Author Topic: Do our "kids" in the military get the respect they deserve?  (Read 1423 times)

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  My son 17 years old. Joined the MN national guard and is split training through his senior year. I am a former army guy and have to give himand all our "kids" that have joined in wartime. The people like him are what makes America great. I think he has noticed that I treat him different since he returned from basic this summer. He is now a man. I still call them "boys" but every time they have drill I cook him and all the new guys here breakfast. He is going to Aberdean this coming summer for AIT, then who knows where. Him and is buddy say they wanna go kill sand n!@@e&$ and I told em you might get your wish. I just hope they are allowed to do what the military is supposed to do. (kill people and break things).  This country wasn't made on the backs of these filthy politicians, nor the working gut, but the backs of the "lowley" soldiers who laid down thier lives for what is right and just.

Ya know what is really fucked up. (graybeard i hope u let that nasty word through there is one place it should be used) Is my "kid" can't vote, he can't drink, he can't smoke a ciggarette or chew snuff, but he can die for his country!

I think a military I.D. should let you do all off the above
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Do our "kids" in the military get the respect they deserve?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 06:54:08 PM »
I want to thank your son for his service!

One of my boys finished AIT training & graduated Feb 2nd at Fort Leonardwood.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline ken2222

• Trade Count: (23)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 06:59:58 PM »
I'd like to thank your son and all of our sons and daughters for serving! And I ,like you, believe that our Service Men and Woman should have all of the privledges that we adults have while they are serving....nuff said!
Ken

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 07:13:26 PM »
Yep!!

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 06:46:57 AM »
As a father and grandfather, the future of our country is more at the forefront of my concerns than ever.  A lot of things I see, read, and hear cause me increasing worry.
Our young people in service are a bright light. They exhibit loyalty, character, honor, tenacity, and courage which I find very admirable and reassuring.
Thanks to all of them and their loved ones at home !
We also need to do right by them when they return.
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline Thundermaker

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 06:57:11 PM »
My daughter enlisted in the ANG as well. She spent the last two summers sweating her ass off at Ft. Leonard wood. I must say I was never prouder than when I saw her graduate basic. I had an interesting experience while on post there. Try to picture this. Its a beautiful august morning, about 0900, I'm sitting on a bench just enjoying the morning cup and as I sit there I start getting goosebumps. I cant figure out why at first. then I realize it happens everytime I hear a couple hundred or more young voices sound off in unison, or when a compny of young soldiers marches by in step, you know it sounds like one giant pair of boots. Anyway it suddenly occurs to me that EVERY single soldier on that post except training cadre has enlisted since 9/11. I damn near cried. I thought of Bull Halseys question. "where do we get these brave men?" Only its young women to. Which is why I get so angry when politicians say stupid and sometimes mean things about them. I really believe the left in this country is trying to destroy them just as they did the young peopl who fought in Vietnam. The short answer to your question is no. At least not by the people who voted to send them to war in the first place. Ive said it before, I'll say it again. God help any bastard I see spit on a soldier.

Offline ken2222

• Trade Count: (23)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 07:12:12 PM »
I am a Viet Nam Vet....I know what its like to return home and be "booed"....THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN TO A SERVICE PERSON IN MY PRESENCE!

Ken ???

Offline qajaq59

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 02:45:12 AM »
I'm old enough to remember all the men and women that died fighting the Nazis and Japanese. EVERYONE in the service gets my respect and always did. Especially my grandson that just went into  the Army Airborne to help protect us.

Qajaq

Offline OLDHandgunner

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 02:57:53 AM »
I THINK WE OWE ALL OUR SOLDIERS & VETERANS MORE HONOR & RESPECT.
While in Wal-Mart the other day buying 22 ammo, the young man that was waiting on me was talking to a younger man who had just enlisted in the NG and was telling about his ordeal in bootcamp. I told him about my days in bootcamp at Ft. Bragg (1966) & how the NG people took the heat off us draftees & enlisted men becauses the DI's didn't like the ( Weekend Warriors ) as they were called back then. My how times have changed. NOW LOOK AT WHAT THE NATIONAL GUARD ARE DOING FOR US. The young Wal-Mart clerk shook my hand & thanked me for serving back then. It was a good feeling even after 40 years. He told me that he was an Army Ranger in Iraq in the 90's. I shook his hand & thanked him also for serving.
SO THE NEXT TIME YOU SEE OR TALK TO A SOLDIER OR VETERAN, SHAKE THERE HAND & TELL THEM THANKS.

