Author Topic: Anyone have opinion on Burris Short Mag?  (Read 703 times)

Offline erickrschaefer

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
Anyone have opinion on Burris Short Mag?
« on: March 04, 2007, 09:49:07 AM »
Thinking of putting one on my Rugger 77 RSI. Was thinking of the straight 4x.

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
Re: Anyone have opinion on Burris Short Mag?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 02:29:35 PM »
I had the 3-9x32 back when they were called the Compact (before the Short Mag craze).  It was a nice scope, liked it much better than the Leupold Compact 3-9 I had on another gun.  Never used the 4x, but I've liked all of the Burris scopes I've had.

Offline Zachary

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 03:31:14 PM »
I own a few burris scopes, but I'm not a fan.  I would recommend the Leupold Ultralight scopes.

Zachary

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 11:40:13 AM »
I usually agree with most of Zachary's thoughts, but this time I can't.  The Leupold Compact 3-9 that I used had the worst image I've ever seen through a scope.  I couldn't tell if a spike buck even had spikes when I looked at it through 9x at 100 yds away. At 9x!!!   I had to keep going to my binocs to verify it was a buck.  I've never been so disappointed in a $300 scope.  Everything else about the scope was nice, right size, right weight, right finish.  Maybe it was just that scope?  Who knows?  I've never tried them again though.  The Burris I had was much better optically, just a bit heavier. 

Some other scopes you might want to consider in the size range of the Short Mag are the Nikon Monarch 1.5-4.5, Weaver Classic 2.5x and 1-3x, and the Leupold 1-4x and 1.5-5x.  Honestly, the Leupold FX 4x32 is a pretty compact scope itself, so consider it as well.

Offline erickrschaefer

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 01:25:01 PM »
Thanks guys. The only two scopes I have used on my rifles are Burris and Leupold and my all time favorite is Burris sraight 4x with a post. In my opinion a 4x is all the scope a deer hunter will ever need. I have made shots from 25yds in thick cedar swamps out to 200 yds across an open clearcut and never felt the need for anything other than a 4x.

I am going to take a seious lok at some straight 4x and try to find one I can have a post reticle put in.

Erick

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 01:52:03 PM »
I've got the following 4x scopes:

Nikon Buckmaster 4x40 on an T/C Omega

Weaver Grand Slam 4.75x40 on a Knight Disc Elite

Nikon ProStaff 4x32 on a T/C Black Diamond

Sightron 4x32 going on a stainless Marlin 336

Burris Fullfield 4x32 on it's way to Burris for a new x-hair  ::)

Used to use only variables, then realized that I always leave them on 3x-5x, so why bother with the variable thing?

Switched to fixed powers, never looked back.