Author Topic: Making Cores  (Read 1034 times)

Offline stever

• Trade Count: (0)
    • 303 British DOT com
Making Cores
« on: February 27, 2007, 12:28:52 PM »
I think that we're all doing this by chopping wire.  Does anyone know about the machine that is used to punch out cores en masse?  Clint Starke uses one and I believe that he lubes with oil.

It would be nice to learn more about such a machine.

Safe Shooting! 
Steve Redgwell
303british.com

Offline Rick Teal

• A Real Regular
Re: Making Cores
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 09:23:09 PM »
Steve:

I don't know what method Clint uses, but a few years ago I saw s short film on one of the big boys, and it showed long strands of lead wire being moved around the plant via high speed machinery.  Maybe that's now an obsolete technology, but I'd expect that lead wire and cutting would be easier to incorporate into an automated plant than a punching operation on some type of billet.
Hunting is Exciting!  Bolt actions are BORING!!
Don't mix the two!

Offline stever

• 303 British DOT com
Re: Making Cores
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 11:12:55 AM »
Hi Rick.  I don't know how he does it either. 

I suspect that it's not a large machine like the commercial operations though.  Heck, I cannot find a reference anywhere about this type of extruder.  From what I understand, besides the standard lead extrusion, it produces cores that are chopped and the weight you want.  Clint's cores have to be degreased, as he ships them with the oil still on.

There has to be a company that makes this device.  If Clint has stopped making cores, it will be more difficult to put out bullets.

Steve