Author Topic: New to me 7mm-08 Optima Elite  (Read 3081 times)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
New to me 7mm-08 Optima Elite
« on: February 28, 2007, 01:30:57 PM »
I received the used Optima Elite today, so far, it looks promising, has a couple scratches, but bore and action are in excellent shape, has 2-pc bases on it, no iron sights, just the mount holes, but I would have taken them off anyway, can't use em with my eyes!! It locks up tight on aluminum foil that is .0005" thick which is impressive, new sized brass is flush with the chamber mouth, the barrel is tight when open, no wiggle at all. I pulled the forend, which is a muzzleloader forend btw....the hinge pin is .394" which is good or bad, depending on how you look at it, TC uses a .430" pin, H&R's is .375". The rifle with a Durasight base, weighs 7lbs-13oz.

The bad news is the trigger, my Lyman digital trigger scale gives me a 10 pull average of 5lbs 4oz, but it is crisp and breaks clean. I knocked the pins out and it's built pretty much like an H&R, in fact, I used the same slave pin that I use on H&R triggers to put it back together, the design is almost identical, just made of better material and the latch release handle is more like TC's but the latch itself is very similar to the H&R. I did a little honing on the trigger sear, but couldn't remove the hammer extensioin, so I could hone the hammer's sear engagement surface, sent Mark an email to see if he can tell me the secret to removing the extension, it may just be loctited and need some heat to soften the loctite, but I didn't want to wreck it not knowing the "secret"!!

The 7mm-08 has a twist rate of 1:9" as marked right on the barrel, so I think I'll shoot the 160gr Accubond in it, the throat is deep enough that I can load it long to keep pressures down and still have some room for powder!!

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
Re: New to me 7mm-08 Optima Elite
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 03:51:37 PM »
Is your's the compact model or the fullsized? How do you like the feel when you shoulder it? Mine's the compact,and I love the way it shoots off the bench. Get that gun to the range and give us a report.   Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 06:17:56 PM »
It feels good Digger, if it didn't look so bad, I'd keep it, but I'm still planning on a thumbhole stock.  ;D

It's a full size, the compact is only available in the .223 and .243 that I know of.

Mark replied to my email already, the hammer extension has a left hand thread!!! ::) He also mentioned that 3rd party work may void the warranty, and they would do a free trigger job, but I doubt they'll pay shipping, but if they would, it may be worth it.

Tim

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 06:43:24 PM »

Man...that is certainly some short spacing on the scope bases...it's a whole lot closer than mine is..I do think your going to like it...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 07:18:44 PM »
Well, I finally got to shoulder one. And I have to say, all of you are absolutely right, it shoulders awesome! Though my dealer has only 1 and it's a 50cal Stainless with the real tree camo stocks...for $470 :o >:( :o Too much for me to invest at the moment.

-Aaron

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 07:29:35 PM »
Talk him down in price...he has a lot of room to work...or just order one from Buds...now that you know how they feel ;)

Mac

Offline bigjeepman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 02:18:00 AM »
myarmour ...

The same 50 cal Mzl with a ss barrel and thumbhole stock is only $366.78 at Bud's. You might also call Whittaker Guns @ 1.270.229.0140 or www.whittakerguns.com . They had a nice inventory of them two weeks ago.
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline myarmor

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 05:41:21 AM »
Tim, congrats on getting you one. If it shoots half as good as they feel, I am sure you will be happy with it ;) And sorry I didn't mean to highjack your topic.

Mac, this fella won't budge on it. Besides I'm not really looking for a ML at the moment, but I am looking around for a centerfire OE. And thanks to you and BJM, I won't have to even start thinking about that price ;D $366 is very reasonable.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 05:55:46 AM »
Thanks, not a problem Aaron, good luck in your quest. ;)

Tim

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 06:13:13 AM »
Tim, congrats on getting you one. If it shoots half as good as they feel, I am sure you will be happy with it ;) And sorry I didn't mean to highjack your topic.

