Author Topic: Fixed Sights vs. Adjustable Sights  (Read 683 times)

Offline Pecci

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Fixed Sights vs. Adjustable Sights
« on: February 26, 2007, 07:27:21 PM »
Is there ever any advantage to fixed sights?

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
Re: Fixed Sights vs. Adjustable Sights
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 09:51:01 PM »
Nearly indestructable, and you don't have to worry about changes in zero, ( at least with the groove in the frame type).

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 09:55:12 PM »
There was a topic here recently on this subject---that might interest you.
I don't/can't shoot at things very far away.
I don't shoot bulleye.
I cut holes in paper.
I have no use for adjustable sights.
There are a number of guys/gals that care for them, I have found them to be more trouble that they are worth.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 12:32:55 AM »
Most adjustable sights have a larger front sight blade or one with a sharper outline that helps in target aquisition.  They also have a nice square rear sight blade that allows you to line up that 'squared off' front sight pretty easily.

However, they can be knocked out of sight alignment without too much trouble and they can drive you crazy trying to get them adjusted, sometimes. 

I like them for target and hunting yet I no longer shoot at targets far away with open sights.  Unless of course it is a 12 inch gong out at the 100 yd line and that I can hit all day long, fixed or adjustable sights.  Mikey.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 02:50:02 AM »
I guess I have to be the Devil's advocate here.  I've heard the stories of failure of adjustable sights, like my buddy that lost an elevation screw while shooting!  But I have to honestly say that in over 40 years of shooting, I have never had a problem with adjustable sights.  I have however, lost 2 front sights out of fixed sight guns.  If it is a gun that I will only use one load, such at .44 spl or .45 acp, I like fixed sights.  I will adjust the load or file the sights or turn the barrel if necessary to bring POA and POI together.  Most .45 autos seem to not need that however and can usually be shot the way they come.  But most of my revolvers have adjustable sights and I love them.  You pays your money, you takes your choices.  44 Man.
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Dale53

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 07:25:07 AM »
If you shoot different bullet weights, different velocities,and different ranges, you need adjustable sights. However, for a "working gun" that will be used with one load, GOOD fixed sights can be a blessing.

My "serious" .45 has fixed sights regulated for a specific load. It doesn't require any adjustment. In this case, fixed sights are best. They are a set of Heinie chrome moly sights with an excellent sight picture. They WILL NOT FAIL!

However, my bullseye guns require adjustable sights. Also, my .32's and .38's are used with a variety of bullet weights,velocities,and distances (at least from 50 feet to fifty yards). They NEED adjustable sights.

As the man said, "Different horses for different courses."

Dale53

Offline Blackhawk44

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 10:39:54 AM »
I'm with 44Man.  In 40 years I've never broken or knocked out of alignment any adjustable handgun sight, and me and them have taken some tumbles.  I also firmly believe that nice, big, square, well defined, adjustable sights are far faster to line up when things begin to get a little busy.  Have you ever seen Jerry Miculek shoot fixed sights?  Neither have I.  When things get beyond 20-25 yards, the grooved frame and round blade lose out quickly.  This is the opinion of someone who has carried Colt SAA's since a kid.  When things get real, I wear my old .44 Sp Blackhawk.     

Offline The Old Redneck

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 02:43:56 PM »
   I'll start this with the fact that I have been shooting with a scoped handgun probably 100 rounds to every 1 shot through a gun with open sights of anykind because at my age a scope is easier to see with. That said, I carry a fix sight revolver, never had adjustable sights to fail, but like to know that my sights are as solid as the frame. A single action, large bore revolver with sights and load that shoot together is unbeatable for me. I want a blade flat and a slot cut in the frame big enough to see air on both sides of it. The way I practice is shooting the little saber tooth chipmunks. When you hit one of those on a regular basis at 20 to 30 steps anything else is easy money. Is a 44 or 45 bullet a little over kill on the little critters? I don't really care, the rednecks that got here before me killed out all the lions, tigers, bears, and dinasours. I'll walk down behind the house and shoot a deer for meat every now and then, got to lazy to do that lately. Knowing your gun hits where it points makes it easy to shoot anything. Choose the kind of sights your most comfortable with, if you haven't shot thousands of rounds like some of us old folks use adjustable. Gettin old and can't see the little darlings use something optical. I started this with the fact I shoot a scope a lot, I love a Ruger Mark 2 with a 5 1/2" barrel and scope. Try to run a few hundred rounds through one every week. It is nice to be able to see and hit things again, and a scope does that. The person that comes up with a set of open sights that work that well will make a good living just redoing my guns, and the rest of the old folks here.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 02:00:58 AM »
Now ill argue with my freind 44 man. Ive had 1911 sights fall apart. (and on a colt) ive had them lock up (ruger and kimber) But then ive had dovetail sights move in there dovetails too. (springfield and kimber). Ive also had front sights fall off of fixed sighted SAs one cimmeron that just flew off while shooting and a ruger that i helped by trying to bend the front blade a little to much. I am a fan of both and they both have there place. I like a adj on my competion guns and for guns that will see differnt loads. But for rough field use or self defense i like fixed sights. Drop a gun in the middle of a hunt with a scope or even adj sights and your hunt might be over. Most of the time with fixed sights youll pick it up dust it off and keep hunting. Adjusting fixed sighted guns is surely not rocket science. Buy a barrel vise for about 50 bucks and a file and your set for life. IVe been fooling with one of bowens rough country sights lately and it may be the best of both worlds its fully adjustable and when adusted locks down about a well as a fixed sight. Still not as rugged as a grove in a frame but much better then most adjustables out there.
blue lives matter

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 10:02:28 AM »
Dang it, I've never had a problem with fixed or adjustable sights on thirty-something guns. Now I feel left out. ;D
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 11:30:51 AM »
There are nine handguns in my collection,a grand total of none have adjustable sights,that may explain my preference,I like simple and rugged    Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline Omaha-BeenGlockin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 10:34:47 AM »
Depends on the gun---on .22's(auto & rev) and revolvers(.357-.44) I prefer adjustable-----on concealed/combat(9mm--.45) auto pistols I prefer fixed.