When I tried to register earlier GB there were 14 pages and about in 10 min there were 16 pages. They said they do not take any free accounts like hotmail or yahoo so I tried my Juno account and that still would not work so I emailed them back and told them so. Not sure if they will reply to that or not. If not I will have to resend a email again I guess.

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 03:57:39 PM »
A man's reputation is built on many acts and destroyed by one. 
 The man has earned a good, no excellent, living for at least 30 years by his numbers.  On the shooting industries nickle.  He has gone on exotic hunts to the four corners of the earth.  Hunts that the folks that are footing the bill (you and I) can only dream about.  He took the trips, he took the money and he also, like it or not, became a noted spokesperson for you and I. For all legal shooters.  Oops don't hardly get it.
I'll not accept his apology.  I think he needs to issue a strong statement to the effect that he was high on cough syrup, or whatever, and deny in the strongest words possible that his stupid, ill informed, asinine words are his real feelings.
And then retire.  Retire from writing, appearences, or anything to do with the shooting industry. And be very ashamed of the cruel blow he has struck.

I agree completely.  I've always wondered how these guys get chosen to write and be "professional this or that".  You can bet every other guy out there that was heavily sponsored is in shock I'm sure.  Certainly they're watching what they say and write.  I do feel, however, that all gun owners need to take this inspired response and follow through with their law makers to stop another assault weapons ban.

Offline Guy Pike

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 04:53:18 PM »
I am reminded of when a lawyer says something and the judge instructs the lawyer to disregard tha last remark. The lawyer knew that the judge would respond that way, and he new that once the jury heard it, they had it in their heads. Never underestimate the power of idiots in large numbers!
You can't beat a Cerberus!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 06:29:52 PM »
My comments as posted on Nugent's site:

I'm sorry Jim but I'm NOT going to go easy on you as I don't feel you deserve it to be brutally honest. I'm the owner of a Shooting, Hunting, Fishing Outdoor website with a membership over 20,000 and you have been a hot topic there of late. So hot tempers flared and good folks said things they knew better than to. I've deleted most of the threads as a result.

Here tho in general are my personal remarks from my own site adjusted now as I'm speaking directly to you not about you as I was at my site:

"The damage you did cannot be undone, a mere apology is of no help in making that harm go away. I'll not forgive or forget so easily.

I don't have any personal interest in most of those "black rifles" either for my personal use. But I've hunted with folks who did use them have attended shoots where they were in use and seen the joy they bring to many. I'm NOT opposed to them in any way. Hell they are really what the Second Amendment is all about not our hunting gungs really and that's what I'm a supporter of is the Second Amendment.

Jim you failed to understand that and lost your career as a result. You deserve what you're getting and to let you back up and back into the industry would in my opinion be a gross mistake for us and a huge boon for the anti's. It's time for you to retire and be forgotten."

Additional thoughts I'll add here are:

We're not back in the days of our youth Jim, yes I'm from the same era as you, you don't get to call vinchers-slippiance and do it over. Not now, not in this world we now live in.

A man's reputation is built on a series of actions and comments over a life time BUT can be destroyed by one.

Your one is now reverberating thru the halls of all the antigun organizations. Sarah Brady has already made you her poster child and now says that since you are on their side they feel confident of winning this next round. That sir is why I cannot and will not forgive and forget. An apology from you cannot erase the gross harm your words have caused me and all other gun owners in this country.

Let us forget for one moment the context of your comments. Let's forget you said you saw no reason for them as hunting tools. As mentioned I personally have no use for one as MY hunting tool either but know others do and so support their right to use them if that's what gives them pleasure. That after all for a little while longer is THE AMERICAN WAY.

BUT what cannot be forgotten is how you villified the guns, how you called for their removal even from use by US Citizens. Is that not really what you said? Sarah thinks you did. Sadly I do too.

The Second Amendment to the US Constitution is NOT about hunting. You of all people should have KNOW that Jim. What it is all about is exactly that black rifle you so vilified. It's about our RIGHT no OUR DUTY to keep and bare arms in defense of our country from enemies within and without. Our fore fathers knew better than to trust big government and today we're beginning to see first hand why. They put that Amendment in there exactly for that black rifle they had no clue would ever exist so that we the ARMED CITIZENRY could and would have the weapons of war needed if it ever comes down to us having to fight those folks who are governing us and to put them back on the right track, the track to Constitutional Government using the precepts so eloquently stated in the US Constitution.