GOD WATCH OVER ALL OUR TROOPS & BRING THEM HOME SAFE.

Offline Danegeld

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2007, 03:31:12 AM »
  My son 17 years old. Joined the MN national guard and is split training through his senior year. I am a former army guy and have to give himand all our "kids" that have joined in wartime. The people like him are what makes America great. I think he has noticed that I treat him different since he returned from basic this summer. He is now a man. I still call them "boys" but every time they have drill I cook him and all the new guys here breakfast. He is going to Aberdean this coming summer for AIT, then who knows where. Him and is buddy say they wanna go kill sand n!@@e&$ and I told em you might get your wish. I just hope they are allowed to do what the military is supposed to do. (kill people and break things).  This country wasn't made on the backs of these filthy politicians, nor the working gut, but the backs of the "lowley" soldiers who laid down thier lives for what is right and just.

Ya know what is really (censored word) up. (graybeard i hope u let that nasty word through there is one place it should be used) Is my "kid" can't vote, he can't drink, he can't smoke a ciggarette or chew snuff, but he can die for his country!

I think a military I.D. should let you do all off the above

As far as the age of consent goes, I agree 100%, when they changed the drinking age to 21 (early 80s) many down in my hometown of Centerville, Tx felt that an exception should be made for those who are serving their country.  I still stand by that...

You can never show 'too much' respect and gratitude for someone who's wearing the uniform.  It's certainly better than the Vietnam Vets received and even better than the Desert Storm era.  But, it still has a long way to go...

Take Care
Ben, MSgt, USAF (Ret)

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2007, 03:03:40 PM »
I was a police officer, specializing in tactical (SWAT and TACTICAL K-9) for twenty years. My youngest son used to go to the range with me and help keep the line clean when it wasn't live, and occasionally would get to run a mag thru an M16 or a pistol. When I was training tactical patrol dogs he would go with me, and actually be a decoy on searches and things, where safety could be assured. He started all this when he was around 6 years old. I was his hero, and it showed.
That boy is now a Sgt. in the 82nd Airborne with a combat tour in Afganistan, one in Iraq, and now Iraq again (Bagdad). Last month he turned 23 years old in Bagdad.
He's a Sgt. He's a combat vet, He takes care of his guys and vice verca, He's as hard as the hinges of Hell, and He's DAMM SURE MY HERO, AND IT SHOWS.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Sheila

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2007, 03:29:03 PM »
I am a Viet Nam Vet....I know what its like to return home and be "booed"....THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN TO A SERVICE PERSON IN MY PRESENCE!

Ken ???

I have a very good idea what would happen to them if they did that to you in your presence.
[

United we stand against Ovomit.

Offline Dustyvance

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 05:36:22 PM »
I may be getting on my soapbox here, but I think its a shame how our troops have been treated in the past when they got home. I am only 24 and am not in the armed services but I also am into American history and  have heard 1ST HAND how Vietnam troops  even now don't get the well earned respect. My uncle was on the front lines there, pure ____ the whole time he was there. PERSONALLY, if someone is getting shot at so I can be free, I think they should recieve overkill positive reaction when they get back. 40+ years is late on this but I wanna send a special THANK YOU to all Vietnam vets for a job well done. Folks these people are getting fewer and fewer each year. Its time to stop the bashing of soldiers that had no other choice. They were only doing what they had to do and you and I would not be free today if it hadn't been for these men and weman.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2007, 06:25:35 PM »
Ya know what is really (censored word) up. (graybeard i hope u let that nasty word through there is one place it should be used) Is my "kid" can't vote, he can't drink, he can't smoke a ciggarette or chew snuff, but he can die for his country!

