Author Topic: Any Truth To The Rumor...  (Read 1204 times)

Offline Pecci

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Any Truth To The Rumor...
« on: March 01, 2007, 07:07:36 AM »
That, for example, a 38 will shoot less accurately in a 357 mag revolver, tha it would for a gun designed for 38 only?

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
Re: Any Truth To The Rumor...
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 07:24:21 AM »
I would think there is some truth to this.  Although you're a better shot than I am if you can prove it.

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
  • Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    • The Mountain
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 08:43:10 AM »
If it does, it would probably have something to do with the bullet jump before engaging rifling's due to a little longer bore. Maybe somebody on here can check it out and let us know.  ;)
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 09:52:49 AM »
Pecci:  Not necessarily and it quite often depends on the individual revolver but unless you are measuring groups by the 1/10th of an inch, not really.

Many, many fellas I know/knew shot bulleye with S&W Model 19s using 38 Spl wadcutters.  Every single Ruger Blackhawk in 357 I have ever shot shoots 38s just as accurately as it does 357s. 

You can often enjoy incredible accuracy with 38 loads in a 357.  Mikey.

Offline Wingman26

• Avid Poster
    • Wingman 26 Home Page
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 01:20:35 PM »
While possible, in practice I don't think that is a significant problem.  I shot PPC competitively for a number of years, I competed in the Master Class, I won lots of trophies and other goodies at matches...did I mention that my match revolver was based on a Model 13 in 357 mag?  That revolver never saw a 357 magnum cartridge case, and the cylinder was original to the gun, so it was, and still is chambered in 357 magnum.
John
Site Staff  http://mp-pistol.com/
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 09:56:35 AM »
My S&W 10 is the most accurate gun I own. It may just be the gun. However, my blackhawks are more accurate with .357s than they are with .38s, so I'd tend to believe that .38s shoot more accurately out of guns made to shoot .38s than they do out of guns that will also shoot .357s. That's just my limited experience.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 11:32:58 AM »
I can only speak for myself,but I do not think I can shoot good enough to tell the difference.   Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline Almtnman

• A Real Regular
  • Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    • The Mountain
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 11:39:52 AM »
My S&W 10 is the most accurate gun I own. It my just be the gun. However, my blackhawks are more accurate with .357s than they are with .38s, so I'd tend to believe that .38s shoot more accurately out of guns made to shoot .38s than they do out of guns that will also shoot .357s. That's just my limited experience.

Griz, according to what little I know about the S&W model 10, it is notorious for being a extremely accurate handgun all the way back to when it was used in WWII as the Victory model. I have heard that some of the older model 10's are more accurate than some of the newer ones, but I suspect that is due to being fired a lot and the action smoothing out.
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Catfish

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 01:21:52 PM »
I doubt that there is any difference with a revolver since the jump from the case to the rifleings is already so great. It might make some difference with a gun that has the chamber in the barrel and you can shorten bullet jump, but it still depend up the barrel in the individual gun.