Author Topic: I shot my 30 06 today  (Read 1462 times)

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
I shot my 30 06 today
« on: February 25, 2007, 03:04:22 PM »
Well the Elite has fell over 3 or 4 times out of the seat in the Blazer and I thought I'd check the zero again. The first 2 landed side by side about 1/2 " apart and then I tried some 150 gr. BT"s that I knew what the load was. It shot a nice little 1" group off the hood at 100 yds. and about 1" lower than the other 2.( I think they were 165 gr. BT's with a near max load of IMR 4350. The 150's were loaded with 59 grs. of IMR 4350. I guess the 3.8 X 12 Simons Atec is tougher than I thought since it was still 3" high at 100 yds. with the 165's. Then I jumped back in the truck and went back to hunting the hogs.Recoil was next to nothiing compared to my Wby. Vangaurd in 30 06. It just shoved straight back with no muzzle climb,and I was shooting free recoil.I'm really starting to take a liken to this little rifle. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline De41mag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • De41mag@aol.com
Re: I shot my 30 06 today
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 05:38:46 PM »
Sounds like these CVA's and SPR's are going to put hurt on the H&R's and NEF's.
I know one thing... once you shoot a single shot  your hooked.
My first single shot was a H&R but the time I spent with the HR was bitter sweet.
I really enjoyed the shooting of the one shot at a time, but trying to find a load for the Handi really soured me. I had to find another single shot to get that enjoyment I so wanted.
So Great shooting Digger with that CVA. These guns will be at the next PD shoot come June.
I can't wait!  ;D

Dennis  ;)

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 08:28:14 AM »
I shot my 30 06 today

And I shot it yesterday. It was a pussycat compared to My Weatherby Vanguard in 30-06. That recoil pad on the CVA is really a dream come true. I was worried that such a light gun may be hard on the shoulder with a heavy recoiling round like the '06. Wrong! I'd say that it should be much nicer that an NEF for shooting such calibers as .308, .270, 7-08, and even the venerable 45-70. The "compact" gun that Digger has handled the '06 round comfortably and with little muzzle lift just like he said. I also shot one of the Hornady Light Magnum rounds with a 165 grain bullet and while it was definitely a little stouter it still was much easier on the shoulder than one of the Light Magnums with a 150 SST bullet in my Vanguard. As far as the "compact" Elite goes, I think it's the perfect size. Me and Digger ain't no small lightweight boys and we both like the way it shoulders lightning fast and the way it has just the right cheek weld when scoping a target, which is done mighty fast as well. It's the perfect carry gun and that "Claw" sling is the berries man! I'm sold on the compacts and they're cheaper too. All the same accessory barrels can be added as on any other Elite too.

Here's some links on the Claw slings.

http://www.quakeinc.com/sling.html

http://www.quakeinc.com/sling4.html
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 09:55:32 AM »

This is nice to know...Thanks for the links & report John...

So....the question is...When ya going to get one and what caliber is it going to be hmmmmmmmm?  ;) :D :D :D

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 03:29:43 PM »
Well the 30 06 got bloody today,with a headon pig shot. The 150 gr. bullet took nearly all its head off. It was a risky 45 yd shot with plenty of big weeds and grass between us,but the  150 gr. BT found its way through all of it. Mac,there's 7 more just like it that I left,so you'd better get your's down here.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 10:08:32 PM »
Well the 30 06 got bloody today,with a headon pig shot. The 150 gr. bullet took nearly all its head off. It was a risky 45 yd shot with plenty of big weeds and grass between us,but the  150 gr. BT found its way through all of it. Mac,there's 7 more just like it that I left,so you'd better get your's down here.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Digger

WAY TO GO DIGGER...The first Elite kill goes to you...You earned this one Bud...If I could find a little time to get away I'd be there in a heart beat...I'll see what I can work out...Maybe have a new barrel and some new bullets to try out if I can swing something here and at work...... ;)

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 01:43:53 AM »
Digger, that's great! Sounds like a good day for you & a bad hair day for the Hog.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 04:29:26 AM »
 Congrats Digger!!! ;D ;D ;D
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline oldrookie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 07:23:14 AM »
Nothing like pork loins......whens the barbeque? Congrats!