I'll end this and get off my soap box with one last comment, a quote from one of the users of my website:

"I'll not accept his apology.  I think he needs to issue a strong statement to the effect that he was high on cough syrup, or whatever, and deny in the strongest words possible that his stupid, ill informed, asinine words are his real feelings.
And then retire.  Retire from writing, appearences, or anything to do with the shooting industry. And be very ashamed of the cruel blow he has struck."

All I can add is my AMEN. Good bye Jim, it was a good long run you've had and for most of it I enjoyed your writing but it's over due to the fault of no one but yourself. Slide peacefully into retirement and try not to harm us anymore than you already have. Please.

I'll not condemn you from hiding. I post who I am and where I can be located below, not to pull anyone altho most (not all) are welcome there but in case anyone wants to know who it is that is refusing to let it rest so easily as Ted would have us do.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2007, 07:01:24 PM »
Very well said Bill. (GB)    Jim

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2007, 07:04:45 PM »
I am reminded of when a lawyer says something and the judge instructs the lawyer to disregard tha last remark. The lawyer knew that the judge would respond that way, and he new that once the jury heard it, they had it in their heads. Never underestimate the power of idiots in large numbers!

Uh so who you calling an idiot?  I hope not the thousands of folks who were outraged by Zumbo's comments and had the guts to say something about it.  >:(

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 08:24:31 PM »
Whats not to be understood by the comment JH????
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2007, 12:16:31 AM »
Personally, I think all this talk is giving more fodder to the anti's than doing good.
They will just refer to them and say "see what I am talking about when I say gun nuts."
I kinda understood what and where he was coming from though the comments were very off the wall and certainly not well thought out.
He said such in a couple of places.
He is done--stick a fork in him or a pitchfork, he is done.
I find no place for a .50bmg hunting but I would love to own one too shoot. I really can't see shooting one from a deer stand--enclosed or way up in a tree.
Sniper rifles are about in the same league---I can't see shooting at anything at 1500 meters. Lordy, that would cross over someone somewhere along the line.
.223 rifles would hardly be my choice for a deer rifle.
I would like to own all and shoot all but some are just not all that suitable for game.
Anywho--just my thoughts.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Guy Pike

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2007, 01:43:19 AM »
The idiots are the anti's and the people who sit idly by assuming that we few will not let the bad things happen. Sorry if that wasn't clear. Now for the real question; Who paid him to make that staement? Find this person or organization and the truth will start to emerge. Everyman has his price. Zumbo got his.
You can't beat a Cerberus!

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2007, 02:07:19 AM »
Why would anyone feel sorry for this guy. The people who choose to hunt with traditional type muzzleloaders  ( cap lock and flintlock ) were treated the same way by this man only a couple of years ago.  Zumbo was endorsing a certain brand of inline ML's and from that day forward traditional guns had no place in his woods. According to him , they were inaccurate ,underpowered wounders of game animals whose only place was hanging on a wall. I knew then that this guy was no good and would always take the "politicly correct " or more profitable ,for him , side of any issue.As I stated then and so say again ," Zumbo couldn't tell black powder from fly s***. It was only a matter of time till the gun owners of America  saw the real Zumbo.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2007, 02:26:20 AM »
well said bill.   the thing i cant believe is nuge is siding with this guy....i guess the power of the dollar means more to him than the rights he preaches about.   

the important thing here is,  hunting is used to blur the issue or gun ownership.  saying something has no use for hunting makes it bad in the general public's eye; when the FACT is that hunting is really a non essential by-product related to guns.  gun ownership is far more important than hunting is. 

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2007, 03:47:06 AM »
i dunno...i have a hard time believing that Nugent is bowing to the dollar. he has not wavered much, if at all, for a lot of years and has lost some credibility to some of his own crowd (rockers and fans) by literally- sticking to his guns.

my take on it is that Zumbo DID mean what he said...the fact that he is trying to patch it up does not overshadow the fact that he said we should ban them FROM the fields he didn't know they were IN. Can someone else join me in a good loud, "Huh??"

the man created his own problem and ended his own career- I agree with GB that he should just fade as honorable men do when they are faced with this kind of situation. Not that his behavior was honorable, but he should behave in that manner.

i think Nuge is trying to make something good out of a bad situation- admirable but i think he should just allow Zumbo to fade as well.

put it this way, if a congressman made a comment about hating black people, and then suddenly apologized only when a firestorm ended his career, and then a PR guy set him up with gigs all over the place hanging out with black people...would that seem like the thing to do? to OVER-do it to try to show the opposite of what the man already stated was his belief? you can plug anything into the formula, not just AR's or black people- hell, to me, a 180 turn about PEANUT BUTTER would enough to make me wonder about someone's integrity. and integrity is what we need from someone who is holding a rifle in a nationally distributed magazine.