Billy there is NEVER EVER a reason or excuse to use that word on this site. You are lucky the word censor caught it. ANY and I mean ANY attempt to get around the word censor to use that word means automatic life time banning from this site. If you can't speak or type without the use of such words then quite honestly you have no business being at this site.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline OLDHandgunner

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2007, 01:20:34 AM »

Billy there is NEVER EVER a reason or excuse to use that word on this site. You are lucky the word censor caught it. ANY and I mean ANY attempt to get around the word censor to use that word means automatic life time banning from this site. If you can't speak or type without the use of such words then quite honestly you have no business being at this site.

GRAYBEARD: Thanks for keeping your web site cleaned up of foul language. This was not the way to voice his opinion. We all get frustrated from time to time but we can speak out in a civil manner.   THANKS AGAIN.

Offline magooch

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2007, 04:12:39 AM »
To the question, no I don't think our men and women in uniform always get the respect they deserve.  I cringe everytime someone calls them kids.  I know this isn't necessarily a slur, but dang it, they are men and women and often, politicians and pundits will use the word "kids" in reference to them to emphasize a point.

I also get agitated when I hear these anti-warmongers say they support the troops, but not the mission.  That, to me, is like saying you support the police and firemen, but not their mission.  This is especially irritating when it comes from a politician who voted to send them on their mission and then flips because their so-called base has become squishy about defending this country and its vital interests.
Swingem

Offline alsaqr

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2007, 01:38:06 PM »
Many thanks for the military service of your sons and daughters.  i remember when the voting age was 21.  Many returning WWII veterans were not able to vote in 1946 because they were not 21.  You can thank former US Senator Jennings Randolph of WV, now deceased, for the legislation lowering the voting age to 18. 

Whoever dreamed up the law that raised the drinking age for 3.2 beer to 21 is a total idiot. 

Retired US Army

Offline S.S.

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2007, 06:27:59 AM »
No they do not get the respect they deserve !!!!!

OR THE SUPPORT !!!!!!

Billy, I made many mad the last time I got on this, so be prepared
for a lot of hostility for bringing it up... Supporting the troops is very touchy for some here.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline wgr

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2007, 03:40:25 PM »
dad in korea  me viet nam  my boy is now a drill sgt at fort jackson he joined in high school  he keeps asking for combat duty hope he never does but ifhe goes i will support him and his buddys till hell ices over when he comes home i think
i stand alittle taller too PROUD  OF THEM ALL
never to much gun

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2007, 03:26:00 AM »
I'm gonna get slammed for this but hey, it's my opion just like everyone else has thiers. 

Him and is buddy say they wanna go kill sand n!@@e&$ and I told em you might get your wish. I just hope they are allowed to do what the military is supposed to do. (kill people and break things).

It's NOT about simply killing and breaking stuff.  That attitude is pretty sad I think.  One doesn't join up to "kill" they join to do something for thier country.  That may indeed require taking another's life but it's not the sole purpose.  I have a great deal of respect for most of those troops but can't fathom the menatlity of this garbage.    I also don't think one has respect handed to them simply for putting on a uniform.  Respect is something earned not given out freely.  Would say...Rosie O have your respect for simply enlisting and being issued a uniform?  Doubt it-  :-*
  For those troops there and for thier family and friends here, I wish for thier safe return.   
"Never Surrender, Just Carry On."  - G.S.

Offline magooch

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2007, 04:41:33 AM »
Anyone who joins our military automatically gets my full respect and support.  They only lose it if they do something really wrong.  Even then I would give them the extreme benefit of doubt.  All that crap that went on at Abu Grave--who cares.

If Rosie O'Bigfatmouth were to join the military, I'd have to reconsider all of the above.
Swingem

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2007, 02:56:30 AM »
Not to worry, she won't & nor will her America hating Liberal friends.

Offline S.S.

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2007, 10:04:11 AM »
Rosie and most of the other Hollywood Idiots really get on my nerves,
They are Actors and Actressess ! Who really cares what they think in the first place !
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2007, 01:39:21 PM »
Rosie and most of the other Hollywood Idiots really get on my nerves,
They are Actors and Actressess ! Who really cares what they think in the first place !

Apparently most of America. Actors, actresses, and sports figures are the people with the money, and the connections to get heard on the media. Where did they get this money and the connections? From Americans whom apparently have no life.JMO
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett