Author Topic: 21/2 x 8 Bushnell Scopechief  (Read 1668 times)

Offline Paflyfisher

• Trade Count: (0)
21/2 x 8 Bushnell Scopechief
« on: February 23, 2007, 04:05:18 PM »
I have an older Bushnell Scopechief I wanted to mount on an extra .243 I have. I picked it up with some other items at an estate sale. Should I mount it, or just buy a mid priced scope to put on it. I've had some older Banners over the years, but not real familiar with the Scopechief. ???

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
Re: 21/2 x 8 Bushnell Scopechief
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 11:58:12 PM »
Back in the late '70's - early '80's I worked part-time at a gun shop.  I faintly remembers the ScopeChief as being a top line model.   My curiosity now raised, I pulled out some old Gun Digests, Shooters Bible's and a couple retail catalogs that the store used back then (yes, I'm a pack rat  :D).

My old catalogs only date back to the mid-1970's, with the exception of a 1962 editon of Shooters Bible.  The ScopeChief line is listed in that book. Among its features at that time is an aluminum alloy one piece tube-turret construction and cushioned lenses.  It retailed from $39.50 - $69.50.  The only other scope listed in the Bushnell line was an "All-Purpose 3X9", which retailed from $69.50-$79.50. Thats quite a bit of money back then!  :D

From what I can determine, during the late '70-early 80's era, the ScopeChief is listed as Bushnells first line scope, with the Banner running a close second.  There was two models of the Chief; a IV and V.  The ScopeChief V featured a "Lite-Site" lighted aiming point, powered by a compact long life battery and was available in 1.5X-4X; 3X-9X and 4X32. The IV model featured the "New Multi-X Reticle"  along with the standard cross-hair reticle and was available in various magnifications from a fixed 2.75 to 3X9.  Oddly, the obj. lens diameters ranged from 21mm (2.75) to 38mm (3X9).  (from 1976 Shooters Bible)

Interestingly, The 1978 Issue of Gun Digest features a scope comparison.  Upon reviewing the Scope Chief line, they mention a "new" feature called the "Rangemaster" which was later changed to "Bullet Drop Compensator". 

The last listing I can find for the ScopeChief is the 1990 edition of Gun Digest. At that time the suggested retail price ranged from $189.95 for a straight 4X to $367.95 for a 4X12.

The 2 1/2 X 8 is listed at least back to 1976 but not to 1962.  In 1988 it retailed for $189.95.

As long as the scope is functioning well, it would probably do well on the .243.  You may to place a call to Bushnell and inquire if they would take a look at it and perhaps give it a tune up. 

I hope this helps.   

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 02:39:21 AM »
One of my hunting buddies and I have Scopechiefs dating back 30 years or so.  We were just talking about them the other day - their quality and how well they have held up for so many years.  We both agree that there are a lot of fine scopes at very reasonable cost on the market today, but our old ScopeChiefs are very fine scopes and still do the job.  John Barsness spoke well of them in "Optics for the Hunter" as well, stating that the Bushnell ScopeChief evolved into the Bausch & Lomb SC, and eventually into the 3000 and 4000, (3200, 4200 Elites).
Nice writeup, EVOC ONE.  I have GD back to '73, I 'm gonna go diggin' in my old ones too.  You mentioned the Banners of that era.  I bought about 5 of them on sale because I used to start a lot of youngun's into shooting and hunting.  I still have most of those old fixed power Banners and they are still goin' strong.  There's a 4X40 used at my local gunshop.  I think I'm gonna go get that old thing today.  It deserves a good home.

Paflyfisher - Welcome to GBO!  Sorry, forgot my manners.  I think you have a fine scope there.  I'd mount it and use it.  I need to check into where I might send my oldies for repair or a "check up" , as needed also.  When I have acquired used scopes in the past, I liked to send them in and get the "goin over" just to make sure they were up to snuff, seals, gas OK, etc.  Redfield (the original Redfield) used to have a deal for about $25 where they would go over the scope thoroughly for you. 
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline Paflyfisher

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 04:05:40 AM »
I set that scope outside last night, and brought it in this morning. Wiped the "fog" off the lenses, and it was as clear as could be. That tells me it is still sealed because it was 12 deg. last night, and it didn't fog on the inside of the scope. Thanks for all the info guys, I'll mount it today, and shoot it as soon as it warms up a little.

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 01:00:14 PM »
One of my hunting buddies and I have Scopechiefs dating back 30 years or so.  We were just talking about them the other day - their quality and how well they have held up for so many years.  We both agree that there are a lot of fine scopes at very reasonable cost on the market today, but our old ScopeChiefs are very fine scopes and still do the job.  John Barsness spoke well of them in "Optics for the Hunter" as well, stating that the Bushnell ScopeChief evolved into the Bausch & Lomb SC, and eventually into the 3000 and 4000, (3200, 4200 Elites).

Great info.  I did not know how the ScopeChief evolved.  Rather impressive!

I went to a gun show today and happened to see a used ScopeChief 3X9 w/adj obj.  Based on the style of the lettering and numerals, I would place it around the 1970's.  It appeared to be in real good shape.  The asking price was $125. 

Paflyfisher: I forgot my manners as well.  Welcome!  :D   Best wishes on the scope.  It sounds like you may have a winner there.