Author Topic: Pardner slug vs USH  (Read 572 times)

Offline gjs4

• Trade Count: (0)
Pardner slug vs USH
« on: February 27, 2007, 11:48:31 AM »
Hi.

Do they have the same relative accuracy? Rate of twist?

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Re: Pardner slug vs USH
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 01:29:47 PM »
I think I read somewhere that the rate of twist is the same whether USH or Tracker.  The accuracy should be very close to the same, provided the shooter does his/her part.  The BIG question to ask "How are you going to hunt with it?"  If you will be doing mostly stand hunting with little or no walkin' around or driving, then the USH  is a very good choice.  However, if you are gonna be driving and doing a lot of walking, the Tracker is a good choice as it is not as heavy.  Also, you should consider that the Tracker has open sights and in order to put a scope on one, you must have it D & T'd or have a scope base soldered on.  Only a few folks have found gunsmiths willing to D & T the 12ga Tracker.  A good compromise might be considering the Youth 20ga USH.  It has a 22" barrel, rather than a 24" barrel, so it is a little lighter for carrying.  Also, be advised, if you are considering having barrels added, the 12ga USH can only have 10ga barrel added as it is a larger frame the 10ga and USH 12ga are the only 2 sizes of barrels it is used for.

It just depends on what ya want and what type of hunting you do.  Either choice, Tracker or USH, they are both accurate, as long as the shooter does his/her part.  Good Luck trying to decide.  Hey, you could always buy one of each.  That's the nice thing about these H&R's they are EASY on the wallet.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 03:17:29 PM »
I agree about the weight of the USH...I carry mine whenever out in the woods during shotgun season here in NY.  It weighs around 12 lbs with the scope mounted...Not too heavy but not really all that light.  I mostly sit on the ground or in a stand but I have been known to stalk a little...For that task, I still carry the USH...But, I am a bigger guy and the weight does not bother me.  You could look into a 20GA Tracker II.  It weighs in at 5 1/2 lbs and would be a great stalker...Plus, there is more meat than a 12GA for a smith to drill and tap for a scope should you chose to go that route.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 05:01:40 PM »
The Tracker II in 20 ga. is the only slug gun we own at this time and have four of them presently as a family. They are extremely accurate with a mixed bag of sabot slug offerings. I use the 2 3/4" or 3" Winchester Partition Gold. My son uses the Remington Premier Ulra Cor-Lokt 2 3/4". Our daughter and son-in-law use the Federal 3" Hydra-Shok. They have all shown great accuracy with those Federals shooting well in each Tracker II we've tried them in. The thin barrel of the TrackerII is an extremely accurater barrel. I have never shot repeated shots thru ours to see how fast they heat, but if you are hunting deer, multiple shots are usually not encountered regularly.

Are these answers sufficient, or are you looking for something else to help you make your decision?

Offline gjs4

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 04:27:52 AM »
I ended up buying a used T2- 20ga... i am just looking for stand gun when i am in the woods..i usually shoot a savage ml (but shes around 10-11 pounds with my setup)...i amusually a DD when it comes to pushing  ;D

I am in WNY too- where are you at WNY_Whitetailer?

I will post back with what slugs worked best..

thanks