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2007, 11:50:25 AM »
Well fellows I have never been a Zumbo fan. Just didn't care for his personality and style. Retirement is probably his best option. However "uncle ted" in my opinion is a poor spoksman for the fireams industry also. I know he has influence with a certain crowd but I usually just turn him off. I don't really want to listen to his drivel. To each his own I guess.  ;D Regards, Byron
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2007, 03:53:01 AM »
Pastorp, I'm with you on that one.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline Brett

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2007, 04:19:41 AM »
Well fellows I have never been a Zumbo fan. Just didn't care for his personality and style. Retirement is probably his best option. However "uncle ted" in my opinion is a poor spoksman for the fireams industry also. I know he has influence with a certain crowd but I usually just turn him off. I don't really want to listen to his drivel. To each his own I guess.  ;D Regards, Byron

Ditto

The "Nuge" might be a heck of a Guitar player but he's also a goof ball.  I once watched the bonehead take a chunk out of his own leg with a chain saw by accident while doing his tough guy routine on his TV show.   I agree with a lot of what he says but stupid antics like the aforementioned don't exactly convey the image of a "responsible gun owner" that is desirable.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Brett

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2007, 05:10:17 AM »
Right Brett....Nuge is entertaining, but he's alot like Howard Stern being the poster spokesman for the Freedom of Speech.

....TM7

:o
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline WylieKy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2007, 03:05:03 PM »
my take on it is that Zumbo DID mean what he said...the fact that he is trying to patch it up does not overshadow the fact that he said we should ban them FROM the fields he didn't know they were IN. Can someone else join me in a good loud, "Huh??"

-Matt

I hate liars.  If you were "unaware that they were being used for legitimate hunting purposes" then why would you spend the time and effort of writing a blog to demonize them and want to ban them from "field and woods?"  His blog states nothing about them being used illegitimately, he plain does not like the image they represent and underestimated the support they would receive.  I respected his position, although I disagreed with it.  Now I consider him to be either stupid (which I do not believe he is) or a liar that thinks we are stupid enough to buy this PC (our version) drivel.

WylieKy

Right there with you Matt.  >:(

I would like to say that I understand where Mr. Zumbo was coming from, although I disagree.  He was afraid that the negative connotations associated with "assault rifles" would have the potential to negatively affect the hunting community.  Kind of the way you avoid leaving gut piles in public places or riding around with a carcass on display.  It is easy to turn a "neutral" into an "anti-hunter."  However, for a professional word-smith, he bungled the job.  His verbiage and timing, if accidental, prove him to be a buffoon, and a dangerous buffoon at that.  Then he out and out lies to try to cover up his original intent.  His best bet would be to retire on the fat bankroll he probably has, and try to maintain what dignity he has left.

WylieKy

This that I do, I do by my own free will.

Offline NONYA

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2007, 08:04:55 PM »
"Kind of the way you avoid leaving gut piles in public places or riding around with a carcass on display"                              Not in my state,a truck bed full of elk or deer is like a set of chrome rims around here,everybody gets a look,if they dont like it they can move back to whatever berg they sprung from.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline oso45-70

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2007, 06:33:26 AM »
"Kind of the way you avoid leaving gut piles in public places or riding around with a carcass on display"                              Not in my state,a truck bed full of elk or deer is like a set of chrome rims around here,everybody gets a look,if they dont like it they can move back to whatever berg they sprung from.

Nonya

With the Democrats waiting in the wings to spring their Anti Gun - Anti Hunting tactics and demolish our 2nd amendment rights I don't think your post will go over too good. In my opinion a person on the outside looking in would be swayed to go along with the Anti group. With all the bad press we have received in the last few days there is no reason to throw gas on an already burning flame. I understand your feelings about what was said but think you could have used a little more tact in your post. We are all under the gun when it comes to our rights as sportsmen and owners of firearms, We don't know who all is looking in on our posts.
I think we all have a duty not to destroy our image more than has already been done.......Joe........
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain