Author Topic: 6mm jackets from 22 mag cases  (Read 963 times)

Offline stever

• Trade Count: (0)
    • 303 British DOT com
6mm jackets from 22 mag cases
« on: February 25, 2007, 01:18:42 PM »
Has anyone done this?

I make 224 bullets from RF cases right now and have about 4,000 of the mag cases and 6mm bullet dies.  It looks like heavier bullets are the ticket unless you were to trim the cases.  They measure .990 before unfolding the rims.  I was thinking about a 95 grain OT.

Any thoughts?

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 6mm jackets from 22 mag cases
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 02:14:05 PM »
Thoughts: --if the jackets are not brass they shouldn't be used. --- you can get a trim die for RF jackets that can trim them to almost any length you want. --- It's a real simple matter to widen .22RF jackets to be used for 6mm. --- make sure your .224 bullet dies can handle the longer jackets. 8)

Offline stever

• Trade Count: (0)
    • 303 British DOT com
Re: 6mm jackets from 22 mag cases
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 02:26:50 PM »
Good timing on this.  I was about to pack things in for the night.

Corbin has a jacket making die that's designed for 22 mag cases.   I got these cases for nothing and wouldn't have bothered had they not been made of the std brass.  I was hoping that someone had done this before me and had a recomendation for a weight.   The process will be the same as for the 22LR cases. 

I'll likely make something in the 100 grain range.  Buying a jacket making die for $130 is cheaper (and more fun) than buying 4,000 6mm jackets.  I'm looking at a little over $30 a thousand for them.  Can't beat that!