Author Topic: Wood to metal fit on Ultra Varmint  (Read 658 times)

Offline Paflyfisher

• Trade Count: (0)
Wood to metal fit on Ultra Varmint
« on: February 23, 2007, 03:58:04 AM »
I have an Ultra Varmint in .223 with the cinammon laminate stock. I was wondering if the wood, where the stock meets the receiver, could be trimed down. The rifle I have has 3/16" - 1/4" of "extra" wood the whole way around. It doesn't effect the accuracy, it just looks bad. I'm new to the board and apologize if this has been covered.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
Re: Wood to metal fit on Ultra Varmint
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 05:39:49 AM »
Yah they are all kind of bulky especialy there.
Shouldn't hurt just don't go deeper than flush with reciever.
There's not a lot of metal to fit agianst.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 03:41:09 PM »
Paflyfisher

It is very poor stock making practice to go flush with the metal. Or worse yet to go below the metal. Leave the wood 0.025" to 0.030 high above the metal.

Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline cheatermk3

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 05:47:29 PM »
Every time I see those stocks I am filled with envy.  Nice job Fred I wish I had the patience and skill to make mine look and fit like those ones you did!

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 06:27:57 PM »
With the level of torque used to tighten the butt-stock I would be a little concerned trimming too close to the metal as the the metal is thin and the bearing stress could crush the edge of the wood. My $.02 ;D

Mc ;D

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 07:51:57 PM »
McLernen
We are talking about laminated hard wood; Douglas fir has a compressive strength of 1500psi parallel to the grain. I think the laminated hard wood is even stronger at least 1750psi. There has to be a 1/2 sq/in of metal on that receiver capable of taking 875lbs pressure.

I torque up my two rifles pretty good and never seen any sign of failure or coming loose. Besides if the wood was not strong enough the frame would dig into the end grain and splitting the wood regardless of how much wood was on the out side.

I am an old hand from the old country when it comes to wood. Had to work in my grandfather shop during the war every day after school when I was only 10 years old.  Wood had to be hauled from the sawmill with a hand cart up hill. I learnt a lot about wood working and carving at a very tender age. God bless my grand father.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline Paflyfisher

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 06:43:59 AM »
That is a great looking stock, now you have me thinking. I wondered about the spliting issue, but I don't feel it will be a problem, especially with a .223. I might reconsider if it was a 45-70.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 06:48:05 AM »
If splitting the wood was a concern, a metal spacer could always be installed in the stock to limit compression of the wood. This was discussed in a thread on wrist mounted sights on the BC at one time.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 11:16:55 AM »
If you have any concerns about the wood splitting I suggest to apply a thin layer of Brownells Steel bed on the stock recess and tighten the stock against it. Put release agent on the metal and wipe the outside clean. This will unify the wood and provide a 100% surface bearing.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.