Author Topic: 40 SW vs 9mm  (Read 687 times)

Offline Coalminer7

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
40 SW vs 9mm
« on: March 03, 2007, 06:57:49 AM »
Had a post earlier on which semi to get and want to THANK everyone for their reponse.  I am leaning towards the SW MP as of right now.  My question is do I get the gun in a .40 or a 9mm?  i want to plink and use this gun for Home defense, HOPEFULLY that moment will never come. 

Am looking for any opinions good or bad.

Will the clips form a .40 interchage with a 9mm?

Offline Old Griz

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 40 SW vs 9mm
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 07:39:00 AM »
The .40 is the more effective round, and because of the increased popularity of the .40s, the price is only a few cents more per box than 9mm. Therefore, I would go ahead and get the .40 and have a better self-defense gun, and one that is still affordable to plink/practice with. Besides, the .40 makes bigger holes. ;D
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 12:56:06 PM »
If you already owned a 9mm in a 92fs, and used it for self protection, would adocate the need for the 40?
jim

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 02:35:20 PM »
While the 40 may be a better round(??) a well designed 9mm is still very effective.If you are not a very experienced pistoleer,ie not used to recoil I would suggest the 9mm.I have both and when I feel the need to pick up a pistol it is BHP in 9mm   my2c   Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 02:16:56 AM »
Coalminer - get the 9mm.  Don't ever count on some magical combination of cailber and bullet to take the place of basic defensive handgunning skills - that's what practice (and more practice and more practice) is for.  The 9mm will work just fine if you do your job right.  Nothing works right if you don't plant the bullet where it belongs. 

That being said, a double action semi-auto may not be the best piece to start with, unless you are sold on the S&W MP.  I prefer and appreciate the Browning High Power in 9mm - it feels natural in my hand. 

The magazines of two different caliber pistols may interchange but that does not mean they will feed different caliber cartridges properly, so 'no' they might not interchange.

I don't consider the 40 S&W a better round than the 9mm, it is simply one more millimeter in diameter.  They are both the same cartridge length so you can only get just so much out of a 10mm case that is the same length as the 9mm case.  The 9mm is the less expensive cartridge to shoot. 

The FBI loadings in the 10mm cartridge were/are at the 40 S&W level, which is why many refrred to the 40 as the 40 short and weak.  The feds were concerned about through and through penetration and liability and that's why they came up with 40 S&W power levels.

Get yourself the 9mm and don't look back.  Practice with it until you feel comfortably proficient and then keep practicing and plinkin'.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline jgalar

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 05:58:52 PM »
I think the 40 is a better round for purely defensive use than the 9mm. With that said, I personally prefer the 9 because its more economical to shoot and is not that far behind a 40. There is usually empty 9mm cases scattered on the ground where you shoot - I always come home with more empty cases than I had loaded rounds.

If you can't make a good defense with a full magazine of 9mm than I don't think a full mag of 40 would make much difference either.

Offline alm200

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 06:58:17 PM »
go for the walther p99 in 40 s&w