Mac, this fella won't budge on it. Besides I'm not really looking for a ML at the moment, but I am looking around for a centerfire OE. And thanks to you and BJM, I won't have to even start thinking about that price ;D $366 is very reasonable.

I was looking for a 12ga barrel for Bama...and got onto Kittery's web site...They had a stainless 243/50 cal Elite for used $375...Sorry...did save the link...incase your interested..

Mac

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 06:40:41 AM »
I asked Mark about getting an owner's manual and warranty coverage of a used firearm since I'm doing a trigger job on it, their warranty info states it's good to the original owner only, but that doesn't mean a used gun won't be covered by their warranty, their repair department hasn't turned anyone down yet. Good to know, they have a lot in common with H&R CS. ;)

Tim

Offline bigjeepman

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 08:07:42 AM »
quick ...

Up to this point, what do you like about the Elite centerfire ... and what do you dislike?
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 08:29:58 AM »
The only negatives are the appearance of the stock design which is purely cosmetic, the feel and fit is excellent, such as it is with things that are ergonomic! The stock shoulders perfect and gives me a great cheek weld and excellent view thru a Burris 3.5-10x50 scope in medium Burris rings which has about 1/16" clearance at the barrel and about 5/16" at the hammer.

I'm revising my description of the stock from ugly to homely!! :D

The heavy trigger is the only other issue, which CVA will do a free trigger job on if needed, and I must mention that others that have newer rifles have lighter triggers on them, so CVA may have already addressed that issue. Digger's trigger was 3lb-4oz out of the box. ;)

Tim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 09:25:09 AM »
Here's a pic, with scope mounted and bore sighted, ready to play!!! ;)

Tim

Offline mangulator

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 11:09:09 AM »
quickdtoo, please let us know how it shoots! That is one of my favorite calibers :)

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 11:14:14 AM »
Couldn't stand it huh Tim? Just had to have one. Ya gonna wind up with 30 or 40 of these too?  ;D ;D ;D

Sorry........couldn't help myself.......had to yank on your chain a little.  :D ;D :D

Glad for ya on the Elite. Hope to be getting one myself soon.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline bigjeepman

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2007, 11:15:43 AM »
Tim ...
Now, I think that is a good looking setup ...  I think they shoulder and point very well. Mark said they will adjust triggers down to 3 lbs and that would be acceptable to me. Your 50mm Burris sits on the Elite real nicely with the medium rings ... another plus. Am I correct in saying the hammer is not an issue on the Elites with mounting a scope?

That looks like a great coyote rifle if you're not a meat saver ... I mean pelt saver.
5 Rules for Happiness

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2007, 11:44:16 AM »
Thanks John, I also plan on a .300 Win Mag barrel when they come available.  ;D

btw,  I almost put the TS624 Tasco on it, but I'd probably just have to remove it cuz I promised it to you!! :-*

BJM, I did some honing on the trigger today, got it down to 4lbs-2oz, decided to leave it there for now, it's safe and I can deal with that, I think. Not knowing the characteristics of the trigger not having dealt with one before, if I get it too light, it may go south like an H&R will if it's too light, and they can go from too heavy to too light with just a little honing. :o

The hammer is much lower than an H&R, and with the hammer spur, there' s no problem. I have a Weaver K15 coming, if I get it before I get to the range, I'll stick it on there in low Leupold PRWs if it will fit.

I'm hoping the weather will be nice enough to make a range trip this Sunday.....that's if I don't end up moving my mother in law into assisted living.... bad timing there! :-\

Tim

I think there's closer to 3/8" clearance at the hammer.....

Offline bigjeepman

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 12:01:13 PM »
Tim

I think I can speak for many when I say thank you for your detailed explanations and pictures to help illustrate what you are explaining. I am not the technical guy per say as much as I am a shooter/reloader/coyote hunter kind of joe. I love the challenge of getting a rifle to shoot well when someone else has given up on it or refinishing the wood. I get technical with my reloading to the nth degree but not the mechanical type that is necessary to really get things right with the firearm.

