Author Topic: Spring Turkey is coming  (Read 567 times)

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Spring Turkey is coming
« on: March 08, 2007, 11:25:53 AM »
So how many guys are getting ready for this coming turkey season already?  Got the MAB 10ga out last night and cleaned her up and replaced the battery in the Tru glow red dot don't want the battery going dead on me out in the field. Opening day myself and my wife will be going over to the eastern shore to hunt spring turkey this year.  After that I will be hunting closer to home.  I've walked the fields behind our house and notice two areas that had alot of turkey tracks in the fresh snow we got yesterday.  I didn't go to far back in the woods yet but I know where to start looking for roosting sites now. I figure they are coing up the valley into the fields to feed so I'll go into the woods from the over side and work my way to where I think they will be roosting.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Re: Spring Turkey is coming
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 01:24:04 PM »
My opener is May 25.  I attended a seminar last Saturday and gained a lot of info.  I have never hunted turkey before and it was kind of a surprise that I even drew a tag.  We are on the lottery system up here in Minnesota.  My zone didn't had fewer applicants than the number of tags they were alotted, so if you applied for my zone, you got a tag. 
I still need to collect some things, camo wear and camo burlap blind and a couple of calls.  Stimpylu32 has taken care of the major item.  He has agreed to sell me a 20ga Full choke barrel.  :D
I am really gettin' excited.  Lots of prep to do before my hunt, but its all fun stuff.  Ye Ha!

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 01:50:56 PM »
I fear that another year will go buy with me missing turkey season. In my current job I'm just to busy that time of year. In Delaware you also have to take a turkey hunting class even to hunt on your own private land! The last one for this year is saturday and I have to watch my kid while my wife shoots a wedding. I have a mess of turkeys on my place too. I guess I'll have to let the beards grow another year longer.

Dave you have a PM
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 10:53:02 AM »
Ok guys this is the kind of place you go to hunt when your married to a DNR officer.  We have reservation at the following B&B for our turkey hunt.

Pintail Point Manor House B&B,

511 Pintail Point Lane, Queenstown, Maryland. 10 rooms and suites, some w/fireplaces in two manor homes and one country house furnished in antiques. Location: On a 1,800 acre hunting preserve & estate on the Wye River. Amenities: Veranda, patio, pool, gardens, walking trails, bikes, charter boats & horse drawn carriage rides. Fishing, hunting and target ranges

We will be there the night before opening day then hunt the 18th April thru Sat 21th April.
The management of the B&B is also letting me do prehunt scouting as long as I do not carry a gun.
Here in Maryland no lottery if you didn't take a bird in the fall season you can take two male birds in the spring.  But since I scored a jake last fall I only have one tag left.  But Laura (My Wife) has two left. So we are looking forward to taking three birds this spring.
Man life is good......
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
  • .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum Stuff
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 02:12:04 PM »
DaveH,

Good for you! It sounds great, me and the family will be hunting Fort Leonard Wood this year. Alot more turkeys here than at Fort Stewart. You need to get some of them Wye River crabs in the summer, they are the best crabs in the area. Be advised that you and family will be invite to rabbit hunt in Delaware in four years. I have four more to go before retiring from Uncle Sam's Army.

Good Luck!

Froghunter
"Think Positive and Positive Things Will Happen"

"There's Only One Bore Size and That is .357....That's MHO"

Froghunter

Offline Markus

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 03:09:40 PM »
Dave aint that a place for rich folks from the western shore?

Froghunter there might not be any rabbits left in 4 years. subdivision after subdivision has drasticaly changed the face of Kent and Sussex couties. All of those folks comin down from north of the canal and NJ/Pa have bought up a lot of the land. That and all of the dang foxes. I'm sure you remember when seeing a fox was fairly rare now they are every where. I saw 3 road killed going from Wyoming to my place out in Hartly.Y'all can always come hunt squirrels on my place. I won't sell. It would be like selling the family or something.

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Ambushhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 05:12:58 AM »
My opener here in southern NJ is April 21st.  Just got e-mail notification yesterday that I drew a lottery permit.  Looking forward to it!!
NJCSD, ANJRPC, NRA
http://www.njcsd.org/

Offline ro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 02:02:40 PM »
season opens here tomorrow, mar 15 thur may 1, i am in n.e. mississippi, i will be in the woods before daylight in the morning.

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 10:43:29 AM »
Just a quick update......Laura is yelling at me to get off the computer........We have a horse drawn carriage ride to go on......Well opening day heard alot of turkeys.  But didn't get any close enough to shoot,,,, Well until we were walking back to the truck at noon time.  As we rounded the corner of the trail.  A BIG tom was just crossing the trail within 15 yards of us.  Of course I had my gun slinged over my shoulder and smoking a cigarette at the time.  Man I didn't know to crap or go blind.....I was trying to do four things at once.  1,  throw the cigarette away 2, get the gun unsung form my shoulder. 3, take the safety off. 4, mount the gun.  All I manage to do was put Laura into a fit of laughter.  That was yesterday.  When I can I will share with all you what happened today.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 12:03:24 PM »
Come on, make with the story. Were all sitting here waiting. Did you get one or what?