Author Topic: Differences in various CVA ML's??  (Read 881 times)

Offline JimG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Differences in various CVA ML's??
« on: March 08, 2007, 06:21:35 AM »
Interested in buying a CVA ML. However I'm not sure what exactly the differences are between the few different models I keep seeing other than price and quality of the iron sights. On the bottom rung there is the Wolf and then there a a few models (Optima, Optima Elite, CVA 209, etc.) that look exactly the same from there steadily raising in cost. All I'm looking for is a rugged, simple, reliable, and accurate ML, not the fanciest, latest, or greatest. Thanks in advance.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: Differences in various CVA ML's??
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 07:40:53 AM »

They do have quite a wide selection that's for sure...I can say for the Optima Elites for me are the best choice...The frames are larger and stronger..and designed to be used with their new Bergara barrels...With the Elite..you can switch them out to fire any of the Bergara center fire barrels as well keeping it all on one frame...As a first time owner of one of these fine BP/Center fire rifles and ..I can say the results of what I have already achieved is excellent..and adds another option to my hunting...I have heard their regular Optimas are great shooters as well...and also their Kodiak are excellent performers as well line if your not interested in being able to have a center fire rifle capability...Here's how I did first time out with mine...http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,112267.0.html

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline mangulator

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 07:53:20 AM »
Mac11700, is correct and I love my Kodiak Pro-Magnum. I also, am going to invest in an elite when I get a chance. But right now I enjoy the Kodiak for a muzzleloader...

Offline oldrookie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 01:16:56 PM »
I can speak for the Optima. I am new to muzzleloading and was really looking for simplicity. I like the break action of the Optima. Easy to get to the plug, easy to install primer and very easy to clean. The fact they shoot well has turned out to be a bonus.

Offline dmurphy317

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 01:55:28 AM »
Out of the 7 ML'ers I have (4 of them are belong to my 2 son's) 6 of them are CVA/BPI guns. We have 3 Bobcats (2 50's and a 54) that are cheap, fun to shoot and quite effective out to 100 yards or so. 1 MagBolt 50 that is very accurate. 1 Optima that is also very accurate and 1 Apex that is also a shooter. I like different aspects of each of the guns and would consider any of them for hunting within their effective range.

I would suggest you try to get your hands on as many different models as you can and see how they fit you, then narrow it down based on your budget. Any of them would serve you well once you determine the style you want.

Good luck in your search.
David

It's better to shoot for the sky and come a bit short than to shoot for the ground and hit every time. After all, the ground is just a place to start, the sky's the limit.