Again, thanks ...

bigjeepman
5 Rules for Happiness

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2007, 12:34:32 PM »
You're welcome, it's my pleasure to help folks out when and if I can,  and as the old saying goes, a pic is worth.... ;D

Thanks,

Tim

Offline myarmor

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2007, 03:35:30 PM »
I agree with BJM, thanks for always hooking us up with good pics Tim.
By the way, I bet you couldn't take one of the under lug, screw stud, and inside of the forearm could you? ;D

I am curious about the what ifs, like if the barrel needs floating, or bedded. Those kind of things.

The one I looked at, had a pretty good trigger. At the heaviest it was 3lbs and very smooth. They got a great feel, over all I am impressed. And that 300WinMag looks pretty good 8)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2007, 03:50:07 PM »
I'll take a pic of it later, but be aware mine is a muzzleloader forend, so it won't help too much I don't think. I do have a float method, just a neoprene/steel washer that fits the screw snug, but adds just a bit of space tween forend and barrel, it only touches at the frame. I'm taking it to the range in my shooting box,  but shoot first, try it if needed!! ;)

Tim

Pic added, if you click the link, you can see a bigger pic....

https://www.gboreloaded.com/mhp/images/quickdtoo/forend.jpg

https://www.gboreloaded.com/mhp/images/quickdtoo/barrelstud.jpg

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2007, 08:17:50 PM »

The days of having to shim and do all that floating to me is basically over...Even with my MZ fore end touching on the 243 barrel...my groups were more than respectable...This isn't a TC...nor is it a Handi...even though it may share some traits of each.

Mac

Offline oldrookie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2007, 05:41:18 PM »
Are those shots on bags or are those yours? ;D

Offline xhare

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2007, 06:28:31 PM »
Quickdtoo,

Make sure you clean that real good, that gun has my fingerprints all over it.  I live in KY about 2 hours from Whittaker Guns' store and get there every chance I get, and I have handled that very rifle.  He also has had several in 30-06 in the new gun rack.  They can be a little hard to find because he has them back with the black powder guns. 

Have fun shooting it, your reports are always very useful. 

BTW, I purchased my Handi in 500 used at his store for $179 tax included last year, used it to take a deer this past season. 

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2007, 07:16:22 PM »
Are those shots on bags or are those yours? ;D

Actually...I had to use a large hand made target made out of a large cardboard box I had avaiable that would stand up in the wind...I shot this group the same day I shot my muzzle loader...Except the wind was blowing harder at this time..http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,112267.0.html

Mac

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2007, 07:23:38 PM »
xhare, not only were your prints on it, but so were bigjeepman's!! But not anymore, it's been cleaned inside and out and Eezoxed, trigger job done,rings mounted, lapped, scoped mounted and bore sighted. Loaded up some 160gr Accubonds yesterday, all ready for the next range visit, maybe Sunday. :-\

Thanks for checking it out, I also cleaned up the ding in the muzzle and on the left side of the frame, and touch up blued them, looks like new now!! ;D

Tim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2007, 06:28:46 PM »
Made it to the range today, shooting the Optima Elite didn't have a happy ending..... or beginning :'(, the handloads that I made for it were primed with Rem 9½ primers, 2 out of the first 3 didn’t go boom, even after a second hammer drop, very deep pin strike, but no fire. So I didn’t get to shoot handloads thru it. Did shoot some Rem and Fusion 140gr factory thru it, 2-2½” groups were the best it would do, I even tried a washer to float the muzzleloader forend, but no great improvement, I might have to get a centerfire forend for it, or work on it to make it work, maybe a little sanding to make some clearance at the barrel, it's tight on both sides and both ends.

It is a pleasure to shoot, I also shot my 7mm-08 Handi with the same loads, the OE was much nicer to mount and shoot, less muzzle jump and softer on the shoulder with the nice recoil pad.

To be continued..... ;)

Tim

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2007, 12:12:05 PM »
Tim would you mind telling us what you payed for it used.
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2007, 02:29:20 PM »
$269 shipped. ;)