Author Topic: Which smith 41 would you keep scoped?  (Read 588 times)

Offline 6.5BR

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Which smith 41 would you keep scoped?
« on: March 02, 2007, 11:58:27 AM »
I have 2 657, one 6", the other a 6.5 CH unfluted.

Would you rather the lighter model for carry, or the steadier holding CH model with irons?

The CH with scoped seems especially difficult to hold/maneuver my aim than the lighter-both being scoped now.

Off the bench both shoot better than I can, but offhand, I think I shot better long ago with another iron sighted 657 standard owned in the past.  Anyone experience difficulty with heavy scoped handguns, offhand?

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Which smith 41 would you keep scoped?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 01:16:08 PM »
I have several scoped handguns and always shot from a rest or by-pod with all but a Ruger Red Hawk and a .22 rim fire. I also shoot a .500 S&W off hand, but use a sling to help study it and then only when I cannot get a rest.

Offline 6.5BR

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 08:47:44 AM »
When I owned another 657 in the past, as well as many other previously owned revolvers, I used irons, and even hit milk jugs offhand with a 4" 629 at 100 and 150 yds. 

It seems that it is a matter of timing your breaking the trigger when the sights are just so, where as when using a scoped revolver, it seems very difficult to 'finesse the gun/sight pic' trying to get the aim you want when getting the shot off.

The weight is a factor esp. on the heavier gun and scope added. 

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 10:58:39 PM »
I'm in a similar dilemma with 2 Rugers in 41 mag - a Bisley and a Redhawk. Both 7.5 inch.  Since either of mine are long for general carry, I have a 4 inch 57 for that duty. I might have to try each one with irons again and decide then.  If I had your situation I'd probably go with irons on the 6 incher.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Wyatte

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 06:41:12 AM »
I think I would also keep the 6" model as is with the iron sights.  I have  a 6" 657-3, and it's not bad in a good belt holster.    wyatte

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 08:13:35 AM »
If you don't like, or hold the CH as well, trade it off on another 657 with a 4" bbl for belt carry and keep the one you are pleased with scoped.  I've had a lot of guns come and go.  If they didn't shoot well (or where difficult to shoot well) they went.  If they just didn't work as well for the job at hand as another would, they went.  It's your gun and your call.  Just because a gun is a 'special' model, still doesn't guarantee that it will be the best for your particular needs.  Get one you are happy with..... an 'be happy'.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline 6.5BR

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 02:59:21 AM »

I hear you, since no shooter is built alike, all guns fit people differently and are used differently.  I will have to experiment to decide what works best.

Just curious if anyone has estimates on what it would cost to shorten a Classic Hunter by 1-2 inches.  I think it would be a nice unique gun, but not sure if it is worth customizing.  Thanks. 

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 04:16:50 AM »
You have to balance the cost of shortening the barrel against the difference you would have if you traded it for the barrel length you prefer.  I think you will find it much cheaper to shorten your barrel.  Ken Kelly at Mag-na-port has done excellent work for me.  Shortening the barrel is only $65 but if it is a blued gun, they will have to refinish and I'm not sure just what that costs.  I would suggest that you also have Ken install a C-more sight blade while it is there.  I have all my guns ported also, but that is a personal preference.  I love the porting on my gun, but then we are adding more cost ($88) to getting your's done, so where you stop is up to you.  This is a picture of my SuperBlackhawk.  It was cut to 5" and ported and a c-more installed.  Ken also refinished the gun, polished it before blueing and put on a brilliant finish (I could comb my hair in it if I had any).  It has a satin nickled aluminum grip frame on it and gold plated hammer and trigger and misc small parts.  I don't think they do the gold plating any more, it wears too easily.  I would fix that gun the way you want it and enjoy it!  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!